Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: File Format-

  • AYRTON
    Message 1 of 97 , Jun 29, 2008
      On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 5:20 PM, 360 Precision <matthew@...>
      wrote:

      > The problem is Java just sucks on anything platform other than
      > Windows. The only plug-in/tech I've ever had issues with on OS X is
      > Java and the Java plug-in. My powerbook still won't display ANY Java
      > applets regardless of 3 fresh installs and no one can find any issues.

      Same with me
      My PB G4 also does note show java
      and
      my powermac G4 doesn't too

      I only get to see java in my intel-mac
      :-(

      AYRTON

      > Not only that, in the 10 years I shoot and produced panos again the
      > only reported problems to customers and clients were regarding Java.
      > People comment that QuickTime is dead well Java I feel is well and
      > truly buried.
      >
      > And like you said, Sun as a company has fallen to the wayside and I
      > don't see them coming back anytime soon.
      >
      > Matt
      >
      > On 27 Jun 2008, at 20:47, Ken Warner wrote:
      >
      > > The lack of interest in improving web published images is mystifying
      > > to me.
      > > All the technology and hardware is here now and yet viewing images
      > > on the
      > > web is not much changed from 10-15 years ago.
      > >
      > > I keep telling anyone at SUN who will listen to me that there is a
      > > big opportunity for Java to become the universal image viewing plugin
      > > if they would only include the decoders for JPEG2000 and other more
      > > capable image formats in the JRE.
      > >
      > > They could even provide qnomic and cylindrical projection in native
      > > code that could blow away QT and Flash.
      > >
      > > Their response is the mystifying, "...aint gonna happen soon..."!!!!
      > >
      > > The Java Dev Team couldn't even get it together to support MP3 -- the
      > > most used file format in the universe.
      > >
      > > I just don't get it.
      > >
      > > Helmut Dersch wrote:
      > > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...>

      > > > The standard allows larger color depths, ROIs and larger than
      > > 64kx64k
      > > > images, all features which are very interesting to panorama
      > > people. I
      > > > suspect that few encoders and decoders support all these options.
      > > >
      > > > The "old" JPEG standard also allowed larger color depths. E.g.
      > > libjpeg
      > > > (from the Independent JPEG Group) can be compiled with 12bit instead
      > > > of 8bit depth, and you can then encode and decode using this format.
      > > > Unfortunately, there will be few people who will be able to view
      > > your
      > > > panoramas, unless you provide a custom viewer with this special
      > > > version of libjpeg. There are more features in the standard, which
      > > > many viewers don't understand (lossless jpeg, etc).
      > > >
      > > > Helmut Dersch

      ------------
      | A Y R |
      | T O N |
      ------------

      + 55 21 9982 6313

      http://ayrton360.com
      http://rio.360cities.net
      http://vrfolio.com
      http://ayrton.com

    • Fulvio Senore
      Message 97 of 97 , Jul 2, 2008
        Many thanks to all those who took the time to test the pano.
        I suppose than now I have some useful info.

        slow loading is caused by the internet connection. Unless java on Mac is
        hopeless, of course.

        At the moment there is no point in having a larger pano, since the
        current implementation of java has not enough memory available to store
        a larger image.

        I hope that I will be able to prepare something in the next months.

        Fulvio Senore