PangeaVR 1.1 now available

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 16, 2008
      The new version of PangeaVR is finally available, yay! You can download it from iTunes or the
      App Store, but it looks like Apple's servers are still all synchronizing, so it may not show up
      on all of the servers yet. If it still says 1.0 for you then just wait a few hours and 1.1 should
      appear.

      1.1 is a huge improvement over 1.0 since it supports thumbnails, GPS integration with the
      Maps app, and camera settings. I have a huge backlog of portfolios I need to enter into the
      database now because 1.0 only supported 50, and that filled up many days ago. 1.1 won't
      have that problem.

      Anyway, enjoy!

      -Brian
    • aiwetir
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 16, 2008
        brian,

        any plans on the portfolio interface ? it's going to be a bit
        difficult to scroll when it reaches 500

        mmm
        http://pdxvr.com

        On 16 Jul 2008, at 20:35, Brian wrote:

        > The new version of PangeaVR is finally available, yay! You can
        > download it from iTunes or the
        > App Store, but it looks like Apple's servers are still all
        > synchronizing, so it may not show up
        > on all of the servers yet. If it still says 1.0 for you then just
        > wait a few hours and 1.1 should
        > appear.
        >
        > 1.1 is a huge improvement over 1.0 since it supports thumbnails, GPS
        > integration with the
        > Maps app, and camera settings. I have a huge backlog of portfolios
        > I need to enter into the
        > database now because 1.0 only supported 50, and that filled up many
        > days ago. 1.1 won't
        > have that problem.
        >
        > Anyway, enjoy!
        >
        > -Brian

      • Brian
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 16, 2008
          Yes, I plan on adding a 2nd column to the scroll wheel which will let you select the
          starting letter A..Z so you can easily skip into the list.

          Right now I have around 70 portfolios in there, and it's still manageable, but I think when
          it hits 100 it's going to get ugly.

          -B

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, aiwetir <aiwetir@...> wrote:

          > brian,
          >
          > any plans on the portfolio interface ? it's going to be a bit
          > difficult to scroll when it reaches 500
          >
          > mmm
          > http://pdxvr.com

        • John Riley
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 16, 2008
            Hi Brian,

            If you answered this already, I missed it. Will there possibly ever
            be any way for a link on your web page in Safari/iPhone to open a
            pano in PangeaVR? That way they could get there without actually
            having looked through the list, just by seeing a link from your
            website (or a blog or whatever) and being interested.

            John

            John Riley
            johnriley@...
            jriley@...

            On Jul 17, 2008, at 12:30 AM, Brian wrote:

            > Yes, I plan on adding a 2nd column to the scroll wheel which will
            > let you select the
            > starting letter A..Z so you can easily skip into the list.
            >
            > Right now I have around 70 portfolios in there, and it's still
            > manageable, but I think when
            > it hits 100 it's going to get ugly.
            >
            > -B
            >
            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, aiwetir <aiwetir@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > brian,
            > >
            > > any plans on the portfolio interface ? it's going to be a bit
            > > difficult to scroll when it reaches 500
            > >
            > > mmm
            > > http://pdxvr.com

          • John Riley
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 16, 2008
              A quick clarification to my posting: I mean a link on MY webpage or a
              webpage (not Pangea).

              John

              John Riley
              johnriley@...
              jriley@...

              On Jul 17, 2008, at 1:37 AM, John Riley wrote:

              > Hi Brian,
              >
              > If you answered this already, I missed it. Will there possibly ever
              > be any way for a link on your web page in Safari/iPhone to open a
              > pano in PangeaVR? That way they could get there without actually
              > having looked through the list, just by seeing a link from your
              > website (or a blog or whatever) and being interested.
              >
              > John
              >
              > John Riley
              > johnriley@...
              > jriley@...
              >
              > On Jul 17, 2008, at 12:30 AM, Brian wrote:
              >
              > > Yes, I plan on adding a 2nd column to the scroll wheel which will
              > > let you select the
              > > starting letter A..Z so you can easily skip into the list.
              > >
              > > Right now I have around 70 portfolios in there, and it's still
              > > manageable, but I think when
              > > it hits 100 it's going to get ugly.
              > >
              > > -B
              > >
              > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, aiwetir <aiwetir@...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > brian,
              > > >
              > > > any plans on the portfolio interface ? it's going to be a bit
              > > > difficult to scroll when it reaches 500
              > > >
              > > > mmm
              > > > http://pdxvr.com

