Gitzo 6X for a light weight tripod?

  • Andrew G
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 13, 2008
      Hope to get some advice please.

      I've been carrying the Manfrotto 055A (2.2kg) tripod around for 3
      years and am really wanting to cut down on the weight. I now live in
      Vancouver, BC and there's plenty off hills, lakes etc to take 360
      shots of and have been looking at the Gitzo 6X Mountaineer series 0.
      and 1. The monopod is out as I'm using exposure bracketing more than
      ever now.

      Has anyone had any experience with the light weight tripods? What
      equipment they will hold? I'm hoping for something weighing 1.2kg area
      or less if possible.

      I'll have a Manfrotto ball head, Nodal Ninja 3, Nikon D80 (D300 next
      year) with 10.5mm sat on it and sometimes the 18-135mm Lens.

      Look forward to any replies.

      All the best,

      Andrew
    • Milko K. Amorth
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 13, 2008
        Hi Andrew,
        Welcome to Vancouver.
        > The monopod is out as I'm using exposure bracketing more than
        > ever now.

        Who says you could not bracket with a monopod, walking stick or even
        freehand?
        Cheers, Milko

        --
        Milko K.Amorth
        ph:604.561.5101

        www.VRCanada.ca
        360° Immersive Imaging
        Skype: VRdundee
      • John Riley
        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 13, 2008
          I am very happy with my Feisol CT-3442 (4 sections, they also have
          the 3343 with three sections.) Nice and tall (138cm), short folded
          (48cm), good strength (10 kg load capacity), and LIGHT (1.05 kg).
          This mass is with the flat plate mounted. A center column is
          optional as is a leveling base. At their prices, you can afford to
          get all three and use the plate, column or leveling base as needed.
          For hiking, using just the plate and leveling with the legs would
          give you a really nice light setup with your NN3! They have a nice
          matching ballhead that is sized perfectly so that you can fold the
          legs in the reversed position with the ballhead INSIDE the legs.
          That makes it short to pack even with the head mounted.

          At about $300 + shipping (+ any optional parts you will probably
          want) you are getting one hell of a nice deal compared to a Gitzo.
          The center column adds $39 and 200g; the leveling base adds $79 and
          435g (and I think those are actually the shipping weights, so it
          would be less unpacked.) Not sure how much you are taking off when
          you remove the plate to install one of those. I love mine! Check
          them out at feisol.com Note that I am purely a satisfied customer,
          not associated with them.

          I had thought about getting a Benro, but their ripoff of Gitzo
          designs gave me bad vibes. Feisol has original designs and is in
          Taiwan (where maybe patents and copyrights are more respected than
          mainland China?)

          John

          John Riley
          johnriley@...
          jriley@...

          On Jul 13, 2008, at 10:18 PM, Andrew G wrote:

          > Hope to get some advice please.
          >
          > I've been carrying the Manfrotto 055A (2.2kg) tripod around for 3
          > years and am really wanting to cut down on the weight. I now live in
          > Vancouver, BC and there's plenty off hills, lakes etc to take 360
          > shots of and have been looking at the Gitzo 6X Mountaineer series 0.
          > and 1. The monopod is out as I'm using exposure bracketing more than
          > ever now.
          >
          > Has anyone had any experience with the light weight tripods? What
          > equipment they will hold? I'm hoping for something weighing 1.2kg area
          > or less if possible.
          >
          > I'll have a Manfrotto ball head, Nodal Ninja 3, Nikon D80 (D300 next
          > year) with 10.5mm sat on it and sometimes the 18-135mm Lens.
          >
          > Look forward to any replies.
          >
          > All the best,
          >
          > Andrew

        • Uri Cogan
          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 13, 2008
            Milko K. Amorth wrote:

            > Who says you could not bracket with a monopod, walking stick or even
            > freehand?

            Would'nt it be a problem if you wanted to process the bracketed sets to
            HDR? I understand that good alignment between the source images is
            necessary. Is this correct?

            Uri

          • Roger D. Williams
            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 14, 2008
              On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 15:17:22 +0900, Uri Cogan <uri@...> wrote:

              > Milko K. Amorth wrote:
              >

              >> Who says you could not bracket with a monopod, walking stick or even
              >> freehand?
              >>

              > Would'nt it be a problem if you wanted to process the bracketed sets to
              > HDR? I understand that good alignment between the source images is
              > necessary. Is this correct?

