Pano kit bags, a mini report

  • Keith Martin
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008
      I've been trying different bags for a while now, looking for the best
      way to carry my pano kit around. My basic, ageing shoulderbag (more
      of a small padded bucket) was no good at all when faced with more
      than a single camera and small accessory, and I wanted to be able to
      carry around a pano head, two dSLRs and sometimes my flash and
      diffuser. It needed to be essentially hands-free, and certainly not
      make me look like I'm waiting for a bellhop to fetch my bags OR look
      too much like I'm carrying expensive kit.

      It has been a challenging task, but I think I've found something
      fairly good. Here are the three main ones I've tried in the last
      couple of years, the final one being the most recent. I'd be
      interested to hear how others carry their kit. I'm sure I'll be
      envious of the monopod/pole crowd's lightweight solutions. :-)

      --

      Bag 1: Lowepro Mini Trekker AW

      Reasonably well balanced, although the shoulder straps aren't the
      most comfortable. Also, while it is quite normal construction, I'm
      not a fan of how they're attached at the top.

      It has enough space inside for my kit, although as usual I have to
      reconfigure the dividers to non-standard positions to get things
      fitted in place.

      I can strap my tripod to the outside using the fold-down pocket and
      straps, but then I have to be careful not to hurt innocent bystanders
      when I turn around.

      Would I buy it again?
      No, although it does the basic job competently.

      --

      Bag 2: Crumpler, "Brian's Hot Tub" model

      Given to me by a friend, this is amusingly large but quite
      comfortable to wear. With some divider-juggling there's space inside
      for both cameras (one with a long zoom), the pano head, flash,
      diffuser, another lens, card reader, my laptop, and its power supply.
      Plus a few other bits if necessary.

      When not carrying the laptop I can even slip the tripod partly inside
      the back section.

      The straps are very well designed and feel like they'll never, ever
      even consider failing.

      Downsides? Picking it up when fully loaded can be tough, and, despite
      the very well designed straps, carrying it is a workout. Also, it is
      large enough to make me look a bit like a backpacker tourist.

      Would I buy it again?
      Actually it was a gift - but perhaps. It is good for travelling with
      laptop and camera kit together. It holds all my delicate kit and has
      always been accepted as airline carry-on baggage so far. But I
      wouldn't get it for regular camera bag use.

      --

      Bag 3: Lowepro Slingshot 200AW

      I desperately needed something better for last weekend's Glastonbury
      Festival. I was going to be walking around with my wife and enjoying
      the event, so a hulking great bag was not a good option. This was
      small but seemed to have *just* enough space...

      It is a single-strap backpack design, sitting upright on the back
      with the strap crossing from the right shoulder diagonally across the
      chest. The user swivels it around to gain access to the
      then-horizontal bag from the front, without taking it off - and yes,
      this works pretty well in reality as well as in marketing material.

      The top section is small, but it holds the S5Pro body fitted with
      10.5mm lens, plus the cable release. The main section, accessed by
      swivelling the bag around to my front, can be configured (sorta) with
      the velcro dividers to hold my D70 with zoom, my pano head, and if
      necessary another smallish lens. A front pocket holds my flash.

      I threaded my flash diffuser (Gary Phong Lightsphere) onto the main
      strap, with the diffuser cap slipped into a cranny in the main area.
      With all this in place there's no spare room whatsoever, but it all
      fits. And it is actually pretty compact.

      After a tiring but highly enjoyable weekend at the festival I'm very
      glad I got the Slingshot. I wore it *all* the time that I wasn't in
      the campervan, even when dancing at the Glade stage or the
      early-morning Trash City area.

      It isn't the ultimate perfect solution; for one thing, I carried the
      tripod with me. (I must dig out the sling bag that came with it!) But
      it is actually good, and it made it possible for me to have my pano
      kit and my regular camera kit with me, without being large and
      physically awkward or - even more importantly - annoying my wife.

      Would I buy it again?
      I've only had it a week, but yes, this is useful and just about the
      right size, if I always fit things in properly.

      --

      Anyway, I hope that's of some interest to someone. What bag or bags
      do *you* use when out and about with your pano kit?

    • sphereworks
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008
        I use a Lowepro Photo Trecker AW 11, is big but I can get all the
        stuff in it that I want with me.

        http://www.sphereworks.co.uk/DSCN0445.jpg
        http://www.sphereworks.co.uk/DSCN0444.jpg

        Sometimes I use a Lowepro Omni pro which is a little smaller. My
        business partner uses a Lowepro Compu Trekker AW which I think is
        ideal, might get one myself someday.

