Re: Nikon D700

  • eli20sf
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
      O.K. - looks like I found it - 6646 x 3323 (from
      http://www.360precision.com/360/index.cfm?precision=products.d3_n10pt5mm_6_0_fx)

      That's pretty close to what I trim down my d200 x 10.5 to anyhow (I
      use 6880 x 3440).

      O.K. I'll stop talking to myself :)

      But for those who have gone from my set up to the D3/10.5 ... I'd love
      to hear about the transition (the pro's and the con's).

      Thanks again,

      Eli
    • Robert C. Fisher
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
        With my D200 and 10.5 nikkor I get panos with a native size of about
        10,600 px wide. I think PTGui calls it maximum size. I normally use
        6k x 3k for displayed panos. For the D3/D700 full frame sensors the
        max frame size will be a bit less but with less noise.

        On Jul 1, 2008, at 9:35 AM, eli20sf wrote:

        > O.K. - looks like I found it - 6646 x 3323 (from
        > http://www.360precision.com/360/index.cfm?
        > precision=products.d3_n10pt5mm_6_0_fx)
        >
        > That's pretty close to what I trim down my d200 x 10.5 to anyhow (I
        > use 6880 x 3440).
        >
        > O.K. I'll stop talking to myself :)
        >
        > But for those who have gone from my set up to the D3/10.5 ... I'd love
        > to hear about the transition (the pro's and the con's).
        >
        > Thanks again,
        >
        > Eli

        Cheers
        Robert C. Fisher
        VR Photography/Cinematography
      • Sacha Griffin
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
          Roughly on par with a 5d - 10.5 combo

          It's just under 7000x3500

          Convenient and a good match for web publishing.

          Sharp yes, other cameras and lenses sharper of course but more work.

          Sacha Griffin

          Southern Digital Solutions LLC

          http://www.southern-digital.com

          http://www.seeit360.net

          404-551-4275

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
            Hi Sacha,

            Very nice FPP template. I wish I had the xml and flash/action script
            skills to do something similar - great work!

            Eli
          • Keith Martin
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
              Sometime around 1/7/08 (at 16:20 +0000) eli20sf said:

              >I know it's some where, but can someone tell me what size pano you can
              >get with shaved 10.5 and FX sensor?
              >
              >Can you create sharp full screen panos?

              You may well have to persuade the camera to use the full sensor when
              using DX lenses. Isn't that a small issue with the Nikon D3, that a
              DX lens will, by default at least, set the camera into a mode that
              only uses the innder DX-sized sensor area?

              In which case, shaved or not, you'd be using something with a
              resolution and sensor area of around 6MP - similar to a D70.

              This can almost certainly be overridden, but how easy is that, and
              does it have to be done every time a DX lens is attached? Or every
              time the camera is turned on with a DX lens fitted? I don't mean to
              put this down, but these are things that are particularly important
              to pano photographers.

            • eli20sf
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008

                > Sometime around 1/7/08 (at 16:20 +0000) eli20sf said:
                >
                > >I know it's some where, but can someone tell me what size pano you can
                > >get with shaved 10.5 and FX sensor?
                > >
                > >Can you create sharp full screen panos?
                >
                > You may well have to persuade the camera to use the full sensor when
                > using DX lenses. Isn't that a small issue with the Nikon D3, that a
                > DX lens will, by default at least, set the camera into a mode that
                > only uses the innder DX-sized sensor area?
                >
                > In which case, shaved or not, you'd be using something with a
                > resolution and sensor area of around 6MP - similar to a D70.
                >
                > This can almost certainly be overridden, but how easy is that, and
                > does it have to be done every time a DX lens is attached? Or every
                > time the camera is turned on with a DX lens fitted? I don't mean to
                > put this down, but these are things that are particularly important
                > to pano photographers.

                THanks - so is the above an ongoing hassle for those FX/10.5 users, or
                are you hypothetically saying it could be? Is there a way for the
                camera to remember what you want settings wise?

                Thanks again ..
              • Jakob Norstedt-Moberg
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
                  On D3, and probably also on the D700, you set "automatic DX cropping
                  off" just once and it will always interpret your 10.5 (and other DX
                  lenses) as fullframe lenses. No problem.

                  Jakob
                  > You may well have to persuade the camera to use the full sensor when
                  > using DX lenses. Isn't that a small issue with the Nikon D3, that a
                  > DX lens will, by default at least, set the camera into a mode that
                  > only uses the innder DX-sized sensor area?
                  >
                  > In which case, shaved or not, you'd be using something with a
                  > resolution and sensor area of around 6MP - similar to a D70.
                  >
                  > This can almost certainly be overridden, but how easy is that, and
                  > does it have to be done every time a DX lens is attached? Or every
                  > time the camera is turned on with a DX lens fitted? I don't mean to
                  > put this down, but these are things that are particularly important
                  > to pano photographers.

                • Jeffrey Martin
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
                    > That's pretty close to what I trim down my d200 x 10.5 to anyhow (I
                    > use 6880 x 3440).

                    it depends on how you crop the source images.

                    e.g. with canon 5d / shaved 10.5, if you use a 194 degree circle the
                    "largest" pano is 6600x3300.

                    if you use a 141 degree circle, the "largest" pano is 7400x3800.

                    so yes your d700 will make panos around 7000x3500 with a 10.5 :-)

                    Jeffrey Martin
                    tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin

                    Re: Nikon D700
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/21035;_ylc=X3oDMTJzNHNnNmI4BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE4MjI3ODQ4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNjQ5NgRtc2dJZAMyMTAzNQRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMjE0OTMyOTYw>
                    Posted
                    by: "eli20sf" epoblitz@...
                    <epoblitz@...?Subject=+Re%3A%20Nikon%20D700> eli20sf
                    <http://profiles.yahoo.com/eli20sf> Tue Jul 1, 2008 9:35 am (PDT) O.K. -