Beware - Rogers is evil for US iPhones in Canada

  • Jook Leung
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 30 2:38 PM
      I got a call from ATT about my international data usage on my iphone
      in Canada recently. I was visiting Vancouver for 3 days. The person
      said I ran up over $800 dollars in data transfer!!!!

      She offered to put me on the ATT Int'l data plan $60/mo to cover most
      of it but that my data usage was still about $25 over the plan limit.
      What a royal rip-off from Rogers. Turns out viewing a NYT news page
      without a data plan will cost you $25 at Roger's $.05 per KILOBYTE.

      I was trying to show some PangeaVR's on my iPhone and one might
      average 600K. That's $30 to view!!!

      more:
      http://krisabel.ctv.ca/blog/_archives/2008/7/3/3774742.html

      Jook Leung Photography
      360VR Images - 360 degree Panoramic photography
      Web: http://360vr.com
    • Dave 360texas.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 30 5:29 PM
        Thanks Jook, just today I was asking our client if she could see her
        web site pano's on her Apple iPhone. She said she could see her
        site.. but not the QTVR panoramas.

        Now I will suggest that she not use her Apple iPhone to show her
        clients panoramas. A very high price indeed for data transfers. A
        thin top PC WIFI would be better. Bigger screen anyway.

        Thanks again for the heads up notice.

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jook Leung <jook360@...> wrote:

        > I got a call from ATT about my international data usage on my
        iphone
        > in Canada recently. I was visiting Vancouver for 3 days. The
        person
        > said I ran up over $800 dollars in data transfer!!!!
        >
        > She offered to put me on the ATT Int'l data plan $60/mo to cover
        most
        > of it but that my data usage was still about $25 over the plan
        limit.
        > What a royal rip-off from Rogers. Turns out viewing a NYT news
        page
        > without a data plan will cost you $25 at Roger's $.05 per KILOBYTE.
        >
        > I was trying to show some PangeaVR's on my iPhone and one might
        > average 600K. That's $30 to view!!!
        >
        > more:
        > http://krisabel.ctv.ca/blog/_archives/2008/7/3/3774742.html
        >

        > Jook Leung Photography
        > 360VR Images - 360 degree Panoramic photography
        > Web: http://360vr.com

      • Jann Lipka
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 30 10:20 PM
          data transfer fees are a ridiculous rip-off for European countries as well,
          and not only iphone related .

          The papers here are full of articles about people getting charged with 1000
          of euros for simple habit of surfing web on their cellphones .

          It is a real global conspiracy of corporate evil .....

          We from US yesterady and on my sons 3G phone ( almost every button you touch
          gets you connected to the net ... ) datatransfer fee was around 18 $ / MB in
          New York ( T Mobile I think )

          ( ridiculous difference compared to my 3G modem with fixed price 45 $ /mo
          free data transfer - but only within Sweden )
          My guess would be that going from US and coming to a country like France/UK
          /Swiss would give some really fancy charge on MB transfer ..

          But even WiFI could cost you on US location ,

          I find it ridiculous that Hilton and Sheraton in US / Canada charge 20 $ a
          day for WiFi usage .
          For a 10 days visit in US that makes 200$ ..

          We stayed close to Apple store in Soho and it was so funny to see young
          people sitting outside the shop ( = free hotspot ) during night hours and
          having those Skype conversations in exotic languages ..:-)

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 30 11:40 PM
            Some tips from a " world traveller.."

            -roaming is always a rip off

            -data roaming is prohibitive

            therefore:

            If I go to a country for more then 3 days and I know I have to make
            domestic calls in that country from my cell , or getting calls from
            abroad, then my first step is to go to any cellphone shop and get
            the cheapest prepaid option. In many countries you can get them for
            about 10-20$ with an almost equal starting value in talking time.
            Then I have to transmit my new cellphone # to my partners abroad.
            RECEIVING only a few calls from abroad on my roaming phone costs ME
            more than the prepaid card. Another option could be to have a second
            cheap cellphone with your home SIM card only to see who is
            calling... but never attending the call, then you can call back from
            your prepaid card equipped phone on very reasonable domestic
            rates. ... and don't forget to deactivate you voice mail box when
            abroad otherwise every attempt will be charged to you.....

            For Data and iPhone roaming this is not so easy. Therefore use WIFI
            wherever you can, Choose only hotels which offers free internet in
            your room.

            Willy Kaemena

            http://bremen.360cities.net/
            http://syria.360cities.net/
            http://lisbon.360cities.net/

            On Jul 31, 2008, at 7:20, Jann Lipka wrote:

            > data transfer fees are a ridiculous rip-off for European countries
            > as well,
            > and not only iphone related .
            >
            > The papers here are full of articles about people getting charged
            > with 1000
            > of euros for simple habit of surfing web on their cellphones .
            >
            > It is a real global conspiracy of corporate evil .....
            >
            > We from US yesterady and on my sons 3G phone ( almost every button
            > you touch
            > gets you connected to the net ... ) datatransfer fee was around 18
            > $ / MB in
            > New York ( T Mobile I think )
            >
            > ( ridiculous difference compared to my 3G modem with fixed price 45
            > $ /mo
            > free data transfer - but only within Sweden )
            > My guess would be that going from US and coming to a country like
            > France/UK
            > /Swiss would give some really fancy charge on MB transfer ..
            >
            > But even WiFI could cost you on US location ,
            >
            > I find it ridiculous that Hilton and Sheraton in US / Canada charge
            > 20 $ a
            > day for WiFi usage .
            > For a 10 days visit in US that makes 200$ ..
            >
            > We stayed close to Apple store in Soho and it was so funny to see
            > young
            > people sitting outside the shop ( = free hotspot ) during night
            > hours and
            > having those Skype conversations in exotic languages ..:-)

          • Uri Cogan
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 31 12:12 AM
              Jann Lipka wrote:

              > But even WiFI could cost you on US location ,
              >
              > I find it ridiculous that Hilton and Sheraton in US / Canada charge 20 $ a
              > day for WiFi usage .
              > For a 10 days visit in US that makes 200$ ..

