RE: Re: [PanoToolsNG] New motorized pano head

  • Colin West
    Message 1 of 30 , Jul 31, 2008
      I'll need to try mirror up. I usually don't do exposures longer than the
      camera/lens shake limit. I do recall though that there's an issue with
      mirror up and live view, and DSLR PRO relies on live view. It'll take a few
      days to get to it.

      Do you use an alternative to DSLR PRO, and which one?

      _____

      Message 2 of 30 , Jul 31, 2008
        Below is an example script written by Chris Breeze. I'd suggest installing a
        demo of DSLR Remote PRO and AutoHotKey and trying it.
        ;-----------------------------------------------------------------------
        ; AutoHotKey script to run DSLR Remote Pro, select live view and take
        ; a series of photos with different focus settings so that these can
        ; be combined using CombineZM to give extended depth of field.
        ; Please note: this script will only work with Canon EOS cameras that
        ; support live view e.g. Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS-1D Mark III
        ;
        ; Usage: focus the lens on the nearest object to be in focus and then
        ; run this script. The number of photos in the sequence is defined by
        ; the variable NumberOfImagesInSequence below and can be overridden in
        ; the command line e.g. focus_stacking.ahk 30
        ; After taking the pictures run CombineZM to combine them into a single
        ; image with extended DoF.
        ;
        ; DSLR Remote Pro can be downloaded from
        ; http://www.breezesys.com
        ;
        ; AutoHotKey is free and can be downloaded from:
        ; http://www.autohotkey.com
        ;
        ; CombineZM is free and can be downloaded from:
        ; http://www.hadleyweb.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/CZM/combinezm.htm
        ;
        ; This script comes with no warranty or support whatsoever and may
        ; be freely copied or modified as required.
        ;
        ; Written by Chris Breeze, www.breezesys.com
        ;-----------------------------------------------------------------------

        MediumFocusSteps = 1 ; set this to 0 to focus in small steps or 1 for focus
        in larger steps
        NumberOfImagesInSequence = 30

        if %0% > 0 and %1% > 1
        {
        NumberOfImagesInSequence = %1%
        }

        ; First check DSLR Remote Pro is running and a camera is connected
        IfWinExist, DSLR Remote Pro
        {
        IfWinExist, DSLR Remote Pro - Connected to
        {
        WinActivate, DSLR Remote Pro
        }
        else
        {
        MsgBox, 48, Stacking AutoHotkey Script, DSLR Remote Pro is not connected
        to a camera
        ExitApp
        }
        }
        else
        {
        MsgBox, 48, Stacking AutoHotkey Script, DSLR Remote Pro is not running
        ExitApp
        }

        ; Turn on live view (this will fail if the camera doesn't support live view)
        Sleep 1000
        IfWinNotExist, Live View:
        {
        Send ^l
        Sleep 2000
        }
        IfWinNotExist, Live View:
        {
        MsgBox, 48, Stacking AutoHotkey Script, Unable to select live view
        ExitApp
        }

        ; make sure live view window has input focus
        WinActivate, Live View:
        Sleep 250

        ; Take a series of pictures and adjust the focus after each shot
        Loop, %NumberOfImagesInSequence%
        {
        SendInput {F8}
        Sleep 3000 ; give DSLR Remote Pro time to take the picture and download
        if MediumFocusSteps > 0
        {
        ; focus farther away in medium steps
        SendInput ^{Right}
        }
        else
        {
        ; focus farther away in small steps
        SendInput {Right}
        }
        }

        _____

        Message 3 of 30 , Jul 31, 2008
          Colin,

          Thanks for the details. The last time I checked on controlling focus via
          software was before LiveView. I'm glad to hear that focus control is no
          longer the impossible thing it used to be. Yet another reason to upgrade my
          cameras. Again... :o)

          Mark
          www.nyc.360cities.net
          www.pinnacle-vr.com