Re: File Format-

  • Helmut Dersch
    Message 1 of 97 , Jun 26, 2008

      > I tried to strip down the JJ2000 reference implementation to get
      > to an all Java JPEG2000 decoder that I could package with my applet.
      > The best I could do was a 250kb applet. JJ2000 was half logging
      > and error detection because it was a reference implementation.
      >
      > I didn't have the strength to cut through all the crap in it...
      >
      > What decoder did you use?

      At the time when I published the mentioned PTViewer extension this (ie
      the reference implementation) was the only available JPEG2000-java
      solution. It works quite well, and I think you can't get much lower
      than 250kb of code even for an optimized version. It is possible to
      use other decoders with PTViewer, but I have not monitored the
      developments in this field.

      As to the (my) motivation of using JPEG2000: Getting a 10 or maybe
      20% better compression level is not enough to warrant the hassle of
      switching to an entirely new image format. What was more interesting
      to me about JPEG2000 was the theoretical possibility of using larger
      bitdepths than 8 bits. As far as I remember, this option, which is
      mentioned in the specs, has not (yet?) found its way into actual
      encoders/decoders; maybe this has changed.

      Helmut Dersch
    • Fulvio Senore
      Message 97 of 97 , Jul 2, 2008
        Many thanks to all those who took the time to test the pano.
        I suppose than now I have some useful info.

        slow loading is caused by the internet connection. Unless java on Mac is
        hopeless, of course.

        At the moment there is no point in having a larger pano, since the
        current implementation of java has not enough memory available to store
        a larger image.

        I hope that I will be able to prepare something in the next months.

        Fulvio Senore