Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: A challenge to Panographers around the world

  • Bjørn K Nilssen
    Message 1 of 85 , Sep 7, 2006
      On 7 Sep 2006 at 16:35, Larry Helms wrote:

      > I'm not sure if it's still there (I haven't been there in YEARS)... but DISNEYLAND HAS/HAD
      > something like this... except it's done with MOTION pictures.
      >
      > For those who suffer from motion sickness... it can be quite overwhelming. I do not
      > suffer from such... but it even made me a little dizzy.
      >
      > It's digitally filmed with the 'lens' portions of the camera mounted on top of what looks
      > like a stick with the lenses pointed outwards in 16 directions. They handed out a flyer
      > after the show. I believe it was Kodak technology... or maybe the 'show' was just
      > sponsored by Kodak. This (http://www.investcom.com/feature/imc.php) is close to what the
      > filing head looked like.
      >
      > It's then projected... in the round... so to speak, I think with 16 projectors, onto
      > opposing walls. The audience stands on the floor, in the middle, underneath the screens.
      > It only presents a circular panoramic, rather than a full spherical. But it is/was a
      > pretty cool thing to behold.

      They have something similar at the North Cape Tourist Trap (or Visitor Center, as they
      call it). It's called Supervideograph, and shows a 225 degrees wide film (only the same
      film all the time though). I haven't seen the Disney version, but I believe having the
      pano all around you, including floor and ceiling, would make it an even more immersive
      experience?
      Besides - it's something that is possible to make without robbing a bank first ;)

      --
      bk@... // Bjørn Kåre Nilssen http://bknilssen.no/
      Kristiansand, Norway
      Message 85 of 85 , Sep 13, 2006
        On Wed 13-Sep-2006 at 11:05 +0200, Bjørn K Nilssen wrote:

        > I will hopefully be able to have a prototype made soon too. The roof will probably not be
        > flat, but pyramid-like, and there will be an internal structure inside, including a zig-
        > zag structure to hold the roof. I don't know yet if there will be a printed ceiling. Do
        > you think it would be enough to just "perspective correct" the 4 wedge shapes from a
        > single zenith square?

        Yes, just split the square zenith image into four triangles and
        stretch them to match the shape of the triangle of your pyramid
        sides. This isn't exactly correct, but it will be near enough as
        so long as your pyramid is shallow.

        --
        Bruno