Re: Glastonbury panorama

  • sphereworks
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2008
      Looks great !! Did you have any problems taking photos there or did
      you have a pass? On TV you could see people in the crouds with big
      lenses.

      Pete
      www.sphereworks.co.uk

      > Last weekend was tiring but worth it. Here's the first pano, taken of
      > the Arcadia DJ stage/tower in the Trash City area:
      >
      > http://www.panoramaphotographer.com/glastonbury/arcadia/
      >
      > I'll post more when I can get things put together.

    • Keith Martin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2008
        Sometime around 1/7/08 (at 13:55 +0000) sphereworks said:

        >Looks great !! Did you have any problems taking photos there or did
        >you have a pass?

        I had crew passes (and crew camping :-) organised for me and my wife
        by the designers/builders of that Arcadia construction, specifically
        so I could get a few panoramas of their stuff.

        That was to help make sure I had no hassles camping nearby and
        getting access to restricted parts of the Arcadia stage, but it
        helped in other areas too. Not that I pushed my luck getting into
        places like I would have done if I'd been there on my own!

        However, apart from actual restricted area access I don't think
        anyone would have said anything at all about any still camera
        equipment at all. Large pro-level video cameras would have probably
        needed preorganised passes, but quite possibly only in the bigger
        areas - where big-name bands would get touchy about bootlegging, for
        example. It really did feel like very 'light touch' management within
        the festival.

        (Too light at some points. For example, when many thousands of people
        leaving the Amy Winehouse set collided with many thousands of people
        going to see Jay-Z on the same stage, everyone got stuck in a long
        road-width stretch in one of the tightest-packed crowd jams I've ever
        seen. It was actually bordering on seriously dangerous - and yet I
        saw *no* staff at any point around that area. No crowd management,
        nothing. *That* was bad high-level forecasting and planning
        compounded by bad ground-level festival management.)

      • Bruno Postle
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2008
          On Tue 01-Jul-2008 at 15:32 +0100, Keith Martin wrote:

          >(Too light at some points. For example, when many thousands of people
          >leaving the Amy Winehouse set collided with many thousands of people
          >going to see Jay-Z on the same stage, everyone got stuck in a long
          >road-width stretch in one of the tightest-packed crowd jams I've ever
          >seen.

          Glastonbury is notoriously bad for crowd circulation, the problem is
          that the central 'backstage' area has grown over the years to the
          size of a small town - it has its own bars, venues, restaurants and
          camping. The wall around this 'festival within a festival' is over
          a mile long and all the rest of the festival-goers have to shuffle
          around it to get anywhere.

          --
          Bruno