              Hi, Uri...

              While there are now quite good alignment features in some HDR software
              that efficiently align images that need it because of such differences
              in source images, these cannot in themselves eliminate "ghosts" caused
              as people move between bracketed shots and, almost as important, the
              aligment process cannot cope with things like leaves and branches that
              are whipped by the wind. So I think you are correct.

              Roger W.

              --
              Work: www.adex-japan.com
              Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 14, 2008
                > > Milko K. Amorth wrote:
                > >

                > >> Who says you could not bracket with a monopod, walking stick or
                even
                > >> freehand?

                I often bracket monopod sequences. Usually it is only people and
                leaves that are big blurring problems and you can use say the middle
                exposure stitched panorama as the main panorama and composite into
                that an Enfuse or HDR sky upper half. The problem sometimes is
                getting a good stitch from the very dark sequence where you might
                have to make bright proxy images from them to find the control point
                matches with the rest -- then replace them with the originals to
                stitch with.

                Peter <ir[ju
              • Ken Warner
                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 14, 2008
                  Sorry to hijack the thread but how exactly do you do that?

                  I'm trying to figure out how to use Hugin to make a modest
                  HDR pano.

                  So you generate the control points for a bright sequence
                  of your images then save and use the .pto file to stitch
                  a dark sequence of the same images? How do you finally
                  merge the stack of panos?

                  panovrx wrote:

                  > even

                  > I often bracket monopod sequences. Usually it is only people and
                  > leaves that are big blurring problems and you can use say the middle
                  > exposure stitched panorama as the main panorama and composite into
                  > that an Enfuse or HDR sky upper half. The problem sometimes is
                  > getting a good stitch from the very dark sequence where you might
                  > have to make bright proxy images from them to find the control point
                  > matches with the rest -- then replace them with the originals to
                  > stitch with.
                  >
                  > Peter <ir[ju

                • panovrx
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 14, 2008

                    > Sorry to hijack the thread but how exactly do you do that?
                    >
                    > I'm trying to figure out how to use Hugin to make a modest
                    > HDR pano.
                    >
                    > So you generate the control points for a bright sequence
                    > of your images then save and use the .pto file to stitch
                    > a dark sequence of the same images? How do you finally
                    > merge the stack of panos?

                    No you take the dark images and you use photoshop to make them much
                    brighter -- even tho they look crappy like that -- then you use your
                    stitching program to find control points with these bright versions
                    of the dark images with the other exposure sequence images. Then you
                    make panoramas separately from each exposure sequence and blend them
                    (the stitched panoramas) in Enfuse etc. Then you have double
                    exposures where people have moved between the sequences but you
                    replace the blurry zone -- the bottom of the panorama probably --
                    with a single exposure panorama (the middle exposure probably) -- by
                    hand in Photoshop

                    Peter Murphy
                  • qsecofr88888
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jul 14, 2008
                      i had upgrade my tripod to feisol 3441 since beginning of this year.
                      the weight n the quality was far better than my old benro tripod.
                      the special feature for 3441 is that it has 2 sections center
                      columns, the tipod is very high when you fully extend both.
                      fatchai
                      (www.my360vr.com)

                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew G"
                      <conanthedestroya222@...> wrote:

                      > Hope to get some advice please.
                      >
                      > I've been carrying the Manfrotto 055A (2.2kg) tripod around for 3
                      > years and am really wanting to cut down on the weight. I now live in
                      > Vancouver, BC and there's plenty off hills, lakes etc to take 360
                      > shots of and have been looking at the Gitzo 6X Mountaineer series 0.
                      > and 1. The monopod is out as I'm using exposure bracketing more than
                      > ever now.
                      >
                      > Has anyone had any experience with the light weight tripods? What
                      > equipment they will hold? I'm hoping for something weighing 1.2kg
                      area
                      > or less if possible.
                      >
                      > I'll have a Manfrotto ball head, Nodal Ninja 3, Nikon D80 (D300 next
                      > year) with 10.5mm sat on it and sometimes the 18-135mm Lens.
                      >
                      > Look forward to any replies.
                      >
                      > All the best,
                      >
                      > Andrew

                    • Paul Fretheim
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jul 14, 2008
                        I also have a Feisol 4 section tripod. The trade-off against the Gitzo
                        is the locks on the legs. The Gitzo has elegant and easy to use clamp
                        type locks on the legs. The Feisol has twist type. The twist type
                        locks are more difficult to use and require more concentration. The
                        clamp locks work consistently and you don't have to give them a thought.