              Last year I traveled in Western US (Washington, Oregon, California) and
              found free WiFi almost everywhere. Some towns had free public-access
              systems. Many inexpensive motels advertise free internet access and many
              cafés offer free WiFi as well.

              Cell phone service providers are another story. Here in Canada there
              appears to be some public outrage over the billing practices of these
              companies, with some signs of "consumer rebellion", maybe.

              Uri

            • panokaemena@mac.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 31 12:59 AM
                Hi Dave,

                well we know the fact that the iphone cannot display QTVR or
                Flashpanoramas,

                therefor Brian Greenstone has developed PangeaVR with a huge
                success on the iphone

                390000 times the software was started to see panoramas in the first 2
                weeks. Assuming that the average user will look 2-3 panoramas at
                least, means > 1.000.000 panoramas viewed on the iPhone/ipod touch.

                In the long list ( portfolio) of pangeaVR my panoramas can be found
                on the last position... (W) but even so my average # of panoramas
                viewed is about 700/ day. Would like to know the numbers of hits of
                photographers with a better list position.

                The number of videos showing pangeaVR in action on youtube is rising:

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRncOVaJBiw

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiU9AA-3vZQ

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqOlQZxKYvE

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5nuGlnyX6A

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da0Xsb35sOE

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47H_nlA4pO4

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa5xmRIj9P4

                Willy Kaemena

                http://bremen.360cities.net/
                http://syria.360cities.net/
                http://lisbon.360cities.net/

                On Jul 31, 2008, at 2:29, Dave 360texas.com wrote:

                > Thanks Jook, just today I was asking our client if she could see her
                > web site pano's on her Apple iPhone. She said she could see her
                > site.. but not the QTVR panoramas.
                >
                > Now I will suggest that she not use her Apple iPhone to show her
                > clients panoramas. A very high price indeed for data transfers. A
                > thin top PC WIFI would be better. Bigger screen anyway.
                >
                > Thanks again for the heads up notice.
                >
                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jook Leung <jook360@...> wrote:
                > >

                > > I got a call from ATT about my international data usage on my
                > iphone
                > > in Canada recently. I was visiting Vancouver for 3 days. The
                > person
                > > said I ran up over $800 dollars in data transfer!!!!
                > >
                > > She offered to put me on the ATT Int'l data plan $60/mo to cover
                > most
                > > of it but that my data usage was still about $25 over the plan
                > limit.
                > > What a royal rip-off from Rogers. Turns out viewing a NYT news
                > page
                > > without a data plan will cost you $25 at Roger's $.05 per KILOBYTE.
                > >
                > > I was trying to show some PangeaVR's on my iPhone and one might
                > > average 600K. That's $30 to view!!!
                > >
                > > more:
                > > http://krisabel.ctv.ca/blog/_archives/2008/7/3/3774742.html
                > >

                > > Jook Leung Photography
                > > 360VR Images - 360 degree Panoramic photography
                > > Web: http://360vr.com

                Willy Kaemena

                http://bremen.360cities.net/
                http://syria.360cities.net/
                http://lisbon.360cities.net/

              • Lars O. Grobe
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 31 1:27 AM
                  > well we know the fact that the iphone cannot display QTVR or
                  > Flashpanoramas,

                  I wonder how much effort would be needed to port a free qtvr-viewer to
                  the iphone. I would personally not be too much interested (would be just
                  one more propietary format support), but it should not be impossible. In
                  the meanwhile, we are happy to have alternatives, PangeaVR being one.
                  And I think we are quite happy about hearing announcements of new
                  releases or extended functionality, and also being informed about
                  licensing changes e.g. from free to paid.

                  Still, I think we should not use this list for continous posting of
                  access statistics, "success stories" or other business-information for
                  any product here. In the past weeks, a lot of this list became
                  buzz-talk, and as there is already quite a lot of traffic, we should
                  agree on an acceptable level of such posts.

                  CU Lars.
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 31 5:58 AM
                    Lars O. Grobe wrote:

                    > Still, I think we should not use this list for continous posting of
                    > access statistics, "success stories" or other business-information for
                    > any product here. In the past weeks, a lot of this list became
                    > buzz-talk, and as there is already quite a lot of traffic, we should
                    > agree on an acceptable level of such posts.

                    I'm sorry to disagree - both as a member and as a list moderator. The
                    PangeaVR threads are perfectly on topic. The User Guidelines at
                    http://wiki.panotools.org/User_Guidelines state: "PanotoolsNG was set up to
                    provide a home for open discussion of the creation and display of panoramas,
                    panoramic images and associated technologies." PangeaVR is clearly a
                    technology associated to display of panoramas.

                    That there is a lot of traffic on one subject is not the reason for low
                    traffic on other subjects. If you are not interested in a topic, I suggest
                    you use a threading mail or news reader, where you can set a thread to
                    "ignore" or simply downscore threads with certain keywords. An example how
                    to use thunderbird together with the PanotoolsNG usenet newsfeed for that
                    pupose can be found on http://wiki.panotools.org/PanoTools:Newsreader

                    Moreover discussions on what is on or off topic are off topic here.
                    Panotools-List was set up especially for that purpose. Please refer to the
                    User Guidelines for details.

                    best regards

                    -----