Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Struggling with Nadir Shot

  • John Riley
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
      On Aug 4, 2008, at 11:24 AM, Hans Nyberg wrote:

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Drew Fulton <drew@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hans,
      > >
      > > This looks like exactly what I am looking for. I'll give it a try
      > > here in a couple minutes. Thanks!
      >
      > Be careful, as I said the Adjuste can easy turn around.
      >
      > Hans

      Maybe a little duct tape can keep it from rotating? And Hans, what
      do you mean in your tutorial when you say you can use a spigot on the
      monopod? At least in american english, a spigot is the thing water
      comes out of in a sink. Do you mean a clamp of some sort? Very good
      ideas in your tutorial. I will have to try that with my Absolute
      head (and have some duct tape to lock the head too.)

      Drew, I wish I were in Costa Rica so I could come see your work.
      This is only the second time in 10 years I haven't been there for the
      summer 8-( My wife is a Tica and, in fact, her mother just returned
      from CR three days ago. You picked a really wet time of the year to
      be shooting! Which area are you in? Monteverde?

      John

      John Riley
      johnriley@...
      jriley@...

    • Hans Nyberg
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008

        > On Aug 4, 2008, at 11:24 AM, Hans Nyberg wrote:
        >
        > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Drew Fulton <drew@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hans,
        > > >
        > > > This looks like exactly what I am looking for. I'll give it a try
        > > > here in a couple minutes. Thanks!
        > >
        > > Be careful, as I said the Adjuste can easy turn around.
        > >
        > > Hans
        >
        > Maybe a little duct tape can keep it from rotating? And Hans, what
        > do you mean in your tutorial when you say you can use a spigot on the
        > monopod? At least in american english, a spigot is the thing water
        > comes out of in a sink. Do you mean a clamp of some sort? Very good
        > ideas in your tutorial. I will have to try that with my Absolute
        > head (and have some duct tape to lock the head too.)

        Sorry I meant a spike. Thanks for the correction.
        Hans
      • Mark D. Fink
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
          Hans,

          Great tutorial, especially if people don't have the Pro version of PTGui
          that allows viewpoint correction.

          <shameless plug>
          If you do have PTGui Pro, AND you're not already in Costa Rica in the midst
          of a shoot, :o) the Pinnacle VR has an option that makes shooting the nadir
          very easy. I've been using it extensively these last few months, and cringe
          when I look at my old work where I used a clone tool to fake my nadirs. You
          can see the relevant details at position 4:40 in the video I have on my site
          - http://www.pinnacle-vr.com
          </shameless plug>

          However, if you are working with uneven terrain, this approach doesn't work
          nearly as well as yours, Hans. PTGui Pro can handle some variation in
          topography, but not a lot of it.

          Mark
          www.pinnacle-vr.com
          www.nyc.360cities.net
          www.northernlight.net

          >Here is a tutorial I just set up on how to take a perfect nadir.
          >http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/nadir/
          >
          >Unfortunatelly the 360 precision Adjuste is missing an important feature
          >for this, It does
          >not have a locking knob for the rotator.
          >
          >I just tried one a week ago and was surprised that this was not possible.
          >This is in my opinion a large miss as I also find it important for
          >transporting the tripod
          >with the head on.
          >Even if the click stops are very firm the panohead can easy rotate when you
          >lean the
          >tripod.
          >
          >Hans

        • Drew Fulton
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
            John,

            I am currently working on a project here in Monteverde. We have been
            here about 4 weeks and have 3 to go. It is quite a wet time but when
            you are working with someone researching clouds, its a good time to be
            here. We will be returning again in February/March so will have a
            comparison of the dry season as well. Check out our site, http://www.canopyintheclouds.com
            to see some photos, video and learn a lot more about the project.

            Its a mighty tough place to work as everything is so dark and wet.
            Add the fact that I am often working dangling by rope in the top of
            the tree and things get really tough. Did get about 5 hours in a
            giant fig with a troop of Howler Monkeys last week. Quite an
            experience.

            Once I get this nadir thing sorted, which I am nearly there thanks to
            Hans, the next step is taking the whole rig into the tree. Hae some
            ideas on how to make it work but keeping myself out of the pano isn't
            as easy on the ground. Can't just walk around but have to move all of
            my ropes as well. Should be quite a challenge and will post here once
            I get one up, hopefully later this week.

            I just want to say thanks to all those who have supported this
            project. Matt at 360Precision provided the heads and Joost provided a
            copy of PtGui for my use. I couldn't be doing it without there
            support. Thanks again.

