[PanoToolsNG] Re: Nikon D700

  • Keith Martin
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1 10:13 AM
      Sometime around 1/7/08 (at 16:20 +0000) eli20sf said:

      >I know it's some where, but can someone tell me what size pano you can
      >get with shaved 10.5 and FX sensor?
      >
      >Can you create sharp full screen panos?

      You may well have to persuade the camera to use the full sensor when
      using DX lenses. Isn't that a small issue with the Nikon D3, that a
      DX lens will, by default at least, set the camera into a mode that
      only uses the innder DX-sized sensor area?

      In which case, shaved or not, you'd be using something with a
      resolution and sensor area of around 6MP - similar to a D70.

      This can almost certainly be overridden, but how easy is that, and
      does it have to be done every time a DX lens is attached? Or every
      time the camera is turned on with a DX lens fitted? I don't mean to
      put this down, but these are things that are particularly important
      to pano photographers.

    • eli20sf
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1 10:27 AM

        > Sometime around 1/7/08 (at 16:20 +0000) eli20sf said:
        >
        > >I know it's some where, but can someone tell me what size pano you can
        > >get with shaved 10.5 and FX sensor?
        > >
        > >Can you create sharp full screen panos?
        >
        > You may well have to persuade the camera to use the full sensor when
        > using DX lenses. Isn't that a small issue with the Nikon D3, that a
        > DX lens will, by default at least, set the camera into a mode that
        > only uses the innder DX-sized sensor area?
        >
        > In which case, shaved or not, you'd be using something with a
        > resolution and sensor area of around 6MP - similar to a D70.
        >
        > This can almost certainly be overridden, but how easy is that, and
        > does it have to be done every time a DX lens is attached? Or every
        > time the camera is turned on with a DX lens fitted? I don't mean to
        > put this down, but these are things that are particularly important
        > to pano photographers.

        THanks - so is the above an ongoing hassle for those FX/10.5 users, or
        are you hypothetically saying it could be? Is there a way for the
        camera to remember what you want settings wise?

        Thanks again ..
      • Jakob Norstedt-Moberg
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1 10:30 AM
          On D3, and probably also on the D700, you set "automatic DX cropping
          off" just once and it will always interpret your 10.5 (and other DX
          lenses) as fullframe lenses. No problem.

          Jakob
          > You may well have to persuade the camera to use the full sensor when
          > using DX lenses. Isn't that a small issue with the Nikon D3, that a
          > DX lens will, by default at least, set the camera into a mode that
          > only uses the innder DX-sized sensor area?
          >
          > In which case, shaved or not, you'd be using something with a
          > resolution and sensor area of around 6MP - similar to a D70.
          >
          > This can almost certainly be overridden, but how easy is that, and
          > does it have to be done every time a DX lens is attached? Or every
          > time the camera is turned on with a DX lens fitted? I don't mean to
          > put this down, but these are things that are particularly important
          > to pano photographers.

        • Jeffrey Martin
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 1 10:39 AM
            > That's pretty close to what I trim down my d200 x 10.5 to anyhow (I
            > use 6880 x 3440).

            it depends on how you crop the source images.

            e.g. with canon 5d / shaved 10.5, if you use a 194 degree circle the
            "largest" pano is 6600x3300.

            if you use a 141 degree circle, the "largest" pano is 7400x3800.

            so yes your d700 will make panos around 7000x3500 with a 10.5 :-)

            Jeffrey Martin
            tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin

            Re: Nikon D700
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/21035;_ylc=X3oDMTJzNHNnNmI4BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE4MjI3ODQ4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNjQ5NgRtc2dJZAMyMTAzNQRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMjE0OTMyOTYw>
            Posted
            by: "eli20sf" epoblitz@...
            <epoblitz@...?Subject=+Re%3A%20Nikon%20D700> eli20sf
            <http://profiles.yahoo.com/eli20sf> Tue Jul 1, 2008 9:35 am (PDT) O.K. -
            looks like I found it - 6646 x 3323 (from
            http://www.360precision.com/360/index.cfm?precision=products.d3_n10pt5mm_6_0_fx
            )