Re: [PanoToolsNG] automated geotagging without GPS

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2, 2008
      Carel wrote:

      > This is the same technology that was used on the first iPhone, built into
      > a memory card.
      > http://www.eye.fi/products/explore/

      So how should we understand this: Are the images tagged with the coordinates
      of the wifi hotspot? Or is there a GPS receiver inside the card (which then
      would not be *without* GPS)?

      best regards
      Erik

      -----
    • Matthew Rogers
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2008
        > Carel wrote:
        > >
        > > This is the same technology that was used on the first iPhone,
        > built into
        > > a memory card.
        > > http://www.eye.fi/products/explore/
        > >

        > So how should we understand this: Are the images tagged with the
        > coordinates
        > of the wifi hotspot? Or is there a GPS receiver inside the card
        > (which then
        > would not be *without* GPS)?
        >
        > best regards
        > Erik

        It uses triangulation via the nearest cell towers to determine your
        position. I think outside the US this technique is pretty unreliable.

        Matt
      • Lars O. Grobe
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2, 2008
          > It uses triangulation via the nearest cell towers to determine your
          > position. I think outside the US this technique is pretty unreliable.

          Depends on the resolution needed - for many application even tagging
          with a city name might be enough. Here in Istanbul I get the street name
          displayed just by the closest station - which is quite relieable due to
          the hight density of antennas here - too bad that it would be difficult
          to connect my phone to my compact camera... ;-) CU Lars.
        • Carel
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 2, 2008
            Erik Krause wrote:

            > Carel wrote:
            >>
            >> This is the same technology that was used on the first iPhone, built into
            >> a memory card.
            >> http://www.eye.fi/products/explore/
            >>

            > So how should we understand this: Are the images tagged with the
            > coordinates of the wifi hotspot? Or is there a GPS receiver inside the
            > card (which then would not be *without* GPS)?
            >
            > best regards
            > Erik

            The first iPhone used the same system instead of GPS and apparently it
            is/was accurate enough to use with a street map system. For dense cities
            with tall buildings it may even work better than GPS. But for rural
            environments it would fail, especially here in the US with its dismal mobile
            coverage. As far as I understand from the reviews, the card tags the GPS
            coordinates in the EXIF. The data base had to be built with cars canvassing
            all streets, like Google's streetview database. Amazing that such a labor
            and gasoline intensive project can make someone money.

            Carel

          • Carel
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 2, 2008
              Erik Krause wrote:

              > So how should we understand this: Are the images tagged with the
              > coordinates of the wifi hotspot? Or is there a GPS receiver inside the
              > card (which then would not be *without* GPS)?
              >
              > best regards
              > Erik

              From what I understand reading some of the reviews, the coordinates are
              calculated by triangulation of wifi hotspots in the area. So it at least
              aspires to giving the real coordinates of the spot where the photo was
              taken. This is somehow accomplished with the database that was built by
              readings from the cars that cruised through every street in every town. I
              guess the unique ID of each WiFi unit is used. The scheme seems a bit wacky
              to me. WiFi units constantly get moved from one spot to another or replaced
              by a newer unit.

              Carel