Re: [PanoToolsNG] Struggling with Nadir Shot

  • Drew Fulton
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
      Sacha,

      Thanks for the suggestions. I agree with the lens statement. I
      started using a 14mm lens but was getting a whole lot of lens flare
      that I wasn't real happy with. The lens took a bit of a drop a couple
      weeks ago and I think it is ok, but am not totally positive so
      switched to the 24mm. I unfortunately, don't own a fisheye though I
      see one in my future when I get home. However, that being said, I am
      trying to create some very high resolution for educational purposes.
      As of right now, we don't know exactly what our final product is going
      to look like but it looks like we will need high resolution files down
      the line. Since I only get one chance to shoot in the forest, I am
      working under the theory of shoot the highest quality and then
      downsize later if we don't need it but I can't come back and reshoot,
      at least not in the wet season.

      So, working with what I've got now. I don't have a tripod with a
      column that can go horizontally unfortunately so I am trying to
      fashion something this morning and run some tests. Any other
      suggestions or help working with the gear I have would be greatly
      appreciated.

      Thanks!

      Best,
      Drew

    • Drew Fulton
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
        Hans,

        This looks like exactly what I am looking for. I'll give it a try
        here in a couple minutes. Thanks!

        Drew

        On Aug 4, 2008, at 9:04 AM, Hans Nyberg wrote:

        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Drew Fulton <drew@...> wrote:
        >
        >> I am trying to shoot a handheld shot afterwards but I am having
        >> several issues. First, I am working in a very dark forest which
        >> makes
        >> handholding difficult. Second, the plants on the ground tend to move
        >> a bit when I remove the tripod so trying to stitch in PtGui doesn't
        >> really work with manually set control points. I have tried to do
        >> remap in PtGui (90 yaw, 90 pitch) and then touch up in Photoshop but
        >> with no success.
        >>
        >> I am really struggling here and would love any suggestions anyone
        >> might have to simplify this process. If I can get the Nadir working
        >> then I am good to go do a whole bunch of shooting in the forest over
        >> the next few weeks.
        >
        > Here is a tutorial I just set up on how to take a perfect nadir.
        > http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/nadir/
        >
        > Unfortunatelly the 360 precision Adjuste is missing an important
        > feature for this, It does
        > not have a locking knob for the rotator.
        >
        > I just tried one a week ago and was surprised that this was not
        > possible.
        > This is in my opinion a large miss as I also find it important for
        > transporting the tripod
        > with the head on.
        > Even if the click stops are very firm the panohead can easy rotate
        > when you lean the
        > tripod.
        >
        > Hans

      • Hans Nyberg
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Drew Fulton <drew@...> wrote:

          > Hans,
          >
          > This looks like exactly what I am looking for. I'll give it a try
          > here in a couple minutes. Thanks!

          Be careful, as I said the Adjuste can easy turn around.

          Hans
        • John Riley
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
            On Aug 4, 2008, at 11:24 AM, Hans Nyberg wrote:

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Drew Fulton <drew@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hans,
            > >
            > > This looks like exactly what I am looking for. I'll give it a try
            > > here in a couple minutes. Thanks!
            >
            > Be careful, as I said the Adjuste can easy turn around.
            >
            > Hans

            Maybe a little duct tape can keep it from rotating? And Hans, what
            do you mean in your tutorial when you say you can use a spigot on the
            monopod? At least in american english, a spigot is the thing water
            comes out of in a sink. Do you mean a clamp of some sort? Very good
            ideas in your tutorial. I will have to try that with my Absolute
            head (and have some duct tape to lock the head too.)

            Drew, I wish I were in Costa Rica so I could come see your work.
            This is only the second time in 10 years I haven't been there for the
            summer 8-( My wife is a Tica and, in fact, her mother just returned
            from CR three days ago. You picked a really wet time of the year to
            be shooting! Which area are you in? Monteverde?

            John

            John Riley
            johnriley@...
            jriley@...

