Glastonbury panorama

  • Keith Martin
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2008
      Last weekend was tiring but worth it. Here's the first pano, taken of
      the Arcadia DJ stage/tower in the Trash City area:

      http://www.panoramaphotographer.com/glastonbury/arcadia/

      I'll post more when I can get things put together.

    • sphereworks
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2008
        Looks great !! Did you have any problems taking photos there or did
        you have a pass? On TV you could see people in the crouds with big
        lenses.

        Pete
        www.sphereworks.co.uk

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2008
          Sometime around 1/7/08 (at 13:55 +0000) sphereworks said:

          >Looks great !! Did you have any problems taking photos there or did
          >you have a pass?

          I had crew passes (and crew camping :-) organised for me and my wife
          by the designers/builders of that Arcadia construction, specifically
          so I could get a few panoramas of their stuff.

          That was to help make sure I had no hassles camping nearby and
          getting access to restricted parts of the Arcadia stage, but it
          helped in other areas too. Not that I pushed my luck getting into
          places like I would have done if I'd been there on my own!

          However, apart from actual restricted area access I don't think
          anyone would have said anything at all about any still camera
          equipment at all. Large pro-level video cameras would have probably
          needed preorganised passes, but quite possibly only in the bigger
          areas - where big-name bands would get touchy about bootlegging, for
          example. It really did feel like very 'light touch' management within
          the festival.

          (Too light at some points. For example, when many thousands of people
          leaving the Amy Winehouse set collided with many thousands of people
          going to see Jay-Z on the same stage, everyone got stuck in a long
          road-width stretch in one of the tightest-packed crowd jams I've ever
          seen. It was actually bordering on seriously dangerous - and yet I
          saw *no* staff at any point around that area. No crowd management,
          nothing. *That* was bad high-level forecasting and planning
          compounded by bad ground-level festival management.)

        • Bruno Postle
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1, 2008
            On Tue 01-Jul-2008 at 15:32 +0100, Keith Martin wrote:

            >(Too light at some points. For example, when many thousands of people
            >leaving the Amy Winehouse set collided with many thousands of people
            >going to see Jay-Z on the same stage, everyone got stuck in a long
            >road-width stretch in one of the tightest-packed crowd jams I've ever
            >seen.

            Glastonbury is notoriously bad for crowd circulation, the problem is
            that the central 'backstage' area has grown over the years to the
            size of a small town - it has its own bars, venues, restaurants and
            camping. The wall around this 'festival within a festival' is over
            a mile long and all the rest of the festival-goers have to shuffle
            around it to get anywhere.

            --
            Bruno