Re: new forum set up

  • yuval_levy
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 10, 2006
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, de gava <wblakesx@...> wrote:
      > For a start it would be nice to set up a faq, list of...

      Anything else?

      For a start, it would be nice if you would introduce yourself. I had a
      pleasure, like the other moderators, to read that you "did some pano
      work 6 years ago, I want to develope 'vr' skills. ". I searched for
      "de gava" and for your email address and came across nothing vr but
      the June 12 yahoo mail worm that infected so many YahooGroups. I don't
      even know if "de gava" is your real name. From Google I found out that
      you are probably in Miami and you might have written an article about
      voting machines fraud. Hot weather, eh dude?

      You will find an FAQ at <http://ptfaq.org/> - and there are other
      community ressources which at the moment are... uhum... still hijacked
      and hence I will not link them here. I am sure you can operate
      google.com, right? and maybe structure your findings as an FAQ or a
      list of links and share them with us?

      Maybe I was not clear when I wrote the welcome message to this list -
      specifically what is on topic and what is not. I've added a second
      bullet to that message under "off topic". There is another list that
      deals with how we want to organize ourself. Feel free to read it and
      make yourself aquainted with the little insignificant problems that
      this community is currently dealing with. Then make whatever
      proposition seems sensible to you. I suspect that for the time being
      you will not find many volunteers for your plans, but nice try anyway.

      Yuv
    • Carl von Einem
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 10, 2006
        not too bad... ;-)

        yuval_levy wrote:
        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, de gava <wblakesx@...> wrote:
        >> For a start it would be nice to set up a faq, list of...
        >
        > Anything else?
        >
        > For a start, it would be nice if you would introduce yourself. I had a
        > pleasure, like the other moderators, to read that you "did some pano
        > work 6 years ago, I want to develope 'vr' skills. ". I searched for
        > "de gava" and for your email address and came across nothing vr but
        > the June 12 yahoo mail worm that infected so many YahooGroups. I don't
        > even know if "de gava" is your real name. From Google I found out that
        > you are probably in Miami and you might have written an article about
        > voting machines fraud. Hot weather, eh dude?
        >
        > You will find an FAQ at <http://ptfaq.org/> - and there are other
        > community ressources which at the moment are... uhum... still hijacked
        > and hence I will not link them here. I am sure you can operate
        > google.com, right? and maybe structure your findings as an FAQ or a
        > list of links and share them with us?
        >
        > Maybe I was not clear when I wrote the welcome message to this list -
        > specifically what is on topic and what is not. I've added a second
        > bullet to that message under "off topic". There is another list that
        > deals with how we want to organize ourself. Feel free to read it and
        > make yourself aquainted with the little insignificant problems that
        > this community is currently dealing with. Then make whatever
        > proposition seems sensible to you. I suspect that for the time being
        > you will not find many volunteers for your plans, but nice try anyway.
        >
        > Yuv

      • Carl von Einem
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 11, 2006
          One (read: Carl) should clearly read his own words again when posting to
          the list.

          Carl von Einem made a stupid comment:
          > not too bad...

          Trying to put some sense into that: I like this "welcome message" file
          (which I didn't receive when I was approved). So "trying out the
          features of Yahoo groups" is something I really encourage in some way. I
          also don't like the "bells and whistles" HTMl postings as they are
          really awful for digest readers and for the archive. I am actually used
          to plain ascii digests and prefer those over Yahoo's web interface.

          The FAQ asked for by "de gava" is sort of a legitimate question. So why
          not use the according sections of our group to link to the basics?

          OTOH Yuv has a good point in saying that the priorities lay on other
          topics. Maybe in calmer words?

          > yuval_levy provoked:
          >>
          >> You will find an FAQ at <http://ptfaq.org/> - and there are other
          >> community ressources which at the moment are... uhum... still hijacked
          >> and hence I will not link them here. I am sure you can operate
          >> google.com, right? and maybe structure your findings as an FAQ or a
          >> list of links and share them with us?

          Good idea: "de gava" and whoever likes to fill in some early content.
          Post it here for others or even better: look for the appropriate section

          >> Maybe I was not clear when I wrote the welcome message to this list -
          >> specifically what is on topic and what is not. I've added a second
          >> bullet to that message under "off topic". There is another list that
          >> deals with how we want to organize ourself. Feel free to read it and
          >> make yourself aquainted with the little insignificant problems that
          >> this community is currently dealing with. Then make whatever
          >> proposition seems sensible to you. I suspect that for the time being
          >> you will not find many volunteers for your plans, but nice try anyway.

