Re: File Format-

  • Helmut Dersch
    Message 1 of 97 , Jun 27, 2008

      > Interesting thought, higher color depth for JPEG. Would it still be
      > JPEG even JPEG2000? You are the first one to even mention the idea
      > but it's not a bad idea. 8 bit colors are getting long in the tooth
      > given the current generation of hardware.

      The standard allows larger color depths, ROIs and larger than 64kx64k
      images, all features which are very interesting to panorama people. I
      suspect that few encoders and decoders support all these options.

      The "old" JPEG standard also allowed larger color depths. E.g. libjpeg
      (from the Independent JPEG Group) can be compiled with 12bit instead
      of 8bit depth, and you can then encode and decode using this format.
      Unfortunately, there will be few people who will be able to view your
      panoramas, unless you provide a custom viewer with this special
      version of libjpeg. There are more features in the standard, which
      many viewers don't understand (lossless jpeg, etc).

      Helmut Dersch
    • Fulvio Senore
      Message 97 of 97 , Jul 2 1:18 PM
        Many thanks to all those who took the time to test the pano.
        I suppose than now I have some useful info.

        slow loading is caused by the internet connection. Unless java on Mac is
        hopeless, of course.

        At the moment there is no point in having a larger pano, since the
        current implementation of java has not enough memory available to store
        a larger image.

        I hope that I will be able to prepare something in the next months.

        Fulvio Senore