RE: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Struggling with Nadir Shot

  • Mark D. Fink
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
      Drew,

      This sounds like a FANTASTIC trip! Being somewhat literal minded, I got a
      kick out of your comment that you got "about 5 hours in a giant fig with a
      troop of Howler Monkeys..." OK, so you meant a fig TREE, but I like my
      version of it better. (Had no idea figs grew that big - is Nabisco aware of
      this...)

      Regarding shooting from the trees, do you mean setting up a tripod on a
      large branch, or suspended? If you are suspended, could you shoot free-hand
      while hanging upside down? Then, you'd have a zenith patch to do, but as
      long as you aren't too close to any of the detail, freehand might work. I'd
      probably pass out before finishing the sequence, what with all the blood
      rushing to my head, but it would be interesting to try.

      Mark
      www.pinnacle-vr.com
      www.nyc.360cities.net
      www.northernlight.net

      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
        On Monday, August 04, 2008 at 11:18, Drew Fulton wrote:

        > Once I get this nadir thing sorted, which I am nearly there thanks to
        > Hans, the next step is taking the whole rig into the tree.

        Like that: http://pano.erik-krause.de/gardens/index.htm ?

        best regards
      • Drew Fulton
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
          Something like that, except 20-30m/60-100 feet off the ground...

          Drew

          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
            On Monday, August 04, 2008 at 11:18, Drew Fulton wrote:

            > Hae some
            > ideas on how to make it work but keeping myself out of the pano isn't
            > as easy on the ground. Can't just walk around but have to move all of
            > my ropes as well. Should be quite a challenge and will post here once
            > I get one up, hopefully later this week.

            Shootin in a tree is very tricky, because there usually is near
            foreground which causes heavy parallax errors. You could fix a
            monopod to some branches like I did for the cherries shot. For the
            nadir shot I fixed it to some other branches. Befor I did that I
            carefully measured the distance of the NPP from some marked points
            and tried to put it in the same place after. Perhaps some laser
            pointers would do an even better job.

            Another idea would be you hang the camera on a monopod below you. If
            you add some extra weights you might balance the whole thing such,
            that the NPP hangs exactly below the end of the monopod, which would
            allow for simply rotating it around the center of gravity. If you use
            a fisheye lens and point it slightly down, you probably won't need a
            nadir shot, but then you'll have the Problems with the zenith shot.

            You need a cable release of course. I used a quite long one which
            reached to any positions I'm visible. Camera was set to self timer
            mode of course, allowing me to drop the cable and do something...

            In any case it's a good idea to shoot with very large overlap. This
            increases the chance to find some details you need for retouche.

            best regards
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008

              400m: http://pano.erik-krause.de/verdon/index.htm ;-)
            • crane@ukonline.co.uk
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
                Quoting Drew Fulton <drew@...>:

                > Something like that, except 20-30m/60-100 feet off the ground...

                I'm planning making a panorama from inside the basket of a hot air balloon
                next week.

                I thought to use 2 monopods.
                one with the mrotatorCP which is at 30 degree slant and the other with an arm
                on the end so the camera is looking back with nothing in the way.

                I will stick the pole out of the basket horizontally maybe using a boat
                rollock for support and turn the monopod to take 4-6 photos then put the
                camera on the other monopod and try to get the camera in the same place to
                shoot what will be the nadir.
                Everything needs to be clipped to a harness of course.

                I guess you could do a similar thing using a branch for support.
                and maybe have your ropes on the other side of the trunk of the tree.

                regards

                mick

              • John Riley
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
                  On Aug 4, 2008, at 1:53 PM, Mark D. Fink wrote:

                  > Drew,
                  >
                  > This sounds like a FANTASTIC trip! Being somewhat literal minded, I
                  > got a
                  > kick out of your comment that you got "about 5 hours in a giant fig
                  > with a
                  > troop of Howler Monkeys..." OK, so you meant a fig TREE, but I like my
                  > version of it better. (Had no idea figs grew that big - is Nabisco
                  > aware of
                  > this...)
                  >

                  > Mark
                  > www.pinnacle-vr.com
                  > www.nyc.360cities.net
                  > www.northernlight.net

                  Mark, these fig trees aren't any thing like you are used to in the
                  U.S.! They are way cool and HUGE. They start out as an epiphyte
                  growing on the tree, which drops vines that grow way down to the
                  ground. Near the ground, they encircle the tree and take root. Then
                  the vines meld together and eventually totally envelop the tree. It
                  grows limbs and leaves and becomes a tree itself, killing the host
                  tree inside. It is wild to see these huge vine-tree things, which
                  you usually can see through the gaps to the hollow interior.

                  There is a pretty amazing one in the area where drew is: <http://
                  www.costaricatravelscout.com/the-strangler-fig-tree.html>. The cloud
                  forest is so cool and spooky looking. I am jealous of his adventure!

                  John

                  John Riley
                  johnriley@...
                  jriley@...

                • Mark D. Fink
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 6, 2008

                    > Mark, these fig trees aren't any thing like you are used to in the
                    > U.S.! They are way cool and HUGE. They start out as an epiphyte
                    > growing on the tree, which drops vines that grow way down to the
                    > ground. Near the ground, they encircle the tree and take root. Then
                    > the vines meld together and eventually totally envelop the tree. It
                    > grows limbs and leaves and becomes a tree itself, killing the host
                    > tree inside. It is wild to see these huge vine-tree things, which
                    > you usually can see through the gaps to the hollow interior.
                    >
                    > There is a pretty amazing one in the area where drew is: <http://
                    > www.costaricatravelscout.com/the-strangler-fig-tree.html>. The cloud
                    > forest is so cool and spooky looking. I am jealous of his adventure!
                    >
                    > John

                    Simply amazing! I liked the reference to the Lord of the Rings. I can just
                    imagine a hobbit climbing up inside one of those. Reminiscent of Mirkwood...

                    Mark
                    www.pinnacle-vr.com
                    www.nyc.360cities.net
                    www.northernlight.net