          Yuv is understandably a bit concerned about others trying to bring the
          discussion away from those topics we feel to be top priority right now.
          But then... hey, this is the "non-political" list! Keep on bringing
          ideas! This list is brand new and needs some time to organize itself, we
          need everyones help!

          Carl

          ps.
          "de gava", do you have a name for us we can use without those quotation
          marks? Thanks...
        • Thomas Rauscher
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 11, 2006
            Hello Mickael,

            on Tuesday, July 11, 2006, 02:16:19 you wrote:

            mt> ahuum,

            mt> Yahoo and such html email suck, always have and always will, untill
            mt> standards are achieved.
            mt> email should just be that and no more: plain text that ALL READERS can read.

            Have you seen the option at "Edit Membership"
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/join ?

            Just set the "Message Preference" to "Traditional" and you will have
            nice ASCII emails.... ;)

            MfG,
            Thomas.
          • mickael therer
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 11, 2006
              am I dumb, or am I dumb ?

              thank you Thomas !

              -m

              --
              http://www.360days.com
              http://ww2panorama.org
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 11, 2006
                Well Shut my mouth(keyboard)

                " Re: new forum set up
                Posted by: "yuval_levy" yuval_levy@... [ my
                email address is, like yours in the digest]

                <wblakesx@...> wrote:
                > For a start it would be nice to set up a faq, list
                of...

                "Anything else? [ yes, here was an enquiry, not a
                statement ]

                "For a start, it would be nice if you would introduce
                yourself.

                "I searched for
                "de gava" and for your email address and came across
                nothing vr but
                the June 12 yahoo mail worm that infected so many ...I
                don't
                even know if "de gava" is your real name. From Google
                I found out that
                you are probably in Miami and you might have written
                an article about
                voting machines fraud. YahooGroups. [ and who said the
                inquisition was dead? and this para has a peculiar
                traducatory feel if not intent]

                "Maybe I was not clear when I wrote the welcome
                message to this list -
                specifically what is on topic and what is not. [ no
                it is Not at all clear, and if you examine it from a
                npov...]

                "There is another list that
                deals with how we want to organize ourself. Feel free
                to read it and
                make yourself aquainted with the little insignificant
                [ wow you have a strange prose style] problems that
                this community is currently dealing with. [ where?
                where's the link?, are you a good mod? or a soso mod?
                ]
                Then make whatever
                proposition seems sensible to you. [ after being
                castigated for the same thing? sorta puts a damper on
                ykwim? as does :]
                I suspect that for the time being
                you will not find many volunteers for your plans [ I
                think you may have driven a few off ], but nice try
                anyway.[ Are you a native English speaker? this kind
                of phrase is rather jarring, like my Italian friend
                saying to black people and jews, "you people", of
                course he says it to everyone, but the black people
                don't know it. I rather hope you aren't very fluent in
                the language]

                Sorry all. I've alienated a mod and perhaps afew
                others. I'm getting the feeling that it is too stuffy
                around here and I don't need this shizo treatment.
                Perhaps I'll place a proxy here or perhaps I'll bugger
                off. I was trying to move the group to a higher
                ground, but I can see many here are caught up in
                details, like close ups.
                -David, my real name

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • de gava
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 12, 2006
                  I see no answer to my last post perhaps i should
                  drop the issue and move on, but first: It should be
                  remembered by those on the digest scheme that Fora
                  are arranged by Threads. Threads are easy to opt out
                  of and contain their own subject matter, so why a
                  narrow and capricious take on what may be posted?
                  After all many have made 'off topic ' comments and
                  will continue. Otoh this is a new beginning and a
                  proper time and place to Institute...institutional
                  utilities.
                  That said, and hoping and 'controversy' is settled,
                  noted that Fora have threads as a constituent and a
                  proper differentiation pointed out, : I belong to a
                  Forum for old cars ( to keep mine running). Everytime
                  I go there there is at least one post from the
                  ministers stating that For Sale items have their own
                  page and a link give. This thread is posted Every
                  dayin that forum. Explicitly, such a device can aid
                  navigation tremendously as it can tip to a nav page
                  and queries can be directected there.
                  As it is the thread will jumble, perhaps that will
                  make for more dedicated membership, there's generally
                  a sort of yin to yang thing, but it also opens up some
                  other probs.
                  I hope someone is glad I didn't just bugger off.
                  Hope some here can read the tea leaves.

