[PanoToolsNG] automated geotagging without GPS

  • Carel
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1 12:12 PM
      This is the same technology that was used on the first iPhone, built into a
      memory card.
      http://www.eye.fi/products/explore/

      Carel Struycken
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2 12:47 AM
        Carel wrote:

        > This is the same technology that was used on the first iPhone, built into
        > a memory card.
        > http://www.eye.fi/products/explore/

        So how should we understand this: Are the images tagged with the coordinates
        of the wifi hotspot? Or is there a GPS receiver inside the card (which then
        would not be *without* GPS)?

        best regards
        Erik

        -----
      • Matthew Rogers
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2 1:10 AM
          > Carel wrote:
          > >
          > > This is the same technology that was used on the first iPhone,
          > built into
          > > a memory card.
          > > http://www.eye.fi/products/explore/
          > >

          > So how should we understand this: Are the images tagged with the
          > coordinates
          > of the wifi hotspot? Or is there a GPS receiver inside the card
          > (which then
          > would not be *without* GPS)?
          >
          > best regards
          > Erik

          It uses triangulation via the nearest cell towers to determine your
          position. I think outside the US this technique is pretty unreliable.

          Matt
        • Lars O. Grobe
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 2 1:22 AM
            > It uses triangulation via the nearest cell towers to determine your
            > position. I think outside the US this technique is pretty unreliable.

            Depends on the resolution needed - for many application even tagging
            with a city name might be enough. Here in Istanbul I get the street name
            displayed just by the closest station - which is quite relieable due to
            the hight density of antennas here - too bad that it would be difficult
            to connect my phone to my compact camera... ;-) CU Lars.
          • Carel
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 2 8:29 AM
              Erik Krause wrote:

              > Carel wrote:
              >>
              >> This is the same technology that was used on the first iPhone, built into
              >> a memory card.
              >> http://www.eye.fi/products/explore/
              >>

              > So how should we understand this: Are the images tagged with the
              > coordinates of the wifi hotspot? Or is there a GPS receiver inside the
              > card (which then would not be *without* GPS)?
              >
              > best regards
              > Erik

              The first iPhone used the same system instead of GPS and apparently it
              is/was accurate enough to use with a street map system. For dense cities
              with tall buildings it may even work better than GPS. But for rural
              environments it would fail, especially here in the US with its dismal mobile
              coverage. As far as I understand from the reviews, the card tags the GPS
              coordinates in the EXIF. The data base had to be built with cars canvassing
              all streets, like Google's streetview database. Amazing that such a labor
              and gasoline intensive project can make someone money.

              Carel

            • Carel
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 2 3:01 PM
                Erik Krause wrote:

                > So how should we understand this: Are the images tagged with the
                > coordinates of the wifi hotspot? Or is there a GPS receiver inside the
                > card (which then would not be *without* GPS)?
                >
                > best regards
                > Erik

                From what I understand reading some of the reviews, the coordinates are
                calculated by triangulation of wifi hotspots in the area. So it at least
                aspires to giving the real coordinates of the spot where the photo was
                taken. This is somehow accomplished with the database that was built by
                readings from the cars that cruised through every street in every town. I
                guess the unique ID of each WiFi unit is used. The scheme seems a bit wacky
                to me. WiFi units constantly get moved from one spot to another or replaced
                by a newer unit.

                Carel