Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: File Format-

  • Kathy Wheeler
    Message 1 of 97 , Jun 29, 2008
      On 30/06/2008, at 10:57 AM, AYRTON wrote:
      > On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 5:20 PM, 360 Precision
      > <matthew@...>
      > wrote:
      >> The problem is Java just sucks on anything platform other than
      >> Windows. The only plug-in/tech I've ever had issues with on OS X is
      >> Java and the Java plug-in. My powerbook still won't display ANY Java
      >> applets regardless of 3 fresh installs and no one can find any
      >> issues.
      >

      > Same with me
      > My PB G4 also does note show java
      > and
      > my powermac G4 doesn't too

      Can't pass judgement on windows as I don't run it any more (apart
      from VirtualPC), but Java has been getting worse not better since
      microsoft stuffed about with it and their "run better on
      windows" (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) "improvements". It was known back
      then that they deliberately try to erode the WORA concept behind the
      Java theory to boost their own market share by making others look bad
      in the guise of making theirs look better :(

      What I can also say is that on both Linux and OS X most Java apps
      I've tried max out the processor(s), hog memory and thrash the hard
      disk like nobodies business.

      I can view Java applets on my G4 PB, but I prefer not to. Partly for
      the reasons stated above, and partly as they "feel" sluggish and
      unresponsive one minute, then run away on you the next.

      I used to be very excited about the promise of Java, but it's lost a
      lot of it's shine. So much so I haven't let my G4 PB update it's Java
      for yonks ...

      Ayrton/Matthew, if you have specific URL's that don't work for you,
      can you post them please? It may be interesting to note behaviour
      against Java update version and browser?

      Cheers,
      KathyW.
    • Fulvio Senore
      Message 97 of 97 , Jul 2 1:18 PM
        Many thanks to all those who took the time to test the pano.
        I suppose than now I have some useful info.

        slow loading is caused by the internet connection. Unless java on Mac is
        hopeless, of course.

        At the moment there is no point in having a larger pano, since the
        current implementation of java has not enough memory available to store
        a larger image.

        I hope that I will be able to prepare something in the next months.

        Fulvio Senore