          • Hans Nyberg
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008

              > On Aug 4, 2008, at 11:24 AM, Hans Nyberg wrote:
              >
              > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Drew Fulton <drew@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hans,
              > > >
              > > > This looks like exactly what I am looking for. I'll give it a try
              > > > here in a couple minutes. Thanks!
              > >
              > > Be careful, as I said the Adjuste can easy turn around.
              > >
              > > Hans
              >
              > Maybe a little duct tape can keep it from rotating? And Hans, what
              > do you mean in your tutorial when you say you can use a spigot on the
              > monopod? At least in american english, a spigot is the thing water
              > comes out of in a sink. Do you mean a clamp of some sort? Very good
              > ideas in your tutorial. I will have to try that with my Absolute
              > head (and have some duct tape to lock the head too.)

              Sorry I meant a spike. Thanks for the correction.
              Hans
            • Mark D. Fink
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
                Hans,

                Great tutorial, especially if people don't have the Pro version of PTGui
                that allows viewpoint correction.

                <shameless plug>
                If you do have PTGui Pro, AND you're not already in Costa Rica in the midst
                of a shoot, :o) the Pinnacle VR has an option that makes shooting the nadir
                very easy. I've been using it extensively these last few months, and cringe
                when I look at my old work where I used a clone tool to fake my nadirs. You
                can see the relevant details at position 4:40 in the video I have on my site
                - http://www.pinnacle-vr.com
                </shameless plug>

                However, if you are working with uneven terrain, this approach doesn't work
                nearly as well as yours, Hans. PTGui Pro can handle some variation in
                topography, but not a lot of it.

                Mark
                www.pinnacle-vr.com
                www.nyc.360cities.net
                www.northernlight.net

                >Here is a tutorial I just set up on how to take a perfect nadir.
                >http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/nadir/
                >
                >Unfortunatelly the 360 precision Adjuste is missing an important feature
                >for this, It does
                >not have a locking knob for the rotator.
                >
                >I just tried one a week ago and was surprised that this was not possible.
                >This is in my opinion a large miss as I also find it important for
                >transporting the tripod
                >with the head on.
                >Even if the click stops are very firm the panohead can easy rotate when you
                >lean the
                >tripod.
                >
                >Hans

              • Drew Fulton
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
                  John,

                  I am currently working on a project here in Monteverde. We have been
                  here about 4 weeks and have 3 to go. It is quite a wet time but when
                  you are working with someone researching clouds, its a good time to be
                  here. We will be returning again in February/March so will have a
                  comparison of the dry season as well. Check out our site, http://www.canopyintheclouds.com
                  to see some photos, video and learn a lot more about the project.

                  Its a mighty tough place to work as everything is so dark and wet.
                  Add the fact that I am often working dangling by rope in the top of
                  the tree and things get really tough. Did get about 5 hours in a
                  giant fig with a troop of Howler Monkeys last week. Quite an
                  experience.

                  Once I get this nadir thing sorted, which I am nearly there thanks to
                  Hans, the next step is taking the whole rig into the tree. Hae some
                  ideas on how to make it work but keeping myself out of the pano isn't
                  as easy on the ground. Can't just walk around but have to move all of
                  my ropes as well. Should be quite a challenge and will post here once
                  I get one up, hopefully later this week.

                  I just want to say thanks to all those who have supported this
                  project. Matt at 360Precision provided the heads and Joost provided a
                  copy of PtGui for my use. I couldn't be doing it without there
                  support. Thanks again.

                  Best,
                  Drew

                  On Aug 4, 2008, at 10:55 AM, John Riley wrote:

                  > On Aug 4, 2008, at 11:24 AM, Hans Nyberg wrote:
                  >
                  >> --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Drew Fulton <drew@...> wrote:
                  >>>
                  >>> Hans,
                  >>>
                  >>> This looks like exactly what I am looking for. I'll give it a try
                  >>> here in a couple minutes. Thanks!
                  >>
                  >> Be careful, as I said the Adjuste can easy turn around.
                  >>
                  >> Hans
                  >
                  > Maybe a little duct tape can keep it from rotating? And Hans, what
                  > do you mean in your tutorial when you say you can use a spigot on the
                  > monopod? At least in american english, a spigot is the thing water
                  > comes out of in a sink. Do you mean a clamp of some sort? Very good
                  > ideas in your tutorial. I will have to try that with my Absolute
                  > head (and have some duct tape to lock the head too.)
                  >
                  > Drew, I wish I were in Costa Rica so I could come see your work.
                  > This is only the second time in 10 years I haven't been there for the
                  > summer 8-( My wife is a Tica and, in fact, her mother just returned
                  > from CR three days ago. You picked a really wet time of the year to
                  > be shooting! Which area are you in? Monteverde?
                  >
                  > John
                  >

                  > John Riley
                  > johnriley@...
                  > jriley@...

