Re: Nikon D700

  • eli20sf
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1 8:51 AM
      Very cool,

      I was just following threads talking about the d700 maybe just being a
      hoax or rumor yesterday ... thanks for sharing this, cause I'm thinkng
      about upgrading my d200 ... and somewhere in the back of my head I was
      thinking ... there must be something coming out that would be an
      upgrade (i.e. full sensor - 3k ... I think I'm in :)
    • eli20sf
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1 9:20 AM
        I know it's some where, but can someone tell me what size pano you can
        get with shaved 10.5 and FX sensor?

        Can you create sharp full screen panos?

        Any input would be greatly appreciated :)

        Take care,

        Eli
      • eli20sf
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1 9:35 AM
          O.K. - looks like I found it - 6646 x 3323 (from
          http://www.360precision.com/360/index.cfm?precision=products.d3_n10pt5mm_6_0_fx)

          That's pretty close to what I trim down my d200 x 10.5 to anyhow (I
          use 6880 x 3440).

          O.K. I'll stop talking to myself :)

          But for those who have gone from my set up to the D3/10.5 ... I'd love
          to hear about the transition (the pro's and the con's).

          Thanks again,

          Eli
        • Robert C. Fisher
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 1 9:45 AM
            With my D200 and 10.5 nikkor I get panos with a native size of about
            10,600 px wide. I think PTGui calls it maximum size. I normally use
            6k x 3k for displayed panos. For the D3/D700 full frame sensors the
            max frame size will be a bit less but with less noise.

            On Jul 1, 2008, at 9:35 AM, eli20sf wrote:

            > O.K. - looks like I found it - 6646 x 3323 (from
            > http://www.360precision.com/360/index.cfm?
            > precision=products.d3_n10pt5mm_6_0_fx)
            >
            > That's pretty close to what I trim down my d200 x 10.5 to anyhow (I
            > use 6880 x 3440).
            >
            > O.K. I'll stop talking to myself :)
            >
            > But for those who have gone from my set up to the D3/10.5 ... I'd love
            > to hear about the transition (the pro's and the con's).
            >
            > Thanks again,
            >
            > Eli

            Cheers
            Robert C. Fisher
            VR Photography/Cinematography
          • Sacha Griffin
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 1 9:53 AM
              Roughly on par with a 5d - 10.5 combo

              It's just under 7000x3500

              Convenient and a good match for web publishing.

              Sharp yes, other cameras and lenses sharper of course but more work.

              Sacha Griffin

              Southern Digital Solutions LLC

              http://www.southern-digital.com

              http://www.seeit360.net

              404-551-4275

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 1 10:03 AM
                Hi Sacha,

                Very nice FPP template. I wish I had the xml and flash/action script
                skills to do something similar - great work!

                Eli
              • Keith Martin
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 1 10:13 AM
                  Sometime around 1/7/08 (at 16:20 +0000) eli20sf said:

                  >I know it's some where, but can someone tell me what size pano you can
                  >get with shaved 10.5 and FX sensor?
                  >
                  >Can you create sharp full screen panos?

                  You may well have to persuade the camera to use the full sensor when
                  using DX lenses. Isn't that a small issue with the Nikon D3, that a
                  DX lens will, by default at least, set the camera into a mode that
                  only uses the innder DX-sized sensor area?

                  In which case, shaved or not, you'd be using something with a
                  resolution and sensor area of around 6MP - similar to a D70.

                  This can almost certainly be overridden, but how easy is that, and
                  does it have to be done every time a DX lens is attached? Or every
                  time the camera is turned on with a DX lens fitted? I don't mean to
                  put this down, but these are things that are particularly important
                  to pano photographers.

                • eli20sf
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 1 10:27 AM

                    > Sometime around 1/7/08 (at 16:20 +0000) eli20sf said:
                    >
                    > >I know it's some where, but can someone tell me what size pano you can
                    > >get with shaved 10.5 and FX sensor?
                    > >
                    > >Can you create sharp full screen panos?
                    >
                    > You may well have to persuade the camera to use the full sensor when
                    > using DX lenses. Isn't that a small issue with the Nikon D3, that a
                    > DX lens will, by default at least, set the camera into a mode that
                    > only uses the innder DX-sized sensor area?
                    >
                    > In which case, shaved or not, you'd be using something with a
                    > resolution and sensor area of around 6MP - similar to a D70.
                    >
                    > This can almost certainly be overridden, but how easy is that, and
                    > does it have to be done every time a DX lens is attached? Or every
                    > time the camera is turned on with a DX lens fitted? I don't mean to
                    > put this down, but these are things that are particularly important
                    > to pano photographers.

                    THanks - so is the above an ongoing hassle for those FX/10.5 users, or
                    are you hypothetically saying it could be? Is there a way for the
                    camera to remember what you want settings wise?

                    Thanks again ..
                  • Jakob Norstedt-Moberg
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 1 10:30 AM
                      On D3, and probably also on the D700, you set "automatic DX cropping
                      off" just once and it will always interpret your 10.5 (and other DX
                      lenses) as fullframe lenses. No problem.

                      Jakob
                      > You may well have to persuade the camera to use the full sensor when
                      > using DX lenses. Isn't that a small issue with the Nikon D3, that a
                      > DX lens will, by default at least, set the camera into a mode that
                      > only uses the innder DX-sized sensor area?
                      >
                      > In which case, shaved or not, you'd be using something with a
                      > resolution and sensor area of around 6MP - similar to a D70.
                      >
                      > This can almost certainly be overridden, but how easy is that, and
                      > does it have to be done every time a DX lens is attached? Or every
                      > time the camera is turned on with a DX lens fitted? I don't mean to
                      > put this down, but these are things that are particularly important
                      > to pano photographers.

                    • Jeffrey Martin
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 1 10:39 AM
                        > That's pretty close to what I trim down my d200 x 10.5 to anyhow (I
                        > use 6880 x 3440).

                        it depends on how you crop the source images.

                        e.g. with canon 5d / shaved 10.5, if you use a 194 degree circle the
                        "largest" pano is 6600x3300.

                        if you use a 141 degree circle, the "largest" pano is 7400x3800.

                        so yes your d700 will make panos around 7000x3500 with a 10.5 :-)

                        Jeffrey Martin
                        tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin

                        Re: Nikon D700
                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/21035;_ylc=X3oDMTJzNHNnNmI4BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE4MjI3ODQ4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNjQ5NgRtc2dJZAMyMTAzNQRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMjE0OTMyOTYw>
                        Posted
                        by: "eli20sf" epoblitz@...
                        <epoblitz@...?Subject=+Re%3A%20Nikon%20D700> eli20sf
                        <http://profiles.yahoo.com/eli20sf> Tue Jul 1, 2008 9:35 am (PDT) O.K. -