Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: File Format

  • Fulvio Senore
    Message 1 of 97 , Jul 1 9:07 AM
      I did not work at PTViewer after version 2.8: the well-known memory
      limitations of Java made it impossible to use it for full screen panos.
      Now that java is back again I will probably make some enhancement. I
      will have to look at the NG plugin's specifications to see if there is a
      faster way to draw pixels to the screen. It should also be rather simple
      to use two processors if availabe: there are a lot of dual core CPUs
      today, and this should almost double the performance.

      The pano is equirectangular, 5000 x 2500 pixels, courtesy by Toni Garbasso.

      Fulvio

      Ken Warner ha scritto:
      > Fluvio,
      >
      > What is the status of PTViewer? You are managing the 2.8 release
      > right? What are your plans for PTViewer?
      >
      > Also, how big is the pano in Prova5000? Is it equirectangular
      > or cube faces?
      >
      > Fulvio Senore wrote:
      >
      >> I never looked at a Java pano with a Mac, but I am a bit puzzled about
      >> the performance problem.
      >> A lot of people are using Flash viewers, and I cannot believe that a
      >> flash pano could faster than a java one, even on a Mac.
      >> Flash panos are really slow if you want high quality output.
      >>
      >> So I am curious. Here is an old sample of a rather large java pano:
      >> http://www.fsoft.it/panorama/PTViewer/PTVTest/Prova5000.html
      >> May anybody test it with a Mac, just to report if it is fast enough?
      >> I am confident that, on modern computers, the speed could be easily doubled.
      >>
      >> Thanks in advance.
      >>
      >> Fulvio Senore
      >>
      >> Ken Warner ha scritto:
      >>

      >>> More correctly, the issue is Apples implementation of Java
      >>> that denies a seqment of the internet community a viable
      >>> option for certain media presentations.

    • Fulvio Senore
      Message 97 of 97 , Jul 2 1:18 PM
        Many thanks to all those who took the time to test the pano.
        I suppose than now I have some useful info.

        slow loading is caused by the internet connection. Unless java on Mac is
        hopeless, of course.

        At the moment there is no point in having a larger pano, since the
        current implementation of java has not enough memory available to store
        a larger image.

        I hope that I will be able to prepare something in the next months.

        Fulvio Senore