Photo Survey Networks

  • Jim Sutherland
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2008
      Greetings to all:

      This note outlines some testing and research that I have done with panorama photo survey networks over the last couple of years. As a land surveyor, I have been interested in the potential for using panorama's for documenting survey works and to provide an easy means to map/measure visible objects of interest. In order to map an area, I create a network of panorama points around the scene using the same design prinicples as I would as a land surveyor. In order to easily see objects within the scene, I take the panorama's using a telescoping monopod up to 25 above ground level to obtain a birds-eye perspective. In order to control scale, I measure some of the distances between the panorama nodes using an inexpensive fabricated platform that integrates a laser ranger, a digital inclinometer and a red dot sight. If you want to derive real world coordinates, I take autonomous GPS coordinate observations at some of the panoroama nodes. Once you stitch the panorama's, you essentially have a theodolite in the sky for determining relative directions.

      I then derive the relative directions at each panorama node to the other nodes. I then create an input file and run a 2D least square adjustment of the direction, distance and coordinate observations using open source least square adjustment called GNU Gama. You then analyse the results and you end up with final real world coordinates for your panorama photo survey network. Now you can map or measure visible objects from two or more of your panorama's using simple geometry.

      I am wondering if anyone else is using similar techniques? I have put together a website that provides a lot more detail on some of these processes and highlights some hardware and software tools. There are opportunities to automate many of these processes. If there is an interest, I would like to see the community share exeriences and work together to improve and enhance the object mapping processes. Please let me know what you think.

      website: www.vrmapper.com
      article providing basic overview: http://www.vrmapper.com/power2.pdf

      Thank you in advance for any thoughts provided on this,
      Jim Sutherland