        Pete
        www.sphereworks.co.uk

> [...]
        > glad I got the Slingshot. I wore it *all* the time that I wasn't in
        > the campervan, even when dancing at the Glade stage or the
        > early-morning Trash City area.
        >
        > It isn't the ultimate perfect solution; for one thing, I carried
        the
        > tripod with me. (I must dig out the sling bag that came with it!)
        But
        > it is actually good, and it made it possible for me to have my pano
        > kit and my regular camera kit with me, without being large and
        > physically awkward or - even more importantly - annoying my wife.
        >
        > Would I buy it again?
        > I've only had it a week, but yes, this is useful and just about the
        > right size, if I always fit things in properly.
        >
        > --
        >
        > Anyway, I hope that's of some interest to someone. What bag or bags
        > do *you* use when out and about with your pano kit?

      • Jeffrey Martin
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008
          I second "Brian's Hot Tub" made by Crumpler.

          Fantastic. Although i do want a smaller bag (like a fanny pack) (what do
          brits call fanny packs? :-)

          anything made by crumpler seems to be just great design and quality. highly
          recommend :)

          Jeffrey Martin
          tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin

          Pano kit bags, a mini report
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/21018;_ylc=X3oDMTJzNDhsMnAxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE4MjI3ODQ4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNjQ5NgRtc2dJZAMyMTAxOARzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMjE0OTMyOTYw>
          Posted
          by: "Keith Martin" keith@...
          <keith@...?Subject=+Re%3APano%20kit%20bags%2C%20a%20mini%20report>
          the1keith
          <http://profiles.yahoo.com/the1keith> Tue Jul 1, 2008 5:14 am (PDT)

        • Keith Martin
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008
            Sometime around 1/7/08 (at 19:31 +0200) Jeffrey Martin said:

            >(what do brits call fanny packs? :-)

            Heh. You'll laugh as much as the English do at 'fanny packs'. Over
            here they're normally called bum bags. I kid you not.

          • Brian Thomas
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 2, 2008
              "Fantastic. Although i do want a smaller bag (like a fanny pack) (what do
              brits call fanny packs? :-)"

              Bum Bags.

              Brian.

              _____

              I second "Brian's Hot Tub" made by Crumpler.

              Fantastic. Although i do want a smaller bag (like a fanny pack) (what do
              brits call fanny packs? :-)

              anything made by crumpler seems to be just great design and quality. highly
              recommend :)

              Jeffrey Martin
              tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin

              Pano kit bags, a mini report
              <http://groups.
              AxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE4MjI3ODQ4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNjQ5NgRtc2dJZAMyMT
              AxOARzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMjE0OTMyOTYw>
              yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/21018;_ylc=X3oDMTJzNDhsMnAxBF9TAzk3MzU5N
              zE1BGdycElkAzE4MjI3ODQ4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNjQ5NgRtc2dJZAMyMTAxOARzZWMDZG1zZ
              wRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMjE0OTMyOTYw>
              Posted
              by: "Keith Martin" keith@vortex. <mailto:keith%40vortex.co.uk> co.uk
              <keith@vortex. <mailto:keith%40vortex.co.uk>
              co.uk?Subject=+Re%3APano%20kit%20bags%2C%20a%20mini%20report>
              the1keith
              <http://profiles. <http://profiles.yahoo.com/the1keith> yahoo.com/the1keith>
              Tue Jul 1, 2008 5:14 am (PDT)

              Checked by AVG.
              18:07

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 2, 2008
                Keith Martin-2 wrote:

                > It needed to be essentially hands-free, and certainly not
                > make me look like I'm waiting for a bellhop to fetch my bags OR look
                > too much like I'm carrying expensive kit.

                Long time ago I came across a page where someone recommended an insulated
                lunch box ("cooler") or a baby diapers bag (where you could put your lenses
                in the milk bottle holder). No one would steal a bag with presumably used
                baby diapers ;-)

                No, I don't use any of these (although I must admit that I liked the time
                when my boys where babies and I could put all my equipment into the baby
                carriage. http://erik-krause.de/bilder/alpen/alpen.htm probably never would
                have been shot if I hadn't the carriage with me...)

                best regards

                -----
              • Roger Berry
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 2, 2008
                  Here's a photo showing how my pano head fits inside the camera bag
                  along with some spare batteries and other things. Yeah it's small,
                  lightweight and very easy to use.

                  http://CamelPhotos.com/pic/panohead5.jpg

                  Roger Berry

                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Erik Krause <erik.krause@...>