Re: [PanoToolsNG] Jael and Noa in the High Sierra

  • Howard Larson
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 3 5:11 PM
      It looks like a fabricated photo.  Nothing one should aspire to.

      --
      Howard Larson
      mailto:hblarson43@...

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 4 12:31 AM
        Howard Larson wrote:

        > It looks like a fabricated photo.

        Fabricated, yes. But what's wrong with fabricated images? there is a lot
        of artistic potential there. See:
        http://tinyurl.com/6zns87

      • Paul Fretheim
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 4 7:16 AM
          Of course it's "fabricated." No one exists as a large and smaller
          version simultaneously!

          The photo itself, however, is quite real. We were there last week. I
          was just messing around with the color of the part of the image with
          Jael in it and accidentally dropped in a smaller version of that part of
          the photo and it reminded me of the feel of the cover of an old Doors
          album (American rock band from the 60s). I just wondered if anybody
          else would find that look interesting. Apparently not . . .

          I don't think Jael liked it either. She hasn't said anything anyway. ;-)

          > Re: Jael and Noa in the High Sierra
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/21884;_ylc=X3oDMTJzYTRydm5zBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE4MjI3ODQ4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNjQ5NgRtc2dJZAMyMTg4NARzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMjE3ODQ3NTY1>
          >

          > Posted by: "Howard Larson" hblarson43@...
          > <mailto:hblarson43@...?Subject=%20Re%3A%20Jael%20and%20Noa%20in%20the%20High%20Sierra>
          > hblarson43 <http://profiles.yahoo.com/hblarson43>
          >

          > Sun Aug 3, 2008 5:11 pm (PDT)
          >
          > It looks like a fabricated photo. Nothing one should aspire to.

          Posted by: "Uri Cogan"

          > The clone of the woman (Yael?) appears too similar; it's pasting into
          > the background is too obvious, and the scale of the pasted image
          > relative to the image of the girl does not look "right" to me. I would
          > have tried to flip it horizontally and position it on the other side of
          > the girl, but the lighting of that subject would still be problematic,
          > so it would have been best to use another image of the same person. This
          > can easily be done while shooting the panorama - just re-position the
          > subject that you want duplicated at the next shot in the series.
          Sorry but that is the way my friend spells her name. She is from
          Berlin, Germany.

          I have several other shots from that moment that I could have used. As
          I wrote above, that composition happened by accident when I was trying
          to do something else, and I just wanted to see what others thought of it.

          I like that pano with the multiple images of the little boy in the blue
          t-shirt. To his parents by 4 in the afternoon it probably feels like
          there are six of him running around!

          Thanks for the feedback!

          Paul Fretheim
        • Howard Larson
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 4 8:31 AM
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Uri Cogan <uri@...> wrote:

            > Howard Larson wrote:
            >

            > > It looks like a fabricated photo.
            > >
            > Fabricated, yes. But what's wrong with fabricated images? there is a
            lot of artistic potential there. See:
            > http://tinyurl.com/6zns87

            Wrong? Not *wrong*. It is a matter of opinion, asked for and given
            if, perhaps, a little tersely.

            I prefer straight photography with a minimum of manipulation. Found
            objects as opposed to arrangements. Technically good (I am no fan of
            the Krappy Kamera contest or prints of Polaroids with the adhesive
            marks showing).
          • paul womack
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 4 9:01 AM
              Howard Larson wrote:
              > I prefer straight photography with a minimum of manipulation.

              Are you in the right forum ;-)

              BugBear
            • Howard Larson
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 4 12:47 PM
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, paul womack <pwomack@...> wrote:

                > Howard Larson wrote:
                > > I prefer straight photography with a minimum of manipulation.
                >
                > Are you in the right forum ;-)
                >
                > BugBear

                Abosolutely! :-)

                I don't consider using panotools a deviation from straight
                photography. In fact, I use panotools not for panoramas but to get
                large-format images from a small-format camera.
              • Uri Cogan
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 4 2:03 PM
                  Howard Larson wrote:

                  > I don't consider using panotools a deviation from straight
                  > photography. In fact, I use panotools not for panoramas but to get
                  > large-format images from a small-format camera.

                  This business of "straight" vs. "fabricated" images is not too clear to me.

                  The only kind of photography that in my opinion, ought not to be
                  manipulated at all, appears to be journalistic, and (hopefully, hah...)
                  commercial advertising.

                  Everything else, it seems to me, is fair game and is more a matter of
                  taste than of integrity.

