Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Nikon D700

  • Robert C. Fisher
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
      With my D200 and 10.5 nikkor I get panos with a native size of about
      10,600 px wide. I think PTGui calls it maximum size. I normally use
      6k x 3k for displayed panos. For the D3/D700 full frame sensors the
      max frame size will be a bit less but with less noise.

      On Jul 1, 2008, at 9:35 AM, eli20sf wrote:

      > O.K. - looks like I found it - 6646 x 3323 (from
      > http://www.360precision.com/360/index.cfm?
      > precision=products.d3_n10pt5mm_6_0_fx)
      >
      > That's pretty close to what I trim down my d200 x 10.5 to anyhow (I
      > use 6880 x 3440).
      >
      > O.K. I'll stop talking to myself :)
      >
      > But for those who have gone from my set up to the D3/10.5 ... I'd love
      > to hear about the transition (the pro's and the con's).
      >
      > Thanks again,
      >
      > Eli

      Cheers
      Robert C. Fisher
      VR Photography/Cinematography
    • Sacha Griffin
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
        Roughly on par with a 5d - 10.5 combo

        It's just under 7000x3500

        Convenient and a good match for web publishing.

        Sharp yes, other cameras and lenses sharper of course but more work.

        Sacha Griffin

        Southern Digital Solutions LLC

        http://www.southern-digital.com

        http://www.seeit360.net

        404-551-4275

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
          Hi Sacha,

          Very nice FPP template. I wish I had the xml and flash/action script
          skills to do something similar - great work!

          Eli
        • Keith Martin
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
            Sometime around 1/7/08 (at 16:20 +0000) eli20sf said:

            >I know it's some where, but can someone tell me what size pano you can
            >get with shaved 10.5 and FX sensor?
            >
            >Can you create sharp full screen panos?

            You may well have to persuade the camera to use the full sensor when
            using DX lenses. Isn't that a small issue with the Nikon D3, that a
            DX lens will, by default at least, set the camera into a mode that
            only uses the innder DX-sized sensor area?

            In which case, shaved or not, you'd be using something with a
            resolution and sensor area of around 6MP - similar to a D70.

            This can almost certainly be overridden, but how easy is that, and
            does it have to be done every time a DX lens is attached? Or every
            time the camera is turned on with a DX lens fitted? I don't mean to
            put this down, but these are things that are particularly important
            to pano photographers.

          • eli20sf
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008

              > Sometime around 1/7/08 (at 16:20 +0000) eli20sf said:
              >
              > >I know it's some where, but can someone tell me what size pano you can
              > >get with shaved 10.5 and FX sensor?
              > >
              > >Can you create sharp full screen panos?
              >
              > You may well have to persuade the camera to use the full sensor when
              > using DX lenses. Isn't that a small issue with the Nikon D3, that a
              > DX lens will, by default at least, set the camera into a mode that
              > only uses the innder DX-sized sensor area?
              >
              > In which case, shaved or not, you'd be using something with a
              > resolution and sensor area of around 6MP - similar to a D70.
              >
              > This can almost certainly be overridden, but how easy is that, and
              > does it have to be done every time a DX lens is attached? Or every
              > time the camera is turned on with a DX lens fitted? I don't mean to
              > put this down, but these are things that are particularly important
              > to pano photographers.

              THanks - so is the above an ongoing hassle for those FX/10.5 users, or
              are you hypothetically saying it could be? Is there a way for the
              camera to remember what you want settings wise?

              Thanks again ..
            • Jakob Norstedt-Moberg
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
                On D3, and probably also on the D700, you set "automatic DX cropping
                off" just once and it will always interpret your 10.5 (and other DX
                lenses) as fullframe lenses. No problem.

                Jakob
                > You may well have to persuade the camera to use the full sensor when
                > using DX lenses. Isn't that a small issue with the Nikon D3, that a
                > DX lens will, by default at least, set the camera into a mode that
                > only uses the innder DX-sized sensor area?
                >
                > In which case, shaved or not, you'd be using something with a
                > resolution and sensor area of around 6MP - similar to a D70.
                >
                > This can almost certainly be overridden, but how easy is that, and
                > does it have to be done every time a DX lens is attached? Or every
                > time the camera is turned on with a DX lens fitted? I don't mean to
                > put this down, but these are things that are particularly important
                > to pano photographers.

              • Jeffrey Martin
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
                  > That's pretty close to what I trim down my d200 x 10.5 to anyhow (I
                  > use 6880 x 3440).

                  it depends on how you crop the source images.

                  e.g. with canon 5d / shaved 10.5, if you use a 194 degree circle the
                  "largest" pano is 6600x3300.

                  if you use a 141 degree circle, the "largest" pano is 7400x3800.

                  so yes your d700 will make panos around 7000x3500 with a 10.5 :-)

                  Jeffrey Martin
                  tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin

                  Re: Nikon D700
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/21035;_ylc=X3oDMTJzNHNnNmI4BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE4MjI3ODQ4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNjQ5NgRtc2dJZAMyMTAzNQRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMjE0OTMyOTYw>
                  Posted
                  by: "eli20sf" epoblitz@...
                  <epoblitz@...?Subject=+Re%3A%20Nikon%20D700> eli20sf
                  <http://profiles.yahoo.com/eli20sf> Tue Jul 1, 2008 9:35 am (PDT) O.K. -