Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: File Format-

  • Ken Warner
    Message 1 of 97 , Jun 26, 2008
      But looking at your crops I'd say that there is something
      wacky with the encoder you are using. I don't see that
      kind of image degredation when I transcode jpeg to jpeg2000.

      Hans Nyberg wrote:
      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "bohonus" <bradford@...> wrote:
      >

      >>>JPEG 2000 is a joke for normal photographic images. I have tested it several times
      >
      > since it
      >
      >>>was introduced and I never seen any benefit compared to jpg.
      >>>
      >>>As I thought something new perhaps had happened recently I installed the Plugin for
      >
      > CS3
      >
      >>>and made a test again.
      >>
      >>Don't use the Photoshop CS3 JPEG2000 plug in. I don't know what the issue is with that
      >>plug-in for CS3 but it does not function or compress very well.
      >>
      >>Try using GraphicConverter (Mac OS) instead. You will get better results.
      >>

      > I have tested Graphic Converter also. It is much worse than CS3
      > It could not at all handle my 105 mb test image,
      >
      > It was impossible to drag the sliders for compression,
      >
      > This is on my 2.0 dualcore G5 with 8GB Ram,
      > To be able to save it I had to first reduce the size to a 25mb image and calculate the
      > sliders for a similar compression as my JPG.
      > The sliders than stayed in place when I opened my large image.
      >
      > Here is some crops showing the artifacts you get with JPG2000
      > http://www.panoramas.dk/test/TestJPG2000.jpg
      >
      > Look how the bricks in the wall are destroyed and all the details in the road are blurred.
      > The CS3 version was actually better but it had some weird artifact in the sky like tiling.
      >
      > It reminds me about the old Cinepack codec used back in the first years of QTVR.
      > http://www.virtualdenmark.dk/qtvr/codec/codec.html
      >

      > Hans

    • Fulvio Senore
      Message 97 of 97 , Jul 2, 2008
        Many thanks to all those who took the time to test the pano.
        I suppose than now I have some useful info.

        slow loading is caused by the internet connection. Unless java on Mac is
        hopeless, of course.

        At the moment there is no point in having a larger pano, since the
        current implementation of java has not enough memory available to store
        a larger image.

        I hope that I will be able to prepare something in the next months.

        Fulvio Senore