                • Sacha Griffin
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
                    Fantastic setup. I'd say it'd require an assistant or an extra level of care
                    reserved for certain types of people.

                    I guarantee if I shot like that alone, I'd knock into it one day and topple
                    it over.

                    The good part about yours, is that you reserve the max shooting height
                    mostly.

                    Whereas using the center column, (for tripods with a rotatable/angelable
                    center column) you sacrifice the max height of the system. So you can't
                    shoot your normal shots with the center column fully extended.

                    An example tripod would be the gitzo 2220.

                    However, I am not a tall person, so I rarely shoot at max height anyway.

                    The good part about some fisheyes, is the lack of flare visible. Combined
                    with a rotated image with overlap, you can eliminate any visible flare in
                    the previous image.

                    Drew//

                    I started using a 14mm lens but was getting a whole lot of lens flare
                    that I wasn't real happy with.

                    The nodal ninja5 is lockable in all positions, however, the horizontal arm
                    is just not long enough to flip the vertical assembly using a 5d 10.5 combo.
                    This flip allows the head to face on the other side of the center of the
                    tripod. You may not able point straight down and clear the entire tripod
                    hole, but you maybe able to compensate using viewpoint correction.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
                      On Aug 4, 2008, at 1:18 PM, Drew Fulton wrote:

                      > Once I get this nadir thing sorted, which I am nearly there thanks to
                      > Hans, the next step is taking the whole rig into the tree. Hae some
                      > ideas on how to make it work but keeping myself out of the pano isn't
                      > as easy on the ground. Can't just walk around but have to move all of
                      > my ropes as well. Should be quite a challenge and will post here once
                      > I get one up, hopefully later this week.

                      Now, for that you need Ignacio Ferrando! Have you seen his
                      unbelieveable "how the heck did you do that??" panos made while
                      mountain climbing, ice climbing, outside a helicopter, etc, etc? He
                      would be the go-to guy for something like that!

                      Good luck and enjoy the adventure. Pura Vida!

                      John

                      John Riley
                      johnriley@...
                      jriley@...

                    • Mark D. Fink
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
                        Drew,

                        This sounds like a FANTASTIC trip! Being somewhat literal minded, I got a
                        kick out of your comment that you got "about 5 hours in a giant fig with a
                        troop of Howler Monkeys..." OK, so you meant a fig TREE, but I like my
                        version of it better. (Had no idea figs grew that big - is Nabisco aware of
                        this...)

                        Regarding shooting from the trees, do you mean setting up a tripod on a
                        large branch, or suspended? If you are suspended, could you shoot free-hand
                        while hanging upside down? Then, you'd have a zenith patch to do, but as
                        long as you aren't too close to any of the detail, freehand might work. I'd
                        probably pass out before finishing the sequence, what with all the blood
                        rushing to my head, but it would be interesting to try.

                        Mark
                        www.pinnacle-vr.com
                        www.nyc.360cities.net
                        www.northernlight.net

                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
                          On Monday, August 04, 2008 at 11:18, Drew Fulton wrote:

                          > Once I get this nadir thing sorted, which I am nearly there thanks to
                          > Hans, the next step is taking the whole rig into the tree.

                          Like that: http://pano.erik-krause.de/gardens/index.htm ?

                          best regards
                        • Drew Fulton
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
                            Something like that, except 20-30m/60-100 feet off the ground...

                            Drew

                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
                              On Monday, August 04, 2008 at 11:18, Drew Fulton wrote:

                              > Hae some
                              > ideas on how to make it work but keeping myself out of the pano isn't
                              > as easy on the ground. Can't just walk around but have to move all of
                              > my ropes as well. Should be quite a challenge and will post here once
                              > I get one up, hopefully later this week.

                              Shootin in a tree is very tricky, because there usually is near
                              foreground which causes heavy parallax errors. You could fix a
                              monopod to some branches like I did for the cherries shot. For the
                              nadir shot I fixed it to some other branches. Befor I did that I
                              carefully measured the distance of the NPP from some marked points
                              and tried to put it in the same place after. Perhaps some laser
                              pointers would do an even better job.