                        Oh - the other trade off is price. I use medium format equipment a lot
                        of the time now, so I needed a pretty strong tripod. I paid about $350
                        for my Feisol (Chinese for "Fly to the Sun."). A Gitzo of a similar
                        size was around $800.

                        I have backpacked my Feisol through a lot of rugged conditions and all
                        sorts of weather and it is holding up fine. The locks have always
                        worked and are usable under all the conditions I have experienced. But
                        the do require you to stop and think about it for a moment in the way
                        clamp locks don't.

                        Paul Fretheim
                        Inyo Pro
                      • Milko K. Amorth
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jul 14, 2008
                          Hi Yri,

                          > Would'nt it be a problem if you wanted to process the bracketed sets to
                          > HDR? I understand that good alignment between the source images is
                          > necessary. Is this correct?

                          Yes, but there are tools to correct that. Of course, some things like
                          wind and water are not correctable and blur/ghost. But that will happen
                          with a tripod as well.
                          http://360image.de/test/align_enfuse.htm

                          Cheers, Milko

                          --
                          Milko K.Amorth
                          ph:604.561.5101

                          www.VRCanada.ca
                          360° Immersive Imaging
                          Skype: VRdundee
                        • Andrew G
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jul 14, 2008
                            Hi,

                            Thanks for the info. Ive never heard of Feisol before. Will look more
                            into the products. I do like 'Clamp locks' on tripod legs. Their
                            advertising pictures are a somewhat less advanced than other companies
                            although it probably still works!

                            http://www.feisol.com

                            Click on 'New products' ;-)

                            Milko, regarding the pole, it's just too much hassel for
                            bracketing/hdr 360 shots. I spend as little time as possible in
                            photoshop and my method of taking shots and using a pole guarantee
                            'patch ups' in PS. I'll be happy with a tripod in the 1.2kg area to
                            carry up a hill.

                            Vancouver is excellent! I've got a fair amount taken already in the 2
                            months since arriving. A few at the top of Mount Whistler also. We
                            drove over from Kingston, Ontario and I took a 360 shot roughly every
                            250km. Had to stop by the 'Corner Gas' studio near Regina but was
                            politely removed after getting those panoramas. Bloody tripods always
                            get me into trouble ;-)

                            Andrew
                          • John Riley
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jul 14, 2008
                              On Jul 14, 2008, at 9:28 AM, Paul Fretheim wrote:

                              > I also have a Feisol 4 section tripod. The trade-off against the Gitzo
                              > is the locks on the legs. The Gitzo has elegant and easy to use clamp
                              > type locks on the legs. The Feisol has twist type. The twist type
                              > locks are more difficult to use and require more concentration. The
                              > clamp locks work consistently and you don't have to give them a
                              > thought.

                              Clamp locks are nice in a lot of ways, but once you get the rhythm of
                              the twist type it is just as fast and easy. You just train yourself
                              to loosen from outer to inner and tighten from inner to outer. Plus,
                              I think the twist type are lighter. My old Manfrotto had the
                              horrible knobs to tighten. Now THOSE are awful (and slow.)

                              John

                              John Riley
                              johnriley@...
                              jriley@...

                            • AYRTON
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jul 14, 2008
                                On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 10:47 PM, John Riley <johnriley@...> wrote:

                                > My old Manfrotto had the
                                > horrible knobs to tighten. Now THOSE are awful (and slow.)

                                Tell me about it :-)

                                AYRTON

                                > John
                                >
                                > John Riley
                                > johnriley@...
                                > jriley@...

