2 Gigapixel panorama at Munich Airport

  • pepoloe
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 20, 2008
      Hi all,
      would like to share my latest panorama made at Munich airport.
      Panorama size is 430 pictures at focal length of 600mm, taken with
      Olympus E-510, Zuiko 70-300 lens and the programmable GigaPanBot.
      The panorama was stitched with PTGui Beta 8.4, which shows excellent
      performance improvements in speed.
      Thanks to Bernhard for the Slicer tool the split the image, as it was
      too large to stitch in one go.
      The panorama can be viewed here:
      http://gigapan.org/viewGigapan.php?id=6130
      Have a good flight, ET
    • John Riley
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 20, 2008
        Very busy airport! I see at least 3 airplanes in the air at low
        altitude. I am surprised you caught any in the air at all with that
        focal length and automated shooting. I mean, maybe if you were
        trying to get some, but just by coincidence?

        Did you have official permission to shoot? Try shooting something
        like that in the U.S. and you might find Homeland Security beating
        you about the kidneys with large sticks.

        John

        John Riley
        johnriley@...
        jriley@...

        On Jun 20, 2008, at 6:12 AM, pepoloe wrote:

        > Hi all,
        > would like to share my latest panorama made at Munich airport.
        > Panorama size is 430 pictures at focal length of 600mm, taken with
        > Olympus E-510, Zuiko 70-300 lens and the programmable GigaPanBot.
        > The panorama was stitched with PTGui Beta 8.4, which shows excellent
        > performance improvements in speed.
        > Thanks to Bernhard for the Slicer tool the split the image, as it was
        > too large to stitch in one go.
        > The panorama can be viewed here:
        > http://gigapan.org/viewGigapan.php?id=6130
        > Have a good flight, ET

      • pepoloe
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 20, 2008
          You are right, I shoot the 2 planes on the left manually after
          finishing the automated job.
          The place where I shoot the images is the visitor center and YES
          everyone is allowed to take pictures.
          And just to make sure I don't violate any policy, I have asked the
          security.

          > Very busy airport! I see at least 3 airplanes in the air at low
          > altitude. I am surprised you caught any in the air at all with that
          > focal length and automated shooting. I mean, maybe if you were
          > trying to get some, but just by coincidence?
          >
          > Did you have official permission to shoot? Try shooting something
          > like that in the U.S. and you might find Homeland Security beating
          > you about the kidneys with large sticks.
          >
          > John
          >
          > John Riley
          > johnriley@...
          > jriley@...
          >

          > On Jun 20, 2008, at 6:12 AM, pepoloe wrote:
          >
          > > Hi all,
          > > would like to share my latest panorama made at Munich airport.
          > > Panorama size is 430 pictures at focal length of 600mm, taken with
          > > Olympus E-510, Zuiko 70-300 lens and the programmable GigaPanBot.
          > > The panorama was stitched with PTGui Beta 8.4, which shows excellent
          > > performance improvements in speed.
          > > Thanks to Bernhard for the Slicer tool the split the image, as it was
          > > too large to stitch in one go.
          > > The panorama can be viewed here:
          > > http://gigapan.org/viewGigapan.php?id=6130
          > > Have a good flight, ET

        • Hans Nyberg
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 20, 2008
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "pepoloe" <pepoloe@...> wrote:

            > You are right, I shoot the 2 planes on the left manually after
            > finishing the automated job.
            > The place where I shoot the images is the visitor center and YES
            > everyone is allowed to take pictures.
            > And just to make sure I don't violate any policy, I have asked the
            > security.

            Did you also show them the final result.
            Zoomed in.

            Hans
          • pepoloe
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 20, 2008
              Yes, I had a phone call with them today and send them an email with
              the result.

              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "pepoloe" <pepoloe@> wrote:
              > >
              > > You are right, I shoot the 2 planes on the left manually after
              > > finishing the automated job.
              > > The place where I shoot the images is the visitor center and YES
              > > everyone is allowed to take pictures.
              > > And just to make sure I don't violate any policy, I have asked the
              > > security.
              >
              > Did you also show them the final result.
              > Zoomed in.
              >
              > Hans

            • Milko K. Amorth
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 20, 2008
                Hi GigaPanoBot,
                > Yes, I had a phone call with them today and send them an email with
                > the result.
                I was hoping you would'nt. I would not be surprised if the location you
                took the gigapan from will be 'more' monitored from now on.
                I know this spot and it is prime stage for any airport scene.

                That's just 'gigapanpanic' of mine. It will sooner or later get to
                public security franticness, I was just hoping for later.

                Cheers, Milko

                --

                Milko K.Amorth
                ph:604.561.5101

                www.VRCanada.ca
                360° Immersive Imaging
                Skype: VRdundee

                Check out the new release of Lucid Flash Viewer in HD!
              • Juergen Schrader
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 21, 2008
                  no reason to panic.
                  from my own expereince i know that in munich and on other german
                  airports you can get a permission to take pictures right at the
                  flying field and - in case you need it - close to the runway as well.
                  they definitely don't fear guys with long lenses "shooting" from the
                  distant (which a pletora of spotters does every day and all around).

                  so if you want to keep yourself out of trouble just make sure there
                  are no elal machines on site (no joke).

                  best
                  juergen

                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Milko K. Amorth" <panotools@...>