Re: [PanoToolsNG] automated geotagging without GPS

  • Lars O. Grobe
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2, 2008
      > It uses triangulation via the nearest cell towers to determine your
      > position. I think outside the US this technique is pretty unreliable.

      Depends on the resolution needed - for many application even tagging
      with a city name might be enough. Here in Istanbul I get the street name
      displayed just by the closest station - which is quite relieable due to
      the hight density of antennas here - too bad that it would be difficult
      to connect my phone to my compact camera... ;-) CU Lars.
    • Carel
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2008
        Erik Krause wrote:

        > Carel wrote:
        >>
        >> This is the same technology that was used on the first iPhone, built into
        >> a memory card.
        >> http://www.eye.fi/products/explore/
        >>

        > So how should we understand this: Are the images tagged with the
        > coordinates of the wifi hotspot? Or is there a GPS receiver inside the
        > card (which then would not be *without* GPS)?
        >
        > best regards
        > Erik

        The first iPhone used the same system instead of GPS and apparently it
        is/was accurate enough to use with a street map system. For dense cities
        with tall buildings it may even work better than GPS. But for rural
        environments it would fail, especially here in the US with its dismal mobile
        coverage. As far as I understand from the reviews, the card tags the GPS
        coordinates in the EXIF. The data base had to be built with cars canvassing
        all streets, like Google's streetview database. Amazing that such a labor
        and gasoline intensive project can make someone money.

        Carel

      • Carel
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2, 2008
          Erik Krause wrote:

          > So how should we understand this: Are the images tagged with the
          > coordinates of the wifi hotspot? Or is there a GPS receiver inside the
          > card (which then would not be *without* GPS)?
          >
          > best regards
          > Erik

          From what I understand reading some of the reviews, the coordinates are
          calculated by triangulation of wifi hotspots in the area. So it at least
          aspires to giving the real coordinates of the spot where the photo was
          taken. This is somehow accomplished with the database that was built by
          readings from the cars that cruised through every street in every town. I
          guess the unique ID of each WiFi unit is used. The scheme seems a bit wacky
          to me. WiFi units constantly get moved from one spot to another or replaced
          by a newer unit.

          Carel