Re: Pano kit bags, a mini report

  • sphereworks
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008
      I use a Lowepro Photo Trecker AW 11, is big but I can get all the
      stuff in it that I want with me.

      http://www.sphereworks.co.uk/DSCN0445.jpg
      http://www.sphereworks.co.uk/DSCN0444.jpg

      Sometimes I use a Lowepro Omni pro which is a little smaller. My
      business partner uses a Lowepro Compu Trekker AW which I think is
      ideal, might get one myself someday.

      Pete
      www.sphereworks.co.uk

> [...]
      > way to carry my pano kit around. My basic, ageing shoulderbag (more
      > of a small padded bucket) was no good at all when faced with more
      > than a single camera and small accessory, and I wanted to be able
      > carry around a pano head, two dSLRs and sometimes my flash and
      > diffuser. It needed to be essentially hands-free, and certainly not
      > make me look like I'm waiting for a bellhop to fetch my bags OR
      look
      > too much like I'm carrying expensive kit.
      >
      > It has been a challenging task, but I think I've found something
      > fairly good. Here are the three main ones I've tried in the last
      > couple of years, the final one being the most recent. I'd be
      > interested to hear how others carry their kit. I'm sure I'll be
      > envious of the monopod/pole crowd's lightweight solutions. :-)
      >

      > --
      >
      > Bag 1: Lowepro Mini Trekker AW
      >
      > Reasonably well balanced, although the shoulder straps aren't the
      > most comfortable. Also, while it is quite normal construction, I'm
      > not a fan of how they're attached at the top.
      >
      > It has enough space inside for my kit, although as usual I have to
      > reconfigure the dividers to non-standard positions to get things
      > fitted in place.
      >
      > I can strap my tripod to the outside using the fold-down pocket and
      > straps, but then I have to be careful not to hurt innocent
      bystanders
      > when I turn around.
      >
      > Would I buy it again?
      > No, although it does the basic job competently.
      >

      > --
      >
      > Bag 2: Crumpler, "Brian's Hot Tub" model
      >
      > Given to me by a friend, this is amusingly large but quite
      > comfortable to wear. With some divider-juggling there's space
      inside
      > for both cameras (one with a long zoom), the pano head, flash,
      > diffuser, another lens, card reader, my laptop, and its power
      supply.
      > Plus a few other bits if necessary.
      >
      > When not carrying the laptop I can even slip the tripod partly
      inside
      > the back section.
      >
      > The straps are very well designed and feel like they'll never, ever
      > even consider failing.
      >
      > Downsides? Picking it up when fully loaded can be tough, and,
      despite
      > the very well designed straps, carrying it is a workout. Also, it
      is
      > large enough to make me look a bit like a backpacker tourist.
      >
      > Would I buy it again?
      > Actually it was a gift - but perhaps. It is good for travelling
      with
      > laptop and camera kit together. It holds all my delicate kit and
      has
      > always been accepted as airline carry-on baggage so far. But I
      > wouldn't get it for regular camera bag use.
      >

      > --
      >
      > Bag 3: Lowepro Slingshot 200AW
      >
      > I desperately needed something better for last weekend's
      Glastonbury
      > Festival. I was going to be walking around with my wife and
      enjoying
      > the event, so a hulking great bag was not a good option. This was
      > small but seemed to have *just* enough space...
      >
      > It is a single-strap backpack design, sitting upright on the back
      > with the strap crossing from the right shoulder diagonally across
      the
      > chest. The user swivels it around to gain access to the
      > then-horizontal bag from the front, without taking it off - and
      yes,
      > this works pretty well in reality as well as in marketing material.
      >
      > The top section is small, but it holds the S5Pro body fitted with
      > 10.5mm lens, plus the cable release. The main section, accessed by
      > swivelling the bag around to my front, can be configured (sorta)
      with
      > the velcro dividers to hold my D70 with zoom, my pano head, and if
      > necessary another smallish lens. A front pocket holds my flash.
      >
      > I threaded my flash diffuser (Gary Phong Lightsphere) onto the main
      > strap, with the diffuser cap slipped into a cranny in the main
      area.
      > With all this in place there's no spare room whatsoever, but it all
      > fits. And it is actually pretty compact.
      >
      > After a tiring but highly enjoyable weekend at the festival I'm
      very
      > glad I got the Slingshot. I wore it *all* the time that I wasn't in
      > the campervan, even when dancing at the Glade stage or the
      > early-morning Trash City area.
      >
      > It isn't the ultimate perfect solution; for one thing, I carried
      the
      > tripod with me. (I must dig out the sling bag that came with it!)
      But
      > it is actually good, and it made it possible for me to have my pano
      > kit and my regular camera kit with me, without being large and
      > physically awkward or - even more importantly - annoying my wife.
      >
      > Would I buy it again?
      > I've only had it a week, but yes, this is useful and just about the
      > right size, if I always fit things in properly.
      >
      > --
      >
      > Anyway, I hope that's of some interest to someone. What bag or bags
      > do *you* use when out and about with your pano kit?

