Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: File Format

  • Ken Warner
    Message 1 of 97 , Jul 1 8:54 AM
      Fluvio,

      What is the status of PTViewer? You are managing the 2.8 release
      right? What are your plans for PTViewer?

      Also, how big is the pano in Prova5000? Is it equirectangular
      or cube faces?

      Fulvio Senore wrote:
      > I never looked at a Java pano with a Mac, but I am a bit puzzled about
      > the performance problem.
      > A lot of people are using Flash viewers, and I cannot believe that a
      > flash pano could faster than a java one, even on a Mac.
      > Flash panos are really slow if you want high quality output.
      >
      > So I am curious. Here is an old sample of a rather large java pano:
      > http://www.fsoft.it/panorama/PTViewer/PTVTest/Prova5000.html
      > May anybody test it with a Mac, just to report if it is fast enough?
      > I am confident that, on modern computers, the speed could be easily doubled.
      >
      > Thanks in advance.
      >
      > Fulvio Senore
      >
      > Ken Warner ha scritto:
      >
      >>More correctly, the issue is Apples implementation of Java
      >>that denies a seqment of the internet community a viable
      >>option for certain media presentations.
      >>
      >>Keith Martin wrote:
      >>

      >>>It is true that performance is at least largely Apple's
      >>>responsibility. But remember that the end user doesn't give two hoots
      >>>*who* hasn't made something work smoothly. Or to put it another way,
      >>>the issue is not just Java and also not just the computer. It is Java
      >>>on the computer.
      >>>

      >>------------------------------------

    • Fulvio Senore
      Message 97 of 97 , Jul 2 1:18 PM
        Many thanks to all those who took the time to test the pano.
        I suppose than now I have some useful info.

        slow loading is caused by the internet connection. Unless java on Mac is
        hopeless, of course.

        At the moment there is no point in having a larger pano, since the
        current implementation of java has not enough memory available to store
        a larger image.

        I hope that I will be able to prepare something in the next months.

        Fulvio Senore