Re: [PanoToolsNG] automated geotagging without GPS

  • Matthew Rogers
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2, 2008
      > Carel wrote:
      > >
      > > This is the same technology that was used on the first iPhone,
      > built into
      > > a memory card.
      > > http://www.eye.fi/products/explore/
      > >

      > So how should we understand this: Are the images tagged with the
      > coordinates
      > of the wifi hotspot? Or is there a GPS receiver inside the card
      > (which then
      > would not be *without* GPS)?
      >
      > best regards
      > Erik

      It uses triangulation via the nearest cell towers to determine your
      position. I think outside the US this technique is pretty unreliable.

      Matt
    • Lars O. Grobe
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2008
        > It uses triangulation via the nearest cell towers to determine your
        > position. I think outside the US this technique is pretty unreliable.

        Depends on the resolution needed - for many application even tagging
        with a city name might be enough. Here in Istanbul I get the street name
        displayed just by the closest station - which is quite relieable due to
        the hight density of antennas here - too bad that it would be difficult
        to connect my phone to my compact camera... ;-) CU Lars.
      • Carel
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2, 2008
          Erik Krause wrote:

          > Carel wrote:
          >>
          >> This is the same technology that was used on the first iPhone, built into
          >> a memory card.
          >> http://www.eye.fi/products/explore/
          >>

          > So how should we understand this: Are the images tagged with the
          > coordinates of the wifi hotspot? Or is there a GPS receiver inside the
          > card (which then would not be *without* GPS)?
          >
          > best regards
          > Erik

          The first iPhone used the same system instead of GPS and apparently it
          is/was accurate enough to use with a street map system. For dense cities
          with tall buildings it may even work better than GPS. But for rural
          environments it would fail, especially here in the US with its dismal mobile
          coverage. As far as I understand from the reviews, the card tags the GPS
          coordinates in the EXIF. The data base had to be built with cars canvassing
          all streets, like Google's streetview database. Amazing that such a labor
          and gasoline intensive project can make someone money.

          Carel

        • Carel
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 2, 2008
            Erik Krause wrote:

            > So how should we understand this: Are the images tagged with the
            > coordinates of the wifi hotspot? Or is there a GPS receiver inside the
            > card (which then would not be *without* GPS)?
            >
            > best regards
            > Erik

            From what I understand reading some of the reviews, the coordinates are
            calculated by triangulation of wifi hotspots in the area. So it at least
            aspires to giving the real coordinates of the spot where the photo was
            taken. This is somehow accomplished with the database that was built by
            readings from the cars that cruised through every street in every town. I
            guess the unique ID of each WiFi unit is used. The scheme seems a bit wacky
            to me. WiFi units constantly get moved from one spot to another or replaced
            by a newer unit.

            Carel