Re: Struggling with Nadir Shot

  • Hans Nyberg
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 4 8:24 AM
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Drew Fulton <drew@...> wrote:

      > Hans,
      >
      > This looks like exactly what I am looking for. I'll give it a try
      > here in a couple minutes. Thanks!

      Be careful, as I said the Adjuste can easy turn around.

      Hans
    • John Riley
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 4 9:55 AM
        On Aug 4, 2008, at 11:24 AM, Hans Nyberg wrote:

        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Drew Fulton <drew@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hans,
        > >
        > > This looks like exactly what I am looking for. I'll give it a try
        > > here in a couple minutes. Thanks!
        >
        > Be careful, as I said the Adjuste can easy turn around.
        >
        > Hans

        Maybe a little duct tape can keep it from rotating? And Hans, what
        do you mean in your tutorial when you say you can use a spigot on the
        monopod? At least in american english, a spigot is the thing water
        comes out of in a sink. Do you mean a clamp of some sort? Very good
        ideas in your tutorial. I will have to try that with my Absolute
        head (and have some duct tape to lock the head too.)

        Drew, I wish I were in Costa Rica so I could come see your work.
        This is only the second time in 10 years I haven't been there for the
        summer 8-( My wife is a Tica and, in fact, her mother just returned
        from CR three days ago. You picked a really wet time of the year to
        be shooting! Which area are you in? Monteverde?

        John

        John Riley
        johnriley@...
        jriley@...

      • Hans Nyberg
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 4 10:05 AM

          > On Aug 4, 2008, at 11:24 AM, Hans Nyberg wrote:
          >
          > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Drew Fulton <drew@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hans,
          > > >
          > > > This looks like exactly what I am looking for. I'll give it a try
          > > > here in a couple minutes. Thanks!
          > >
          > > Be careful, as I said the Adjuste can easy turn around.
          > >
          > > Hans
          >
          > Maybe a little duct tape can keep it from rotating? And Hans, what
          > do you mean in your tutorial when you say you can use a spigot on the
          > monopod? At least in american english, a spigot is the thing water
          > comes out of in a sink. Do you mean a clamp of some sort? Very good
          > ideas in your tutorial. I will have to try that with my Absolute
          > head (and have some duct tape to lock the head too.)

          Sorry I meant a spike. Thanks for the correction.
          Hans
        • Mark D. Fink
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 4 10:15 AM
            Hans,

            Great tutorial, especially if people don't have the Pro version of PTGui
            that allows viewpoint correction.

            <shameless plug>
            If you do have PTGui Pro, AND you're not already in Costa Rica in the midst
            of a shoot, :o) the Pinnacle VR has an option that makes shooting the nadir
            very easy. I've been using it extensively these last few months, and cringe
            when I look at my old work where I used a clone tool to fake my nadirs. You
            can see the relevant details at position 4:40 in the video I have on my site
            - http://www.pinnacle-vr.com
            </shameless plug>

            However, if you are working with uneven terrain, this approach doesn't work
            nearly as well as yours, Hans. PTGui Pro can handle some variation in
            topography, but not a lot of it.

            Mark
            www.pinnacle-vr.com
            www.nyc.360cities.net
            www.northernlight.net

            >Here is a tutorial I just set up on how to take a perfect nadir.
            >http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/nadir/
            >
            >Unfortunatelly the 360 precision Adjuste is missing an important feature
            >for this, It does
            >not have a locking knob for the rotator.
            >
            >I just tried one a week ago and was surprised that this was not possible.
            >This is in my opinion a large miss as I also find it important for
            >transporting the tripod
            >with the head on.
            >Even if the click stops are very firm the panohead can easy rotate when you
            >lean the
            >tripod.
            >
            >Hans

          • Drew Fulton
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 4 10:18 AM
              John,

              I am currently working on a project here in Monteverde. We have been
              here about 4 weeks and have 3 to go. It is quite a wet time but when
              you are working with someone researching clouds, its a good time to be
              here. We will be returning again in February/March so will have a
              comparison of the dry season as well. Check out our site, http://www.canopyintheclouds.com
              to see some photos, video and learn a lot more about the project.

              Its a mighty tough place to work as everything is so dark and wet.
              Add the fact that I am often working dangling by rope in the top of
              the tree and things get really tough. Did get about 5 hours in a
              giant fig with a troop of Howler Monkeys last week. Quite an
              experience.

              Once I get this nadir thing sorted, which I am nearly there thanks to
              Hans, the next step is taking the whole rig into the tree. Hae some
              ideas on how to make it work but keeping myself out of the pano isn't
              as easy on the ground. Can't just walk around but have to move all of
              my ropes as well. Should be quite a challenge and will post here once
              I get one up, hopefully later this week.

              I just want to say thanks to all those who have supported this
              project. Matt at 360Precision provided the heads and Joost provided a
              copy of PtGui for my use. I couldn't be doing it without there
              support. Thanks again.

