What happens when you refuse to sell your house to land developers?

  • bohonus
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 21, 2008
      The long saga of Edith Macefield vs land developers-

      See the VR here:

      http://tinyurl.com/4e2hx7

      Read the story here:

      http://tinyurl.com/6mplcm

      Shot with Panoscan MK3 & Mamiya 24mm fisheye
    • AYRTON
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 22, 2008
        I Loved it :-)Thanks for sharing
        best
        AYRTON

        On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 2:15 AM, bohonus <bradford@...> wrote:

        > The long saga of Edith Macefield vs land developers-
        >
        > See the VR here:
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/4e2hx7
        >
        > Read the story here:
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/6mplcm
        >
        > Shot with Panoscan MK3 & Mamiya 24mm fisheye

        ------------
        | A Y R |
        | T O N |
        ------------

        + 55 21 9982 6313

        http://ayrton360.com
        http://rio.360cities.net
        http://vrfolio.com
        http://ayrton.com

      • Uri Cogan
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 22, 2008
          bohonus wrote:

          > The long saga of Edith Macefield vs land developers-

          Great! thanks.

        • johncharlesriley
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 23, 2008
            Interesting story and pano; thanks for sharing. I love folks who refuse to sell out to
            developers! I am glad the city didn't abuse eminent domain laws to force her out. In my
            town (Spartanburg, SC), a local college bought up an entire low-income, minority
            neighborhood to demolish and build a stadium and facilities for the summer training camp
            for the Carolina Panthers pro football team. The city and college got grants from the
            Appalachian Regional Commission to pay for a large chunk (Since the ARC exists to
            encourage development in the dirt-poor backwaters of Appalachia [think of the movie
            Deliverance and banjo music], this one stretched the definition of Appalachia to the
            breaking point!) The city was using eminent domain to push people to sell out to the
            college. One little old lady told them that their idea of fair value (around $40,000, if I
            recall) was way too low. They said, Hey, it's just a shack! But, she said Look what you are
            planning for the property! It got pretty testy, but she had better nerve than the city.
            Eventually, the project was completed with her little shack right in the middle of the whole
            thing. After a couple of years, the city and college blinked and paid her a much more
            reasonable value.

            Shame that the lady in your city has no heirs. It will be interesting to see what benefits
            from the sale of the property.

            After all that blabbing, I did want to ask you a technical question. With your 24mm on the
            PanoScan, do you really get coverage all the way to the zenith? How do you patch the
            nadir? Do you shoot something with a hand-held camera or just clone it in?

            John

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Uri Cogan <uri@...> wrote:

            > bohonus wrote:
            >
            > > The long saga of Edith Macefield vs land developers-
            > >

            > Great! thanks.

          • bohonus
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 23, 2008
              > After all that blabbing, I did want to ask you a technical question. With your 24mm on the
              > PanoScan, do you really get coverage all the way to the zenith? How do you patch the
              > nadir? Do you shoot something with a hand-held camera or just clone it in?

              Yes, the Mamiya 24mm sees just past 180 degrees to get a complete zenith and nadir. To see
              what the "footprint" of the Panoscan looks like in the nadir shot, I have uploaded a bottom
              cube face for you to check out-

              http://www.bohonus.com/temp/panoscan_nadir.jpeg

              The tripod seen in this shot is a fairly large Gitzo 1548 4-section that is fully extended.
              Bringing the viewpoint to almost 2 meters in height. The center black disc in the middle is
              the Panoscan itself as seen by the lens.
            • panovrx
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 23, 2008
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "bohonus" <bradford@...> wrote:

                > The long saga of Edith Macefield vs land developers-
                >
                > See the VR here:
                >
                > http://tinyurl.com/4e2hx7
                >
                > Read the story here:
                >
                > http://tinyurl.com/6mplcm
                >
                > Shot with Panoscan MK3 & Mamiya 24mm fisheye

                Yes this is a very nice panorama -- tells the story like no other
                technology could. That Mamiya lens is very sharp and contrasty as your
                panorama shows .... the sharpest of the medium format fisheyes I think
                (apart from the Zeiss 30mm I guess). I made a 67 medium format film
                fisheye camera with that lens once (with a leaf shutter added).

                Peter Murphy