                                ------------
                                | A Y R |
                                | T O N |
                                ------------

                                + 55 21 9982 6313

                                http://ayrton360.com
                                http://rio.360cities.net
                                http://vrfolio.com
                                http://ayrton.com

                              • John Riley
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jul 14, 2008
                                  On Jul 14, 2008, at 3:35 PM, Andrew G wrote:

                                  > Thanks for the info. Ive never heard of Feisol before. Will look more
                                  > into the products. I do like 'Clamp locks' on tripod legs. Their
                                  > advertising pictures are a somewhat less advanced than other companies
                                  > although it probably still works!
                                  >
                                  > http://www.feisol.com
                                  >
                                  > Click on 'New products' ;-)

                                  YES! Their website is atrocious! You look at the woman on that page
                                  and wonder what the heck they were thinking. I guess they are
                                  spending a lot more time in engineering than site design and product
                                  photography.

                                  John

                                  John Riley
                                  johnriley@...
                                  jriley@...

                                • Matthias Taugwalder
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jul 14, 2008
                                    Hi Andrew

                                    The Gitzo Carbon Fiber (6x) tripods are absolutely outstanding. I am using a
                                    series 0 tripod - as this one here http://tinyurl.com/6jotv5 *- *for all my
                                    work in the Swiss Alps. It is light to carry, but although the weight of
                                    only 0.7 kg also very sturdy.

                                    I can absolutely recommend this serie of tripods...

                                    Greetings from Switzerland,

                                    Matthias

                                    --
                                    Matthias Taugwalder
                                    matthias.taugwalder@...

                                  • jann lipka
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jul 14, 2008
                                      Another voice for Feisol ( recommended to me by another Pano photographer )

                                      ( Their website is for sure not user friendly at all ) .

                                      My CT 3441 is the only tripod that comes with me on day tours ,

                                      I bought it because it is tall extended, still very light .
                                      I hate tripods that ends below my waist level :-)

                                      Comes also with a bag that makes it easy to carry .

                                      I use it with2 different Really Right Stuff heads
                                      ( depending on what camera I use ) .

                                      I have a Gitzo carbon tripod too ( I¹m not sure what model ) , but it is
                                      more heavy,
                                      Its rubber twists got a lot of cracks ...

                                    • Paul Fretheim
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jul 15, 2008
                                        I see that the Gitzo Matthias uses, Gitzo GT-0530 6X Carbon, has twist
                                        type leg locks, so not all Gitzos have the clamp type. Also the price
                                        is not so bad at $400 with a $40 rebate at B&H today.

                                        Don't worry about the Feisol web site being crummy. They have always
                                        been very dependable. And - hey - I thought that girl was sexy!

                                        I lost one of the rubber feet at the bottom of one of the legs of my
                                        Feisol CT-3402 and I just sent an e-mail to Feisol via their "Contact"
                                        e-mail address inquiring how to order a replacement. They replied "Item
                                        as already sent now" and a few days later I got a small manila envelope
                                        in the mail with three replacement feet, sent for free. Also, the next
                                        time I cleaned out my 4Runner thoroughly the original rubber foot turned
                                        up, so now I have some spares!

                                        Paul Fretheim
                                      • Keith Martin
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jul 15, 2008
                                          Sometime around 14/7/08 (at 19:35 +0000) Andrew G said:

                                          >Their advertising pictures are a somewhat less advanced than other
                                          >companies although it probably still works!
                                          >
                                          >http://www.feisol.com
                                          >
                                          >Click on 'New products' ;-)

                                          Ouch - that girl is probably not much heavier than the tripods!

                                          Thanks for the link, those do look interesting. My current tripod is
                                          a cheap Calumet-brand model. It is a really solid aluminium and steel
                                          construction - but it weighs more than I care to mention. My only
                                          concern is the *real* level of twist and flex that these gorgeous
                                          carbon-fibre things may have, particularly in the hinge joints. I
                                          guess I'll have to try a few for myself at camera stores. Friends
                                          have always told me how stiff their tripods are but they're often
                                          more flexible than my cheapo lump of metal!

                                          I'm particularly interested in Feisol's video-style half-ball leveler
                                          bases. I've always liked the speed of levelling they give whenever
                                          I've used pro video equipment, but I've never been able to afford
                                          those full-height Manfrotto video tripods. :-)

                                        • bigwade
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jul 15, 2008
                                            Another vote for Feisol,
                                            I have a CT-3441S(B) and a CT-3402 (and a lot of Gitzo's)
                                            The first one is a very nice one to take on travel.
                                            The second is a bit sturdier but can't reach the hight of the 3441 and is a
                                            bit heavier.
                                            The 3441 fits in your hand luggage at planes and still reaches 1,90
                                            meters......
                                            Feisol Customer service is indeed VERY GOOD. (Hi Orion!)
                                            Have Fun!