              Best,
              Drew

              On Aug 4, 2008, at 10:55 AM, John Riley wrote:

              > On Aug 4, 2008, at 11:24 AM, Hans Nyberg wrote:
              >
              >> --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Drew Fulton <drew@...> wrote:
              >>>
              >>> Hans,
              >>>
              >>> This looks like exactly what I am looking for. I'll give it a try
              >>> here in a couple minutes. Thanks!
              >>
              >> Be careful, as I said the Adjuste can easy turn around.
              >>
              >> Hans
              >
              > Maybe a little duct tape can keep it from rotating? And Hans, what
              > do you mean in your tutorial when you say you can use a spigot on the
              > monopod? At least in american english, a spigot is the thing water
              > comes out of in a sink. Do you mean a clamp of some sort? Very good
              > ideas in your tutorial. I will have to try that with my Absolute
              > head (and have some duct tape to lock the head too.)
              >
              > Drew, I wish I were in Costa Rica so I could come see your work.
              > This is only the second time in 10 years I haven't been there for the
              > summer 8-( My wife is a Tica and, in fact, her mother just returned
              > from CR three days ago. You picked a really wet time of the year to
              > be shooting! Which area are you in? Monteverde?
              >
              > John
              >

              > John Riley
              > johnriley@...
              > jriley@...

            • Sacha Griffin
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 4 10:20 AM
                Fantastic setup. I'd say it'd require an assistant or an extra level of care
                reserved for certain types of people.

                I guarantee if I shot like that alone, I'd knock into it one day and topple
                it over.

                The good part about yours, is that you reserve the max shooting height
                mostly.

                Whereas using the center column, (for tripods with a rotatable/angelable
                center column) you sacrifice the max height of the system. So you can't
                shoot your normal shots with the center column fully extended.

                An example tripod would be the gitzo 2220.

                However, I am not a tall person, so I rarely shoot at max height anyway.

                The good part about some fisheyes, is the lack of flare visible. Combined
                with a rotated image with overlap, you can eliminate any visible flare in
                the previous image.

                Drew//

                I started using a 14mm lens but was getting a whole lot of lens flare
                that I wasn't real happy with.

                The nodal ninja5 is lockable in all positions, however, the horizontal arm
                is just not long enough to flip the vertical assembly using a 5d 10.5 combo.
                This flip allows the head to face on the other side of the center of the
                tripod. You may not able point straight down and clear the entire tripod
                hole, but you maybe able to compensate using viewpoint correction.

                Sacha Griffin

                Southern Digital Solutions LLC

                http://www.southern-digital.com

                http://www.seeit360.net

                404-551-4275

                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 4 10:27 AM
                  On Aug 4, 2008, at 1:18 PM, Drew Fulton wrote:

                  > Once I get this nadir thing sorted, which I am nearly there thanks to
                  > Hans, the next step is taking the whole rig into the tree. Hae some
                  > ideas on how to make it work but keeping myself out of the pano isn't
                  > as easy on the ground. Can't just walk around but have to move all of
                  > my ropes as well. Should be quite a challenge and will post here once
                  > I get one up, hopefully later this week.

                  Now, for that you need Ignacio Ferrando! Have you seen his
                  unbelieveable "how the heck did you do that??" panos made while
                  mountain climbing, ice climbing, outside a helicopter, etc, etc? He
                  would be the go-to guy for something like that!

                  Good luck and enjoy the adventure. Pura Vida!

                  John

                  John Riley
                  johnriley@...
                  jriley@...

                • Mark D. Fink
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 4 10:53 AM
                    Drew,

                    This sounds like a FANTASTIC trip! Being somewhat literal minded, I got a
                    kick out of your comment that you got "about 5 hours in a giant fig with a
                    troop of Howler Monkeys..." OK, so you meant a fig TREE, but I like my
                    version of it better. (Had no idea figs grew that big - is Nabisco aware of
                    this...)

                    Regarding shooting from the trees, do you mean setting up a tripod on a
                    large branch, or suspended? If you are suspended, could you shoot free-hand
                    while hanging upside down? Then, you'd have a zenith patch to do, but as
                    long as you aren't too close to any of the detail, freehand might work. I'd
                    probably pass out before finishing the sequence, what with all the blood
                    rushing to my head, but it would be interesting to try.

                    Mark
                    www.pinnacle-vr.com
                    www.nyc.360cities.net
                    www.northernlight.net

                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 4 10:55 AM
                      On Monday, August 04, 2008 at 11:18, Drew Fulton wrote:

                      > Once I get this nadir thing sorted, which I am nearly there thanks to
                      > Hans, the next step is taking the whole rig into the tree.

                      Like that: http://pano.erik-krause.de/gardens/index.htm ?

                      best regards
                    • Drew Fulton
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 4 11:01 AM
                        Something like that, except 20-30m/60-100 feet off the ground...

