Re: [PanoToolsNG] from Ogle Earth: Street View and privacy - what's up with the Europeans?

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2008
      On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 22:46:12 +0900, Jeffrey Martin <360cities@...>
      wrote:

      > Street View and privacy - what's up with the
      > Europeans?<http://feeds.ogleearth.com/%7Er/ogleearth/%7E3/351765953/street_view_and.html>
      > http://feeds.ogleearth.com/~r/ogleearth/~3/351765953/street_view_and.html

      Jeffrey, I can't speak for the rest of Europe, but I do know that camera
      surveillance is very common throughout the UK... I saw notices to this
      effect everywhere I went on a recent holiday there. So the man in the
      street is predisposed to think of cameras in connection with surveillance
      and the use of such information by the police to inhibit crime. And while
      they might be disposed to accept this in view of the threat of terrorist
      attacks, they do not like the idea that anyone can access such images
      whenever and wherever they want.

      I agree this is a gross misunderstanding and over-reaction, but it may
      help you to realize where the tabloids are coming from and what a chord
      they strike with the general public.

      Roger W.

      --
      Work: www.adex-japan.com
      Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4, 2008
        Roger D. Williams wrote:

        > .... And while they might be disposed to accept this in view of the threat
        > of terrorist
        > attacks, they do not like the idea that anyone can access such images
        > whenever and wherever they want.
        >
        > I agree this is a gross misunderstanding and over-reaction, but it may
        > help you to realize where the tabloids are coming from and what a chord
        > they strike with the general public.
        >
        > Roger W.

        I would feel safer if allowed to view what the government is looking at.
        There should also be surveillance of the surveillers of course, so that we
        can see those professional government voyeurs in action. What astonishes me
        is how no one in Britain seems to be concerned about the heavy handed
        government invasion of privacy. If the citizens' life should be an open
        book, so should the government's and politicians' shenanigans.

        Carel Struycken

      • John Riley
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 4, 2008
          On Aug 5, 2008, at 12:02 AM, Carel wrote:

          > Roger D. Williams wrote:
          > >
          > > .... And while they might be disposed to accept this in view of
          > the threat
          > > of terrorist
          > > attacks, they do not like the idea that anyone can access such
          > images
          > > whenever and wherever they want.
          > >
          > > I agree this is a gross misunderstanding and over-reaction, but
          > it may
          > > help you to realize where the tabloids are coming from and what a
          > chord
          > > they strike with the general public.
          > >
          > > Roger W.
          > >

          > I would feel safer if allowed to view what the government is
          > looking at.
          > There should also be surveillance of the surveillers of course, so
          > that we
          > can see those professional government voyeurs in action. What
          > astonishes me
          > is how no one in Britain seems to be concerned about the heavy handed
          > government invasion of privacy. If the citizens' life should be an
          > open
          > book, so should the government's and politicians' shenanigans.
          >
          > Carel Struycken

          I was surprised when I found out that the cameras that are set up
          along the interstate highways in SC are viewable over the web. But,
          they get boring very quickly. They seem to only allow snaps from the
          cameras now, but in the past, I am pretty sure you could watch video.

          John

          John Riley
          johnriley@...
          jriley@...

        • Roger D. Williams
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 4, 2008
            On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 13:02:41 +0900, Carel <cs@...> wrote:

            > Roger D. Williams wrote:
            >>
            >> .... And while they might be disposed to accept this in view of the
            >> threat of terrorist
            >> attacks, they do not like the idea that anyone can access such images
            >> whenever and wherever they want.
            >>
            >> I agree this is a gross misunderstanding and over-reaction, but it may
            >> help you to realize where the tabloids are coming from and what a chord
            >> they strike with the general public.
            >>
            >> Roger W.
            >
            > I would feel safer if allowed to view what the government is looking at.
            > There should also be surveillance of the surveillers of course, so that
            > we can see those professional government voyeurs in action. What
            > astonishes me
            > is how no one in Britain seems to be concerned about the heavy handed
            > government invasion of privacy. If the citizens' life should be an open
            > book, so should the government's and politicians' shenanigans.

            Yes. The acceptance of this gross invasion of privacy seems almost
            universal. This struck me as very strange. Of course, living in Japan,
            a country mercifully free (so far) from terrorist attacks, I must admit
            that attitudes are probably affected by decades of IRA bombing and the
            more recent Al Quaeda inspired attacks within the U.K. Who am I to judge
            that! I have two daughters, one son-in-law and a grandson living in
            London...

            Roger W.

            --
            Work: www.adex-japan.com
            Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
          • Marcel Geers
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 6, 2008
              First of all, since when do you take tabloids so seriously? They'll
              claim a celeb is mortally ill when someone wears no make-up! ;)

              Personally, I try to minimise burgular-sensitive information in
              pictures I share with others. For obvious reasons. I also try to
              minimise people in my shots (which isn't possible for everyone), just
              because some people seem to care about whether they are visible
              without make-up or not.......in that respect, I'd dislike being
              visible, staticly, on streetview. Furthermore, if your neighbour's
              house has shutters and yours don't, then your house has a higher risk
              of being broken into. It is your own choice whether that is a
              situation you want to continue. Making this information available to
              potential burglars from the other side of town or another nearby city,
              is just asking for trouble IMHO. The difference with CCTV cameras is,
              that the video recorded by those cannot be viewed by potential burglars.

              About cameras on highways: over here in the Netherlands, speed is
              checked in some areas by logging a license plate and determining the
              time it takes to reach the next checkpoint. This gives a very good
              calculation of the average speed over a longer period and it has a
              high "catch rate". While the system as is is hated because of the
              possible fines people may receive at home, there's hardly any to no
              complaints about the logging practise as it is not allowed to be used
              for any big brother like practises (no long term logging). We trust in
              the system that it is used in the manner it is designed to and that
              government does not abuse it for checking up on employees or other
              such things.

              You could be paranoid about it or you could just have faith in the system.

              If I have my history right, which I may not, the gathering of Jews
              (that is, determining on paper who is one) in the Netherlands during
              WW2 was relatively easy for the Germans due to the elaborate
              documentation every municipality kept\keeps about its citizens.
              Nowadays, the amount of information available to the different
              government institutions for reasons of ease of use, fraud prevention
              and servicability is even much higher. This is no problem in a normal
              society. Should we limit ourselves just in case in some future some
              evil regime will come to power?