            Best,
            Drew

            On Aug 4, 2008, at 10:55 AM, John Riley wrote:

            > On Aug 4, 2008, at 11:24 AM, Hans Nyberg wrote:
            >
            >> --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Drew Fulton <drew@...> wrote:
            >>>
            >>> Hans,
            >>>
            >>> This looks like exactly what I am looking for. I'll give it a try
            >>> here in a couple minutes. Thanks!
            >>
            >> Be careful, as I said the Adjuste can easy turn around.
            >>
            >> Hans
            >
            > Maybe a little duct tape can keep it from rotating? And Hans, what
            > do you mean in your tutorial when you say you can use a spigot on the
            > monopod? At least in american english, a spigot is the thing water
            > comes out of in a sink. Do you mean a clamp of some sort? Very good
            > ideas in your tutorial. I will have to try that with my Absolute
            > head (and have some duct tape to lock the head too.)
            >
            > Drew, I wish I were in Costa Rica so I could come see your work.
            > This is only the second time in 10 years I haven't been there for the
            > summer 8-( My wife is a Tica and, in fact, her mother just returned
            > from CR three days ago. You picked a really wet time of the year to
            > be shooting! Which area are you in? Monteverde?
            >
            > John
            >

            > John Riley
            > johnriley@...
            > jriley@...

          • Sacha Griffin
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
              Fantastic setup. I'd say it'd require an assistant or an extra level of care
              reserved for certain types of people.

              I guarantee if I shot like that alone, I'd knock into it one day and topple
              it over.

              The good part about yours, is that you reserve the max shooting height
              mostly.

              Whereas using the center column, (for tripods with a rotatable/angelable
              center column) you sacrifice the max height of the system. So you can't
              shoot your normal shots with the center column fully extended.

              An example tripod would be the gitzo 2220.

              However, I am not a tall person, so I rarely shoot at max height anyway.

              The good part about some fisheyes, is the lack of flare visible. Combined
              with a rotated image with overlap, you can eliminate any visible flare in
              the previous image.

              Drew//

              I started using a 14mm lens but was getting a whole lot of lens flare
              that I wasn't real happy with.

              The nodal ninja5 is lockable in all positions, however, the horizontal arm
              is just not long enough to flip the vertical assembly using a 5d 10.5 combo.
              This flip allows the head to face on the other side of the center of the
              tripod. You may not able point straight down and clear the entire tripod
              hole, but you maybe able to compensate using viewpoint correction.

              Sacha Griffin

              Southern Digital Solutions LLC

              http://www.southern-digital.com

              http://www.seeit360.net

              404-551-4275

              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
                On Aug 4, 2008, at 1:18 PM, Drew Fulton wrote:

                > Once I get this nadir thing sorted, which I am nearly there thanks to
                > Hans, the next step is taking the whole rig into the tree. Hae some
                > ideas on how to make it work but keeping myself out of the pano isn't
                > as easy on the ground. Can't just walk around but have to move all of
                > my ropes as well. Should be quite a challenge and will post here once
                > I get one up, hopefully later this week.

                Now, for that you need Ignacio Ferrando! Have you seen his
                unbelieveable "how the heck did you do that??" panos made while
                mountain climbing, ice climbing, outside a helicopter, etc, etc? He
                would be the go-to guy for something like that!

                Good luck and enjoy the adventure. Pura Vida!

                John

                John Riley
                johnriley@...
                jriley@...

              • Mark D. Fink
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
                  Drew,

                  This sounds like a FANTASTIC trip! Being somewhat literal minded, I got a
                  kick out of your comment that you got "about 5 hours in a giant fig with a
                  troop of Howler Monkeys..." OK, so you meant a fig TREE, but I like my
                  version of it better. (Had no idea figs grew that big - is Nabisco aware of
                  this...)

                  Regarding shooting from the trees, do you mean setting up a tripod on a
                  large branch, or suspended? If you are suspended, could you shoot free-hand
                  while hanging upside down? Then, you'd have a zenith patch to do, but as
                  long as you aren't too close to any of the detail, freehand might work. I'd
                  probably pass out before finishing the sequence, what with all the blood
                  rushing to my head, but it would be interesting to try.

                  Mark
                  www.pinnacle-vr.com
                  www.nyc.360cities.net
                  www.northernlight.net

                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
                    On Monday, August 04, 2008 at 11:18, Drew Fulton wrote:

                    > Once I get this nadir thing sorted, which I am nearly there thanks to
                    > Hans, the next step is taking the whole rig into the tree.

                    Like that: http://pano.erik-krause.de/gardens/index.htm ?

                    best regards
                  • Drew Fulton
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
                      Something like that, except 20-30m/60-100 feet off the ground...