                        Drew

                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 4 11:15 AM
                          On Monday, August 04, 2008 at 11:18, Drew Fulton wrote:

                          > Hae some
                          > ideas on how to make it work but keeping myself out of the pano isn't
                          > as easy on the ground. Can't just walk around but have to move all of
                          > my ropes as well. Should be quite a challenge and will post here once
                          > I get one up, hopefully later this week.

                          Shootin in a tree is very tricky, because there usually is near
                          foreground which causes heavy parallax errors. You could fix a
                          monopod to some branches like I did for the cherries shot. For the
                          nadir shot I fixed it to some other branches. Befor I did that I
                          carefully measured the distance of the NPP from some marked points
                          and tried to put it in the same place after. Perhaps some laser
                          pointers would do an even better job.

                          Another idea would be you hang the camera on a monopod below you. If
                          you add some extra weights you might balance the whole thing such,
                          that the NPP hangs exactly below the end of the monopod, which would
                          allow for simply rotating it around the center of gravity. If you use
                          a fisheye lens and point it slightly down, you probably won't need a
                          nadir shot, but then you'll have the Problems with the zenith shot.

                          You need a cable release of course. I used a quite long one which
                          reached to any positions I'm visible. Camera was set to self timer
                          mode of course, allowing me to drop the cable and do something...

                          In any case it's a good idea to shoot with very large overlap. This
                          increases the chance to find some details you need for retouche.

                          best regards
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 4 11:16 AM

                            400m: http://pano.erik-krause.de/verdon/index.htm ;-)
                          • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 4 11:18 AM
                              Quoting Drew Fulton <drew@...>:

                              > Something like that, except 20-30m/60-100 feet off the ground...

                              I'm planning making a panorama from inside the basket of a hot air balloon
                              next week.

                              I thought to use 2 monopods.
                              one with the mrotatorCP which is at 30 degree slant and the other with an arm
                              on the end so the camera is looking back with nothing in the way.

                              I will stick the pole out of the basket horizontally maybe using a boat
                              rollock for support and turn the monopod to take 4-6 photos then put the
                              camera on the other monopod and try to get the camera in the same place to
                              shoot what will be the nadir.
                              Everything needs to be clipped to a harness of course.

                              I guess you could do a similar thing using a branch for support.
                              and maybe have your ropes on the other side of the trunk of the tree.

                              regards

                              mick

                            • John Riley
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 4 2:55 PM
                                On Aug 4, 2008, at 1:53 PM, Mark D. Fink wrote:

                                > Drew,
                                >
                                > This sounds like a FANTASTIC trip! Being somewhat literal minded, I
                                > got a
                                > kick out of your comment that you got "about 5 hours in a giant fig
                                > with a
                                > troop of Howler Monkeys..." OK, so you meant a fig TREE, but I like my
                                > version of it better. (Had no idea figs grew that big - is Nabisco
                                > aware of
                                > this...)
                                >

                                > Mark
                                > www.pinnacle-vr.com
                                > www.nyc.360cities.net
                                > www.northernlight.net

                                Mark, these fig trees aren't any thing like you are used to in the
                                U.S.! They are way cool and HUGE. They start out as an epiphyte
                                growing on the tree, which drops vines that grow way down to the
                                ground. Near the ground, they encircle the tree and take root. Then
                                the vines meld together and eventually totally envelop the tree. It
                                grows limbs and leaves and becomes a tree itself, killing the host
                                tree inside. It is wild to see these huge vine-tree things, which
                                you usually can see through the gaps to the hollow interior.

                                There is a pretty amazing one in the area where drew is: <http://
                                www.costaricatravelscout.com/the-strangler-fig-tree.html>. The cloud
                                forest is so cool and spooky looking. I am jealous of his adventure!

                                John

                                John Riley
                                johnriley@...
                                jriley@...

                              • Mark D. Fink
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 6 6:14 AM

                                  > Mark, these fig trees aren't any thing like you are used to in the
                                  > U.S.! They are way cool and HUGE. They start out as an epiphyte
                                  > growing on the tree, which drops vines that grow way down to the
                                  > ground. Near the ground, they encircle the tree and take root. Then
                                  > the vines meld together and eventually totally envelop the tree. It
                                  > grows limbs and leaves and becomes a tree itself, killing the host
                                  > tree inside. It is wild to see these huge vine-tree things, which
                                  > you usually can see through the gaps to the hollow interior.
                                  >
                                  > There is a pretty amazing one in the area where drew is: <http://
                                  > www.costaricatravelscout.com/the-strangler-fig-tree.html>. The cloud
                                  > forest is so cool and spooky looking. I am jealous of his adventure!
                                  >
                                  > John

                                  Simply amazing! I liked the reference to the Lord of the Rings. I can just
                                  imagine a hobbit climbing up inside one of those. Reminiscent of Mirkwood...

                                  Mark
                                  www.pinnacle-vr.com
                                  www.nyc.360cities.net
                                  www.northernlight.net