    • Jeffrey Martin
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008
        I second "Brian's Hot Tub" made by Crumpler.

        Fantastic. Although i do want a smaller bag (like a fanny pack) (what do
        brits call fanny packs? :-)

        anything made by crumpler seems to be just great design and quality. highly
        recommend :)

        Jeffrey Martin
        tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin

        Pano kit bags, a mini report
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/21018;_ylc=X3oDMTJzNDhsMnAxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE4MjI3ODQ4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNjQ5NgRtc2dJZAMyMTAxOARzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMjE0OTMyOTYw>
        Posted
        by: "Keith Martin" keith@...
        <keith@...?Subject=+Re%3APano%20kit%20bags%2C%20a%20mini%20report>
        the1keith
        <http://profiles.yahoo.com/the1keith> Tue Jul 1, 2008 5:14 am (PDT)

      • Keith Martin
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008
          Sometime around 1/7/08 (at 19:31 +0200) Jeffrey Martin said:

          >(what do brits call fanny packs? :-)

          Heh. You'll laugh as much as the English do at 'fanny packs'. Over
          here they're normally called bum bags. I kid you not.

        • Brian Thomas
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2, 2008
            "Fantastic. Although i do want a smaller bag (like a fanny pack) (what do
            brits call fanny packs? :-)"

            Bum Bags.

            Brian.

            _____

            I second "Brian's Hot Tub" made by Crumpler.

            Fantastic. Although i do want a smaller bag (like a fanny pack) (what do
            brits call fanny packs? :-)

            anything made by crumpler seems to be just great design and quality. highly
            recommend :)

            Jeffrey Martin
            tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin

            Pano kit bags, a mini report
            <http://groups.
            AxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE4MjI3ODQ4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNjQ5NgRtc2dJZAMyMT
            AxOARzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMjE0OTMyOTYw>
            yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/21018;_ylc=X3oDMTJzNDhsMnAxBF9TAzk3MzU5N
            zE1BGdycElkAzE4MjI3ODQ4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNjQ5NgRtc2dJZAMyMTAxOARzZWMDZG1zZ
            wRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMjE0OTMyOTYw>
            Posted
            by: "Keith Martin" keith@vortex. <mailto:keith%40vortex.co.uk> co.uk
            <keith@vortex. <mailto:keith%40vortex.co.uk>
            co.uk?Subject=+Re%3APano%20kit%20bags%2C%20a%20mini%20report>
            the1keith
            <http://profiles. <http://profiles.yahoo.com/the1keith> yahoo.com/the1keith>
            Tue Jul 1, 2008 5:14 am (PDT)

            Checked by AVG.
            18:07

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 2, 2008
              Keith Martin-2 wrote:

              > It needed to be essentially hands-free, and certainly not
              > make me look like I'm waiting for a bellhop to fetch my bags OR look
              > too much like I'm carrying expensive kit.

              Long time ago I came across a page where someone recommended an insulated
              lunch box ("cooler") or a baby diapers bag (where you could put your lenses
              in the milk bottle holder). No one would steal a bag with presumably used
              baby diapers ;-)

              No, I don't use any of these (although I must admit that I liked the time
              when my boys where babies and I could put all my equipment into the baby
              carriage. http://erik-krause.de/bilder/alpen/alpen.htm probably never would
              have been shot if I hadn't the carriage with me...)

              best regards

              -----
            • Roger Berry
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 2, 2008
                Here's a photo showing how my pano head fits inside the camera bag
                along with some spare batteries and other things. Yeah it's small,
                lightweight and very easy to use.

                http://CamelPhotos.com/pic/panohead5.jpg

                Roger Berry

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Erik Krause <erik.krause@...>