RE: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Struggling with Nadir Shot

  • Sacha Griffin
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
      Fantastic setup. I'd say it'd require an assistant or an extra level of care
      reserved for certain types of people.

      I guarantee if I shot like that alone, I'd knock into it one day and topple
      it over.

      The good part about yours, is that you reserve the max shooting height
      mostly.

      Whereas using the center column, (for tripods with a rotatable/angelable
      center column) you sacrifice the max height of the system. So you can't
      shoot your normal shots with the center column fully extended.

      An example tripod would be the gitzo 2220.

      However, I am not a tall person, so I rarely shoot at max height anyway.

      The good part about some fisheyes, is the lack of flare visible. Combined
      with a rotated image with overlap, you can eliminate any visible flare in
      the previous image.

      Drew//

      I started using a 14mm lens but was getting a whole lot of lens flare
      that I wasn't real happy with.

      The nodal ninja5 is lockable in all positions, however, the horizontal arm
      is just not long enough to flip the vertical assembly using a 5d 10.5 combo.
      This flip allows the head to face on the other side of the center of the
      tripod. You may not able point straight down and clear the entire tripod
      hole, but you maybe able to compensate using viewpoint correction.

      Sacha Griffin

      Southern Digital Solutions LLC

      http://www.southern-digital.com

      http://www.seeit360.net

      404-551-4275

      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
        On Aug 4, 2008, at 1:18 PM, Drew Fulton wrote:

        > Once I get this nadir thing sorted, which I am nearly there thanks to
        > Hans, the next step is taking the whole rig into the tree. Hae some
        > ideas on how to make it work but keeping myself out of the pano isn't
        > as easy on the ground. Can't just walk around but have to move all of
        > my ropes as well. Should be quite a challenge and will post here once
        > I get one up, hopefully later this week.

        Now, for that you need Ignacio Ferrando! Have you seen his
        unbelieveable "how the heck did you do that??" panos made while
        mountain climbing, ice climbing, outside a helicopter, etc, etc? He
        would be the go-to guy for something like that!

        Good luck and enjoy the adventure. Pura Vida!

        John

        John Riley
        johnriley@...
        jriley@...

      • Mark D. Fink
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
          Drew,

          This sounds like a FANTASTIC trip! Being somewhat literal minded, I got a
          kick out of your comment that you got "about 5 hours in a giant fig with a
          troop of Howler Monkeys..." OK, so you meant a fig TREE, but I like my
          version of it better. (Had no idea figs grew that big - is Nabisco aware of
          this...)

          Regarding shooting from the trees, do you mean setting up a tripod on a
          large branch, or suspended? If you are suspended, could you shoot free-hand
          while hanging upside down? Then, you'd have a zenith patch to do, but as
          long as you aren't too close to any of the detail, freehand might work. I'd
          probably pass out before finishing the sequence, what with all the blood
          rushing to my head, but it would be interesting to try.

          Mark
          www.pinnacle-vr.com
          www.nyc.360cities.net
          www.northernlight.net

          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
            On Monday, August 04, 2008 at 11:18, Drew Fulton wrote:

            > Once I get this nadir thing sorted, which I am nearly there thanks to
            > Hans, the next step is taking the whole rig into the tree.

            Like that: http://pano.erik-krause.de/gardens/index.htm ?

            best regards
          • Drew Fulton
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
              Something like that, except 20-30m/60-100 feet off the ground...

              Drew

              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
                On Monday, August 04, 2008 at 11:18, Drew Fulton wrote:

                > Hae some
                > ideas on how to make it work but keeping myself out of the pano isn't
                > as easy on the ground. Can't just walk around but have to move all of
                > my ropes as well. Should be quite a challenge and will post here once
                > I get one up, hopefully later this week.

                Shootin in a tree is very tricky, because there usually is near
                foreground which causes heavy parallax errors. You could fix a
                monopod to some branches like I did for the cherries shot. For the
                nadir shot I fixed it to some other branches. Befor I did that I
                carefully measured the distance of the NPP from some marked points
                and tried to put it in the same place after. Perhaps some laser
                pointers would do an even better job.