            • Robert Bilsland
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 16, 2008
                Brian,

                How about this for an idea, to arrange the galleries into some sort of
                geographical blocks (continent or country) and then alphabetical
                inside that. This would allow people to view panoramas that are in the
                same region as them. Maybe above that on the front screen a randomly
                selected gallery could be presented too. Finally an option to view a
                list of all galleries in alphabetical order arranged by either
                photographer or gallery name (or the ability to choose which list to
                display). This would allow people who have been told about someone's
                gallery to easily find it.

                I guess that most people who are downloading the application start off
                by looking at panoramas from the top of the list. But with a list of
                up to 500 galleries how far would they get? Also this fact might skew
                the number of galleries starting with a number or the letter "A".

                Hope my thoughts help,

                Bob Bilsland.

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <brian@...> wrote:

                > Yes, I plan on adding a 2nd column to the scroll wheel which will
                let you select the
                > starting letter A..Z so you can easily skip into the list.
                >
                > Right now I have around 70 portfolios in there, and it's still
                manageable, but I think when
                > it hits 100 it's going to get ugly.
                >
                > -B
                >

                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, aiwetir <aiwetir@> wrote:
                > >
                > > brian,
                > >
                > > any plans on the portfolio interface ? it's going to be a bit
                > > difficult to scroll when it reaches 500
                > >
                > > mmm
                > > http://pdxvr.com

              • Brian
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 17, 2008
                  No, Apple specifically makes this impossible to avoid malicious apps from doing harm.
                  They limit the amount of cross-talk between apps. A 3rd-party app can launch a URL in
                  Safari, but Safari cannot launch an app.

                  -Brian

                  > Hi Brian,
                  >
                  > If you answered this already, I missed it. Will there possibly ever
                  > be any way for a link on your web page in Safari/iPhone to open a
                  > pano in PangeaVR? That way they could get there without actually
                  > having looked through the list, just by seeing a link from your
                  > website (or a blog or whatever) and being interested.
                  >
                  > John
                  >
                  > John Riley
                  > johnriley@...
                  > jriley@...

                • Geoff Mather
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 30, 2008
                    Brian - Just been updating my portfolio.xml files for the new parameters.

                    One question as you specify initFOV, which FoV do you assume ?
                    I ask because all three Horizontal, Vertical and Diagonal are in use
                    in various common viewers!!!!

                    Also following on from that which dimension of the iPhone will that
                    apply to, given that it can be held in either (I guess portrait but as
                    I'm asking ..)?

                    Geoff
                  • aiwetir
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 30, 2008
                      should be vfov like his browser plugin, but i don't have an iphone so
                      i can't be sure

                      mmm
                      On 30 Jul 2008, at 10:05, Geoff Mather wrote:

                      > Brian - Just been updating my portfolio.xml files for the new
                      > parameters.
                      >
                      > One question as you specify initFOV, which FoV do you assume ?
                      > I ask because all three Horizontal, Vertical and Diagonal are in use
                      > in various common viewers!!!!
                      >
                      > Also following on from that which dimension of the iPhone will that
                      > apply to, given that it can be held in either (I guess portrait but as
                      > I'm asking ..)?
                      >
                      > Geoff

                    • michael medina
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 2, 2008
                        now it's my turn for an xml questionn:

                        can i use html formatting in the <about> tag such as <br/> and maybe some special
                        characters like ·, what about bold, italic ?

                        cheers,
                        mmm
                      • Matthew Rogers
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 2, 2008
                          Just upload the XML and view it in a browser. If there's an issue the
                          browser should tell you.

                          Matt

                          On 2 Aug 2008, at 09:34, michael medina wrote:

                          > now it's my turn for an xml questionn:
                          >
                          > can i use html formatting in the <about> tag such as <br/> and maybe
                          > some special
                          > characters like ·, what about bold, italic ?
                          >
                          > cheers,
                          > mmm

                        • aiwetir
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 2, 2008
                            thanks matt, but of course if i format it correctly the browser will
                            show it correctly, but what i don't know is how pangeavr parses it and
                            displays it, if it follows all the rules in xml or not.

                            mmm