                                            Andrew G-6 wrote:

                                            > Hope to get some advice please.
                                            >
                                            > I've been carrying the Manfrotto 055A (2.2kg) tripod around for 3
                                            > years and am really wanting to cut down on the weight. I now live in
                                            > Vancouver, BC and there's plenty off hills, lakes etc to take 360
                                            > shots of and have been looking at the Gitzo 6X Mountaineer series 0.
                                            > and 1. The monopod is out as I'm using exposure bracketing more than
                                            > ever now.
                                            >
                                            > Has anyone had any experience with the light weight tripods? What
                                            > equipment they will hold? I'm hoping for something weighing 1.2kg area
                                            > or less if possible.
                                            >
                                            > I'll have a Manfrotto ball head, Nodal Ninja 3, Nikon D80 (D300 next
                                            > year) with 10.5mm sat on it and sometimes the 18-135mm Lens.
                                            >
                                            > Look forward to any replies.
                                            >
                                            > All the best,
                                            >
                                            > Andrew

                                          • John Riley
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jul 15, 2008
                                              On Jul 15, 2008, at 7:32 PM, bigwade wrote:

                                              > Feisol Customer service is indeed VERY GOOD. (Hi Orion!)

                                              Ditto on that! I had one minor problem and he had the materials out
                                              the door and on my doorstep faster than I thought things could get
                                              here from Taiwan! Some of the best customer service I have had.

                                              John

                                              John Riley
                                              johnriley@...
                                              jriley@...

                                            • Andrew G
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jul 15, 2008
                                                Ok, you've got me interested in Feisol!!

                                                I've been reading up and the CT-3441S seems to be a good deal for my
                                                purposes and weighs only 1.0kg / 2.2lbs. The max load is 10kg /
                                                22lbs so that's enough for what I need sat on it. The price tag
                                                (US$299) is a whole lot better than the Gitzo 6 X.

                                                I went to the photographers store here in Vancouver to try out the
                                                Gitzo 6 X. There seemed to be something too flimsy about the legs. Ok
                                                for a regular camera and lens but not the added pano head and ball
                                                head? Perhaps I'm expecting too much out of a light weight tripod.

                                                Thanks for all the input and I'm really happy to hear of a new brand
                                                of tripods.

                                                All the best,

                                                Andrew
                                              • qsecofr88888
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jul 16, 2008
                                                  the 3441S actually has bigger and stronger screw lock then the 3441
                                                  but the height will be 8 cm shorter than the 3441. cheers

                                                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew G"
                                                  <conanthedestroya222@...> wrote:

                                                  > Ok, you've got me interested in Feisol!!
                                                  >
                                                  > I've been reading up and the CT-3441S seems to be a good deal for my
                                                  > purposes and weighs only 1.0kg / 2.2lbs. The max load is 10kg /
                                                  > 22lbs so that's enough for what I need sat on it. The price tag
                                                  > (US$299) is a whole lot better than the Gitzo 6 X.
                                                  >
                                                  > I went to the photographers store here in Vancouver to try out the
                                                  > Gitzo 6 X. There seemed to be something too flimsy about the legs.
                                                  Ok
                                                  > for a regular camera and lens but not the added pano head and ball
                                                  > head? Perhaps I'm expecting too much out of a light weight tripod.
                                                  >

                                                  > Thanks for all the input and I'm really happy to hear of a new brand
                                                  > of tripods.
                                                  >
                                                  > All the best,
                                                  >
                                                  > Andrew

                                                • Andrew G
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Jul 30, 2008
                                                    Got the Feisol CT-3441S and I'm finally carrying a lighter tripod
                                                    around. It works perfect for my needs and it's solid. Weight hook
                                                    underneath if things get a little too windy.

                                                    Can't believe how many outback locations the manfrotto 2.2kg tripod
                                                    got carried to. A knackering experience (but worth it for the 360
                                                    shots I got).

                                                    Thanks again for the heads up on Feisol.

                                                    Andrew