RE: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Parquet flooring drives me crazy!

  • Sacha Griffin
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 4, 2008
      Floors are generally the closest place to the camera, and are most affected
      by parallax. Ceilings are generally featureless, and stitching errors won't
      be noticeable.

      However, you are semi-right. Moderate parallax, will also throw off good
      lens optimization as the control points on images with parallax are now out
      place from where they should be.

      Obarakana, stated he used his viewfinder only to check npp placement, and
      didn't shoot and view the images on a computer.

      The problem with using a viewfinder only, on determining parallax from an
      test in which an image is close to the camera, and the background is
      notated, is that you can also move your eye in relation to the viewfinder,
      to compensate the apparent parallax error.

      Meaning you can move your eye from true straight on while looking through
      the viewfinder, without realizing it.. and correcting the true parallax of
      the npp placement of the lens and thus considering your npp optimization is
      complete.

      Sacha Griffin

      Southern Digital Solutions LLC

      http://www.southern-digital.com

      http://www.seeit360.net

      404-551-4275

      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 4, 2008
        Another thing to watch for with repeating patterns(eg. parquet flooring), is
        that the auto(or manual) control points "do" point to the correct places. It
        is very easy for the control points to be pointing to slightly different
        places in adjacent images.

        Cheers,
        Darren.

        )
[...]
        )>
        )> Sorry, I had just deleted the unsatisfactory photos so I had nothing
        )> to show...
        )>
        )> I suspect the problem is at least partly due to a lack of precision
        )> establishing the nodal point. The entrance pupil database
        )looks to be
        )> a very useful tool. I had just been lining up the nearest
        )and farthest
        )> objects in the viewfinder and checking that their relative positions
        )> didn't (appear to) move when the camera was rotated. Apparently this
        )> wasn't good enough! I will have to spend more time here to learn...
        )>
        )> ------------------------------------
        )>
        )
        )
        )
        )
        )
        )[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        )
        )
        )------------------------------------
        )
        )--
        )
        )
        )
      • paul womack
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 5, 2008
          PanoToolsNG.10.m8@... wrote:
          > Another thing to watch for with repeating patterns(eg. parquet flooring), is
          > that the auto(or manual) control points "do" point to the correct places. It
          > is very easy for the control points to be pointing to slightly different
          > places in adjacent images.

          I've had issues of this type with bricks/stone blocks on buildings,
          as well as "leaded" windows.

          They do provide wonderful control points - if you're careful.

          BugBear