                Another idea would be you hang the camera on a monopod below you. If
                you add some extra weights you might balance the whole thing such,
                that the NPP hangs exactly below the end of the monopod, which would
                allow for simply rotating it around the center of gravity. If you use
                a fisheye lens and point it slightly down, you probably won't need a
                nadir shot, but then you'll have the Problems with the zenith shot.

                You need a cable release of course. I used a quite long one which
                reached to any positions I'm visible. Camera was set to self timer
                mode of course, allowing me to drop the cable and do something...

                In any case it's a good idea to shoot with very large overlap. This
                increases the chance to find some details you need for retouche.

                best regards
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008

                  400m: http://pano.erik-krause.de/verdon/index.htm ;-)
                • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
                    Quoting Drew Fulton <drew@...>:

                    > Something like that, except 20-30m/60-100 feet off the ground...

                    I'm planning making a panorama from inside the basket of a hot air balloon
                    next week.

                    I thought to use 2 monopods.
                    one with the mrotatorCP which is at 30 degree slant and the other with an arm
                    on the end so the camera is looking back with nothing in the way.

                    I will stick the pole out of the basket horizontally maybe using a boat
                    rollock for support and turn the monopod to take 4-6 photos then put the
                    camera on the other monopod and try to get the camera in the same place to
                    shoot what will be the nadir.
                    Everything needs to be clipped to a harness of course.

                    I guess you could do a similar thing using a branch for support.
                    and maybe have your ropes on the other side of the trunk of the tree.

                    regards

                    mick

                  • John Riley
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
                      On Aug 4, 2008, at 1:53 PM, Mark D. Fink wrote:

                      > Drew,
                      >
                      > This sounds like a FANTASTIC trip! Being somewhat literal minded, I
                      > got a
                      > kick out of your comment that you got "about 5 hours in a giant fig
                      > with a
                      > troop of Howler Monkeys..." OK, so you meant a fig TREE, but I like my
                      > version of it better. (Had no idea figs grew that big - is Nabisco
                      > aware of
                      > this...)
                      >

                      > Mark
                      > www.pinnacle-vr.com
                      > www.nyc.360cities.net
                      > www.northernlight.net

                      Mark, these fig trees aren't any thing like you are used to in the
                      U.S.! They are way cool and HUGE. They start out as an epiphyte
                      growing on the tree, which drops vines that grow way down to the
                      ground. Near the ground, they encircle the tree and take root. Then
                      the vines meld together and eventually totally envelop the tree. It
                      grows limbs and leaves and becomes a tree itself, killing the host
                      tree inside. It is wild to see these huge vine-tree things, which
                      you usually can see through the gaps to the hollow interior.

                      There is a pretty amazing one in the area where drew is: <http://
                      www.costaricatravelscout.com/the-strangler-fig-tree.html>. The cloud
                      forest is so cool and spooky looking. I am jealous of his adventure!

                      John

                      John Riley
                      johnriley@...
                      jriley@...

                    • Mark D. Fink
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 6, 2008

                        > Mark, these fig trees aren't any thing like you are used to in the
                        > U.S.! They are way cool and HUGE. They start out as an epiphyte
                        > growing on the tree, which drops vines that grow way down to the
                        > ground. Near the ground, they encircle the tree and take root. Then
                        > the vines meld together and eventually totally envelop the tree. It
                        > grows limbs and leaves and becomes a tree itself, killing the host
                        > tree inside. It is wild to see these huge vine-tree things, which
                        > you usually can see through the gaps to the hollow interior.
                        >
                        > There is a pretty amazing one in the area where drew is: <http://
                        > www.costaricatravelscout.com/the-strangler-fig-tree.html>. The cloud
                        > forest is so cool and spooky looking. I am jealous of his adventure!
                        >
                        > John

                        Simply amazing! I liked the reference to the Lord of the Rings. I can just
                        imagine a hobbit climbing up inside one of those. Reminiscent of Mirkwood...

                        Mark
                        www.pinnacle-vr.com
                        www.nyc.360cities.net
                        www.northernlight.net