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • serge Maandag (yahoo)
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 12, 2006
                    > After all many have made 'off topic ' comments and
                    > will continue. Otoh this is a new beginning and a
                    > proper time and place to Institute...institutional
                    > utilities.

                    Off-topic will only become a problem once it gets annoying.
                    No worries. This looks to me like something regarding a
                    wish list for rules/regulations. That definitely belongs to
                    the Panotools-List list :)
                    Please join us there.

                    > I hope someone is glad I didn't just bugger off.

                    Yep, here is one.
                    Welcome to the group!

                    Serge.
                  • tflyfish2002
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 12, 2006
                      Man,
                      You've got more Rabbit than Sainsbury's.
                      Why not sign your posts and you might get taken a bit more seriously.
                      I don't wish to start a Flame war, but the word Troll comes to mind.
                      So correct me if I am wrong.

                      Bazzer-- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, de gava <wblakesx@...> wrote:

                      > I see no answer to my last post perhaps i should
                      > drop the issue and move on, but first: It should be
                      > remembered by those on the digest scheme that Fora
                      > are arranged by Threads. Threads are easy to opt out
                      > of and contain their own subject matter, so why a
                      > narrow and capricious take on what may be posted?
                      > After all many have made 'off topic ' comments and
                      > will continue. Otoh this is a new beginning and a
                      > proper time and place to Institute...institutional
                      > utilities.
                      > That said, and hoping and 'controversy' is settled,
                      > noted that Fora have threads as a constituent and a
                      > proper differentiation pointed out, : I belong to a
                      > Forum for old cars ( to keep mine running). Everytime
                      > I go there there is at least one post from the
                      > ministers stating that For Sale items have their own
                      > page and a link give. This thread is posted Every
                      > dayin that forum. Explicitly, such a device can aid
                      > navigation tremendously as it can tip to a nav page
                      > and queries can be directected there.
                      > As it is the thread will jumble, perhaps that will
                      > make for more dedicated membership, there's generally
                      > a sort of yin to yang thing, but it also opens up some
                      > other probs.
                      > I hope someone is glad I didn't just bugger off.
                      > Hope some here can read the tea leaves.

                      > http://mail.yahoo.com

                    • Ian Wood
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 13, 2006
                        (Puts on shiny new moderators hat)

                        This list is for shiny, happy people having fun discussing panoramas.

                        All politics and/or list management topics should be discussed in the
                        appropriate place:

                        (Takes off shiny new moderators hat)

                        Ian
                      • yuval_levy
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 13, 2006
                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ian Wood <panolists@...> wrote:

                          > (Puts on shiny new moderators hat)
                          >
                          > This list is for shiny, happy people having fun discussing panoramas.
                          >
                          > All politics and/or list management topics should be discussed in the
                          > appropriate place:
                          >
                          > (Takes off shiny new moderators hat)

                          I think this is what Bazzer was trying to say to our exhuberant
                          anonymous newbie and I respect Bazzer for that. We know him and we
                          know he does not have flowers in his mouth. We know his panoramas work
                          and we know that he is often helpful with peer support online.

                          Not things that can be said about "de gava", who wonders why a Jew
                          with Italian as mother tongue and four additional languages under his
                          belt does not answer his off-topic posts and off-list provocations in
                          which his answer to a request for panorama related credential reads
                          like a dating ad?

                          People who have been around in this community long enough know me and
                          my panorama credentials. They also know that I don't have flowers in
                          my mouth either. I rather not answer the provocation than spit fire.

                          shiny happy people laughing.
                          Yuv
                        • de gava
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 13, 2006
                            This is outrageous use of this list after the caution
                            given by this jerk to me!!! Bipolar is my guess. Loose
                            name dropping and putting words into other's mouths
                            seems alittle too 'happy' for me. He has my email and
                            is abusing the list and any staus mod or not within. I
                            take this as a personal attack as is generally grounds
                            for banning or a caution. And the Anti Jew Jew baiting
                            is extemely offensive.

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • Kathy Wheeler
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 13, 2006
                              I am sure I do not need to remind the good members of this list that
                              inflammatory posts, deliberate or otherwise, should not be responded
                              to either on list or off.

                              Regards,
                              KathyW.
                            • Flemming V. Larsen
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 14, 2006
                                Totally agree. As a wise person once said:

                                "Not until we understand, that deep down we really don't understand each
                                other, we can begin to understand"

                                so be polite and tolerant - and if you still want to bang your head on
                                somebody try some other place - perhaps here.....;-):
                                http://widelec.org/zidane.html

                                - Flemming ;-)