                      Drew

                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
                        On Monday, August 04, 2008 at 11:18, Drew Fulton wrote:

                        > Hae some
                        > ideas on how to make it work but keeping myself out of the pano isn't
                        > as easy on the ground. Can't just walk around but have to move all of
                        > my ropes as well. Should be quite a challenge and will post here once
                        > I get one up, hopefully later this week.

                        Shootin in a tree is very tricky, because there usually is near
                        foreground which causes heavy parallax errors. You could fix a
                        monopod to some branches like I did for the cherries shot. For the
                        nadir shot I fixed it to some other branches. Befor I did that I
                        carefully measured the distance of the NPP from some marked points
                        and tried to put it in the same place after. Perhaps some laser
                        pointers would do an even better job.

                        Another idea would be you hang the camera on a monopod below you. If
                        you add some extra weights you might balance the whole thing such,
                        that the NPP hangs exactly below the end of the monopod, which would
                        allow for simply rotating it around the center of gravity. If you use
                        a fisheye lens and point it slightly down, you probably won't need a
                        nadir shot, but then you'll have the Problems with the zenith shot.

                        You need a cable release of course. I used a quite long one which
                        reached to any positions I'm visible. Camera was set to self timer
                        mode of course, allowing me to drop the cable and do something...

                        In any case it's a good idea to shoot with very large overlap. This
                        increases the chance to find some details you need for retouche.

                        best regards
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008

                          400m: http://pano.erik-krause.de/verdon/index.htm ;-)
                        • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
                            Quoting Drew Fulton <drew@...>:

                            > Something like that, except 20-30m/60-100 feet off the ground...

                            I'm planning making a panorama from inside the basket of a hot air balloon
                            next week.

                            I thought to use 2 monopods.
                            one with the mrotatorCP which is at 30 degree slant and the other with an arm
                            on the end so the camera is looking back with nothing in the way.

                            I will stick the pole out of the basket horizontally maybe using a boat
                            rollock for support and turn the monopod to take 4-6 photos then put the
                            camera on the other monopod and try to get the camera in the same place to
                            shoot what will be the nadir.
                            Everything needs to be clipped to a harness of course.

                            I guess you could do a similar thing using a branch for support.
                            and maybe have your ropes on the other side of the trunk of the tree.

                            regards

                            mick

                          • John Riley
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
                              On Aug 4, 2008, at 1:53 PM, Mark D. Fink wrote:

                              > Drew,
                              >
                              > This sounds like a FANTASTIC trip! Being somewhat literal minded, I
                              > got a
                              > kick out of your comment that you got "about 5 hours in a giant fig
                              > with a
                              > troop of Howler Monkeys..." OK, so you meant a fig TREE, but I like my
                              > version of it better. (Had no idea figs grew that big - is Nabisco
                              > aware of
                              > this...)
                              >

                              > Mark
                              > www.pinnacle-vr.com
                              > www.nyc.360cities.net
                              > www.northernlight.net

                              Mark, these fig trees aren't any thing like you are used to in the
                              U.S.! They are way cool and HUGE. They start out as an epiphyte
                              growing on the tree, which drops vines that grow way down to the
                              ground. Near the ground, they encircle the tree and take root. Then
                              the vines meld together and eventually totally envelop the tree. It
                              grows limbs and leaves and becomes a tree itself, killing the host
                              tree inside. It is wild to see these huge vine-tree things, which
                              you usually can see through the gaps to the hollow interior.

                              There is a pretty amazing one in the area where drew is: <http://
                              www.costaricatravelscout.com/the-strangler-fig-tree.html>. The cloud
                              forest is so cool and spooky looking. I am jealous of his adventure!

                              John

                              John Riley
                              johnriley@...
                              jriley@...

                            • Mark D. Fink
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 6, 2008

                                > Mark, these fig trees aren't any thing like you are used to in the
                                > U.S.! They are way cool and HUGE. They start out as an epiphyte
                                > growing on the tree, which drops vines that grow way down to the
                                > ground. Near the ground, they encircle the tree and take root. Then
                                > the vines meld together and eventually totally envelop the tree. It
                                > grows limbs and leaves and becomes a tree itself, killing the host
                                > tree inside. It is wild to see these huge vine-tree things, which
                                > you usually can see through the gaps to the hollow interior.
                                >
                                > There is a pretty amazing one in the area where drew is: <http://
                                > www.costaricatravelscout.com/the-strangler-fig-tree.html>. The cloud
                                > forest is so cool and spooky looking. I am jealous of his adventure!
                                >
                                > John

                                Simply amazing! I liked the reference to the Lord of the Rings. I can just
                                imagine a hobbit climbing up inside one of those. Reminiscent of Mirkwood...

                                Mark
                                www.pinnacle-vr.com
                                www.nyc.360cities.net
                                www.northernlight.net