Nikon D700

  • Keith Martin
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
    • eli20sf
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
        Very cool,

        I was just following threads talking about the d700 maybe just being a
        hoax or rumor yesterday ... thanks for sharing this, cause I'm thinkng
        about upgrading my d200 ... and somewhere in the back of my head I was
        thinking ... there must be something coming out that would be an
        upgrade (i.e. full sensor - 3k ... I think I'm in :)
      • eli20sf
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
          I know it's some where, but can someone tell me what size pano you can
          get with shaved 10.5 and FX sensor?

          Can you create sharp full screen panos?

          Any input would be greatly appreciated :)

          Take care,

          Eli
        • eli20sf
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
            O.K. - looks like I found it - 6646 x 3323 (from
            http://www.360precision.com/360/index.cfm?precision=products.d3_n10pt5mm_6_0_fx)

            That's pretty close to what I trim down my d200 x 10.5 to anyhow (I
            use 6880 x 3440).

            O.K. I'll stop talking to myself :)

            But for those who have gone from my set up to the D3/10.5 ... I'd love
            to hear about the transition (the pro's and the con's).

            Thanks again,

            Eli
          • Robert C. Fisher
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
              With my D200 and 10.5 nikkor I get panos with a native size of about
              10,600 px wide. I think PTGui calls it maximum size. I normally use
              6k x 3k for displayed panos. For the D3/D700 full frame sensors the
              max frame size will be a bit less but with less noise.

              On Jul 1, 2008, at 9:35 AM, eli20sf wrote:

              > O.K. - looks like I found it - 6646 x 3323 (from
              > http://www.360precision.com/360/index.cfm?
              > precision=products.d3_n10pt5mm_6_0_fx)
              >
              > That's pretty close to what I trim down my d200 x 10.5 to anyhow (I
              > use 6880 x 3440).
              >
              > O.K. I'll stop talking to myself :)
              >
              > But for those who have gone from my set up to the D3/10.5 ... I'd love
              > to hear about the transition (the pro's and the con's).
              >
              > Thanks again,
              >
              > Eli

              Cheers
              Robert C. Fisher
              VR Photography/Cinematography
            • Sacha Griffin
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
                Roughly on par with a 5d - 10.5 combo

                It's just under 7000x3500

                Convenient and a good match for web publishing.

                Sharp yes, other cameras and lenses sharper of course but more work.

                Sacha Griffin

                Southern Digital Solutions LLC

                http://www.southern-digital.com

                http://www.seeit360.net

                404-551-4275

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
                  Hi Sacha,

                  Very nice FPP template. I wish I had the xml and flash/action script
                  skills to do something similar - great work!

                  Eli
                • Keith Martin
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
                    Sometime around 1/7/08 (at 16:20 +0000) eli20sf said:

                    >I know it's some where, but can someone tell me what size pano you can
                    >get with shaved 10.5 and FX sensor?
                    >
                    >Can you create sharp full screen panos?

                    You may well have to persuade the camera to use the full sensor when
                    using DX lenses. Isn't that a small issue with the Nikon D3, that a
                    DX lens will, by default at least, set the camera into a mode that
                    only uses the innder DX-sized sensor area?

                    In which case, shaved or not, you'd be using something with a
                    resolution and sensor area of around 6MP - similar to a D70.

                    This can almost certainly be overridden, but how easy is that, and
                    does it have to be done every time a DX lens is attached? Or every
                    time the camera is turned on with a DX lens fitted? I don't mean to
                    put this down, but these are things that are particularly important
                    to pano photographers.

                  • eli20sf
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008

                      > Sometime around 1/7/08 (at 16:20 +0000) eli20sf said:
                      >
                      > >I know it's some where, but can someone tell me what size pano you can
                      > >get with shaved 10.5 and FX sensor?
                      > >
                      > >Can you create sharp full screen panos?
                      >
                      > You may well have to persuade the camera to use the full sensor when
                      > using DX lenses. Isn't that a small issue with the Nikon D3, that a
                      > DX lens will, by default at least, set the camera into a mode that
                      > only uses the innder DX-sized sensor area?
                      >
                      > In which case, shaved or not, you'd be using something with a
                      > resolution and sensor area of around 6MP - similar to a D70.
                      >
                      > This can almost certainly be overridden, but how easy is that, and
                      > does it have to be done every time a DX lens is attached? Or every
                      > time the camera is turned on with a DX lens fitted? I don't mean to
                      > put this down, but these are things that are particularly important
                      > to pano photographers.

                      THanks - so is the above an ongoing hassle for those FX/10.5 users, or
                      are you hypothetically saying it could be? Is there a way for the
                      camera to remember what you want settings wise?

                      Thanks again ..
                    • Jakob Norstedt-Moberg
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
                        On D3, and probably also on the D700, you set "automatic DX cropping
                        off" just once and it will always interpret your 10.5 (and other DX
                        lenses) as fullframe lenses. No problem.

                        Jakob
                        > You may well have to persuade the camera to use the full sensor when
                        > using DX lenses. Isn't that a small issue with the Nikon D3, that a
                        > DX lens will, by default at least, set the camera into a mode that
                        > only uses the innder DX-sized sensor area?
                        >
                        > In which case, shaved or not, you'd be using something with a
                        > resolution and sensor area of around 6MP - similar to a D70.
                        >
                        > This can almost certainly be overridden, but how easy is that, and
                        > does it have to be done every time a DX lens is attached? Or every
                        > time the camera is turned on with a DX lens fitted? I don't mean to
                        > put this down, but these are things that are particularly important
                        > to pano photographers.

                      • Jeffrey Martin
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
                          > That's pretty close to what I trim down my d200 x 10.5 to anyhow (I
                          > use 6880 x 3440).

                          it depends on how you crop the source images.

                          e.g. with canon 5d / shaved 10.5, if you use a 194 degree circle the
                          "largest" pano is 6600x3300.

                          if you use a 141 degree circle, the "largest" pano is 7400x3800.

                          so yes your d700 will make panos around 7000x3500 with a 10.5 :-)

                          Jeffrey Martin
                          tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin

                          Re: Nikon D700
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/21035;_ylc=X3oDMTJzNHNnNmI4BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE4MjI3ODQ4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNjQ5NgRtc2dJZAMyMTAzNQRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMjE0OTMyOTYw>
                          Posted
                          by: "eli20sf" epoblitz@...
                          <epoblitz@...?Subject=+Re%3A%20Nikon%20D700> eli20sf
                          <http://profiles.yahoo.com/eli20sf> Tue Jul 1, 2008 9:35 am (PDT) O.K. -