browsershots.org

  • dalileis
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 21, 2008
      Just wanted to give you tips and point you in the direction of this
      multipurpose timesaver:

      www.browsershots.org

      Remember the address, because if you are a VR photographer who wants
      to know how your beautiful VRs look on different OS platforms and
      various versions of any imaginable browser available then you will be
      using this one quite often. I do and I think it´s worth its kilobytes
      in gold.

      Regards,

      Dalileis
    • Steven Dowd
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 21, 2008
        Hi

        Website owners, although happy to see their websites in so many different
        browsers all at once, might be very unpopular with the server hosts.

        For those that this site worries, or just those interested, 32 separate IP
        addresses hit my site all at the time that I clicked for a check of the
        60+ browser types, I checked this on two sites, both empty domains, that
        I knew the only connections to the empty pages would be from
        browsershots.org, and I got the same 32 IP's on both domains

        I did think to just ban the use of the site on my own sites via the
        referrer but the logs for the sites showed no referrer on any of the
        connections, I do have a full list of the 32 IP's though, I am just
        undecided if I want to ban them from my servers. (if you want the list of
        IP's email me)

        Inflicting a possible 60+ connections to a webpage all at once is going to
        bump some peoples servers off the web, or use up limited bandwidth for
        some sites

        Repeated use of it on someone else's server in a short period, could be
        seen as a denial of service attack.

        Its a pity that the people at browsershots.org do not make people signin
        to make users more responsible for using the service

        Steven

        From: "dalileis" <dalileis@...>
        Subject: [PanoToolsNG] browsershots.org

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 21, 2008
          After lots of reading, I found that it wouldn't be feasible to block IP's
          because the screenshot servers are all run by volunteers, on many home
          system IP's and the online screenshot servers change by the hour

          but their system is supposed to respect the robots.txt standards, so the
          browsershots can be stopped by using the following in your robots.txt file

          Disallow:

          Steven
        • Kathy Wheeler
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 22, 2008
            On 22/06/2008, at 1:10 PM, Steven Dowd wrote:
            > but their system is supposed to respect the robots.txt standards,
            > so the
            > browsershots can be stopped by using the following in your
            > robots.txt file

            "browsershots" machines are only going to come to your site if you
            ask them to:

            On 22/06/2008, at 12:34 PM, Steven Dowd wrote:
            > all at the time that I clicked for a check of the
            > 60+ browser types,

            So blocking them from doing what you asked them to would seem to be
            rather silly ...

            KathyW.
          • dalileis
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 22, 2008
              > So blocking them from doing what you asked them to would seem to be
              > rather silly ...

              Couldn´t put it better myself.
            • Steven Dowd
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 22, 2008
                Kathy

                whats do stop me or anyone else sending 65 browser requests at once to
                your site?

                they don't 'only' come to 'your' site when 'you' ask, they come when
                anyone anywhere sends them

                They also seem able to be sent to any particular page, so if i send a 65
                shot request to a page on your site that had a 3 mb image, thats 180mb of
                transfer,

                Then if i sent that once every day??

                those requests could be the difference between you getting an extra
                hosting charge for the mb of transfers

                Steven

                > On 22/06/2008, at 1:10 PM, Steven Dowd wrote:
                >> but their system is supposed to respect the robots.txt standards,
                >> so the
                >> browsershots can be stopped by using the following in your
                >> robots.txt file
                >
                > "browsershots" machines are only going to come to your site if you
                > ask them to:
                >
                > On 22/06/2008, at 12:34 PM, Steven Dowd wrote:
                >> all at the time that I clicked for a check of the
                >> 60+ browser types,
                >
                > So blocking them from doing what you asked them to would seem to be
                > rather silly ...
                >
                > KathyW.

              • dalileis
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 22, 2008
                  Hi Steven
                  No, au contraire, that would explicitly allow browsershots, not stop it.

                  More here:

                  http://trac.browsershots.org/wiki/FrequentlyAskedQuestions#Blockedbyrobots.txt

                  > but their system is supposed to respect the robots.txt standards, so
                  the
                  > browsershots can be stopped by using the following in your
                  robots.txt file

                  > Disallow:

                  > Steven
                • Steven Dowd
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 22, 2008
                    dalileis

                    yes, your right

                    I missed the / off the disallow statement

                    Disallow: /

                    I will use for my excuse the fact that i read and posted the replies
                    sometime just after 3:30am just as I was about to retire to bed.

                    Steven

                    > No, au contraire, that would explicitly allow browsershots, not stop it.
                    >
                    > More here:
                    >
                    > http://trac.browsershots.org/wiki/FrequentlyAskedQuestions#Blockedbyrobots.txt
                    >

                    >> but their system is supposed to respect the robots.txt standards, so
                    > the
                    >> browsershots can be stopped by using the following in your
                    > robots.txt file

                    >> Disallow:
                    >
                    >> Steven

                  • dalileis
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 22, 2008
                      No p. :) BTW, I see the issue you raised has in fact been mentioned in
                      one ticket on the browsershots "forum" 2 years ago:

                      http://trac.browsershots.org/ticket/45

                      One would expect this has been taken care of by now. Otherwise, you
                      might have a point there.

                      Regards,

                      Dalileis
                    • aiwetir
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 22, 2008
                        i tested this on my developing environment and it seems the shots and
                        or pages time out on a slow connection or just time out period. it
                        also appears that the requests are spread out over a few minutes. any
                        server should be able to handle this.

                        mmm