                              Another idea would be you hang the camera on a monopod below you. If
                              you add some extra weights you might balance the whole thing such,
                              that the NPP hangs exactly below the end of the monopod, which would
                              allow for simply rotating it around the center of gravity. If you use
                              a fisheye lens and point it slightly down, you probably won't need a
                              nadir shot, but then you'll have the Problems with the zenith shot.

                              You need a cable release of course. I used a quite long one which
                              reached to any positions I'm visible. Camera was set to self timer
                              mode of course, allowing me to drop the cable and do something...

                              In any case it's a good idea to shoot with very large overlap. This
                              increases the chance to find some details you need for retouche.

                              best regards
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008

                                400m: http://pano.erik-krause.de/verdon/index.htm ;-)
                              • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
                                  Quoting Drew Fulton <drew@...>:

                                  > Something like that, except 20-30m/60-100 feet off the ground...

                                  I'm planning making a panorama from inside the basket of a hot air balloon
                                  next week.

                                  I thought to use 2 monopods.
                                  one with the mrotatorCP which is at 30 degree slant and the other with an arm
                                  on the end so the camera is looking back with nothing in the way.

                                  I will stick the pole out of the basket horizontally maybe using a boat
                                  rollock for support and turn the monopod to take 4-6 photos then put the
                                  camera on the other monopod and try to get the camera in the same place to
                                  shoot what will be the nadir.
                                  Everything needs to be clipped to a harness of course.

                                  I guess you could do a similar thing using a branch for support.
                                  and maybe have your ropes on the other side of the trunk of the tree.

                                  regards

                                  mick

                                • John Riley
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
                                    On Aug 4, 2008, at 1:53 PM, Mark D. Fink wrote:

                                    > Drew,
                                    >
                                    > This sounds like a FANTASTIC trip! Being somewhat literal minded, I
                                    > got a
                                    > kick out of your comment that you got "about 5 hours in a giant fig
                                    > with a
                                    > troop of Howler Monkeys..." OK, so you meant a fig TREE, but I like my
                                    > version of it better. (Had no idea figs grew that big - is Nabisco
                                    > aware of
                                    > this...)
                                    >

                                    > Mark
                                    > www.pinnacle-vr.com
                                    > www.nyc.360cities.net
                                    > www.northernlight.net

                                    Mark, these fig trees aren't any thing like you are used to in the
                                    U.S.! They are way cool and HUGE. They start out as an epiphyte
                                    growing on the tree, which drops vines that grow way down to the
                                    ground. Near the ground, they encircle the tree and take root. Then
                                    the vines meld together and eventually totally envelop the tree. It
                                    grows limbs and leaves and becomes a tree itself, killing the host
                                    tree inside. It is wild to see these huge vine-tree things, which
                                    you usually can see through the gaps to the hollow interior.

                                    There is a pretty amazing one in the area where drew is: <http://
                                    www.costaricatravelscout.com/the-strangler-fig-tree.html>. The cloud
                                    forest is so cool and spooky looking. I am jealous of his adventure!

                                    John

                                    John Riley
                                    johnriley@...
                                    jriley@...

                                  • Mark D. Fink
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 6, 2008

                                      > Mark, these fig trees aren't any thing like you are used to in the
                                      > U.S.! They are way cool and HUGE. They start out as an epiphyte
                                      > growing on the tree, which drops vines that grow way down to the
                                      > ground. Near the ground, they encircle the tree and take root. Then
                                      > the vines meld together and eventually totally envelop the tree. It
                                      > grows limbs and leaves and becomes a tree itself, killing the host
                                      > tree inside. It is wild to see these huge vine-tree things, which
                                      > you usually can see through the gaps to the hollow interior.
                                      >
                                      > There is a pretty amazing one in the area where drew is: <http://
                                      > www.costaricatravelscout.com/the-strangler-fig-tree.html>. The cloud
                                      > forest is so cool and spooky looking. I am jealous of his adventure!
                                      >
                                      > John

                                      Simply amazing! I liked the reference to the Lord of the Rings. I can just
                                      imagine a hobbit climbing up inside one of those. Reminiscent of Mirkwood...

                                      Mark
                                      www.pinnacle-vr.com
                                      www.nyc.360cities.net
                                      www.northernlight.net