                  The above may be too simple... my own experience in photojournalism
                  tells me that the mere choice of lens, exposure, composition, and
                  processing "manipulates" the final image to some degree, so in a certain
                  sense, all photos are "fabricated".

                  Cheers, Uri.

                • Chris Thomas
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 4 4:40 PM
                    That's certainly not what we're talking about here..

                    This medium is not going to be confined by the "traditional" photography
                    "boomers" like myself grew up with!

                    There's a place for everyone..

                    Hopefully artistic endevours will continue to push into new directions, as
                    materials and tools permit.

                    Chris Thomas

                    Photographer

                    cell... 604-649-5352

                    In North America

                    call... 1-800-870-5110

                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 4 7:04 PM
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Uri Cogan <uri@...> wrote:

                      > Howard Larson wrote:
                      >

                      > > I don't consider using panotools a deviation from straight
                      > > photography. In fact, I use panotools not for panoramas but to get
                      > > large-format images from a small-format camera.
                      > >

                      > This business of "straight" vs. "fabricated" images is not too
                      clear to me.

                      > The only kind of photography that in my opinion, ought not to be
                      > manipulated at all, appears to be journalistic, and (hopefully,
                      hah...) commercial advertising.

                      > Everything else, it seems to me, is fair game and is more a matter
                      of taste than of integrity.

                      > The above may be too simple... my own experience in photojournalism
                      > tells me that the mere choice of lens, exposure, composition, and
                      > processing "manipulates" the final image to some degree, so in a
                      certain sense, all photos are "fabricated".

                      > Cheers, Uri.

                      In my mind, *straight* photography documents an object as it is.
                      *Fabricated* images are arrangements created by the photographer, not
                      objects *as found*.

                      And, yes, your definition of photojournalism is a form of
                      manipulation--the photographer's interpretation of the object if you
                      will--but still encompassed within the idea of straight photography
                      as anyone could encounter the same object as it naturally exists.

                      You are correct in that is a matter of taste. And, given an option,
                      there are people that will line up on one side or the other.
                    • Howard Larson
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 4 7:07 PM
                        And, I would hope, there is room for the voice of the traditionalist
                        like myself who is using these tools in a *traditionalist* manner.

                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Thomas" <chris@...> wrote:

                        > That's certainly not what we're talking about here..
                        >
                        > This medium is not going to be confined by the "traditional"
                        photography "boomers" like myself grew up with!

                        > There's a place for everyone..
                        >
                        > Hopefully artistic endevours will continue to push into new
                        directions, as
                        > materials and tools permit.
                        >

                        > Chris Thomas
                        >
                        > Photographer
                        >
                        > cell... 604-649-5352
                        >
                        > In North America
                        >
                        > call... 1-800-870-5110
                        >
                        > <http://www.christhomas.com/> http://www.christhomas.com

                      • Uri Cogan
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 4 7:45 PM
                          Howard Larson wrote:

                          > And, I would hope, there is room for the voice of the traditionalist
                          > like myself who is using these tools in a *traditionalist* manner.

                          Absolutely yes; the freedom to adhere to whatever "traditionalist"
                          values or techniques is all yours, and yet the very notion of
                          photographing anything "as it is" eludes me.

                          Again, as a journalist I've discovered that my very presence at certain
                          events had modified the event, and my choice of what appeared to me as
                          worthy of a photo was likely to be influenced by my own biases; on top
                          of that, I could easily make a person appear "sinister" or "benevolent"
                          by mere choice of lighting and careful timing. So much for "objectivity".

                          To sum up - I no longer know what anything "is" though I certainly do
                          know how it *appears to me*.

                          Uri
                          http://www.uricogan.com

                        • paul womack
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 5 4:03 AM
                            Howard Larson wrote:
                            > In my mind, *straight* photography documents an object as it is.
                            > *Fabricated* images are arrangements created by the photographer, not
                            > objects *as found*.
                            >
                            > And, yes, your definition of photojournalism is a form of
                            > manipulation--the photographer's interpretation of the object if you
                            > will--but still encompassed within the idea of straight photography
                            > as anyone could encounter the same object as it naturally exists.

                            You underestimate the power of the photographer.

                            By choosing viewpoints, cropping (or lens length)
                            time of day, weather conditions, the thoughtful
                            photographer can go a rather long way towards
                            "creating" the photograph.

                            Given enough variation, an act of selection
                            becomes an act of creation.

                            e.g. the famous million monkeys with typewriters.

                            BugBear