Re: [PanoToolsNG] Reproducing camera position with a laser distance meter?

  • John Riley
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 16, 2008
      This is decidedly more low-tech than all the solutions offered, but
      here goes. I would tape a string running between diagonal corners,
      with each of two sets of diagonal corners (does that make sense?)
      Then, I would place my tripod so that two legs are on strings and the
      third at the place the strings cross. Make sure the legs are fully
      extended and the same legs on the same spot each time. Level the
      camera and go!

      Of course, this might not work so well if the renovation is tearing
      out the walls. But if it is that extreme, accuracy isn't that
      important, eh?

      John

      John Riley
      johnriley@...
      jriley@...

    • crane@ukonline.co.uk
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 16, 2008
        Quoting John Riley <johnriley@...>:

        > This is decidedly more low-tech than all the solutions offered, but
        > here goes. I would tape a string running between diagonal corners,
        > with each of two sets of diagonal corners (does that make sense?)
        > Then, I would place my tripod so that two legs are on strings and the
        > third at the place the strings cross. Make sure the legs are fully
        > extended and the same legs on the same spot each time. Level the
        > camera and go!
        >
        > Of course, this might not work so well if the renovation is tearing
        > out the walls. But if it is that extreme, accuracy isn't that
        > important, eh?

        I was going to suggest this but with a plumbline to the intesection, also
        using lazer pointers instead of string
        regards

        mick
        ---
        "what do you run on Rocket Martin ?"
        "I run on beans"
        "what kind of beans ?"
        "lazer beans"

      • crane@ukonline.co.uk
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 16, 2008
          Rockette Morton

        • crane@ukonline.co.uk
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 16, 2008
            Quoting crane@...:

            > Rockette Morton
            I'm sorry about this I seem to have given a false reference. I heard him say
            this in Brighton but obviously I misheard.

            mick

          • Philipp B. Koch
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 16, 2008
              Jim Watters schrieb:
              > Philipp B. Koch wrote:
              >
              >> I'm afraid that won't work at all, because it's a room that's going to be completely refurbished. There won't be any points left that allow for comparison.
              >>

              > Between the start and end of the project there might not be any points
              > left but if you are taking panos all the way through the building
              > process then I bet there are several points that will be usable between
              > the previous pano to the current pano. (...)
              Yes, of course you're right. This thing I'm doing there is only a simple
              before-after-pano of a friend's bar-to-be-started (right now it looks
              more like a ... well... listed for demolition). So unfortunately I can
              only shoot one before (which I already have) and one after the
              refurbishment. That's why I was thinking if there could not be a better
              way than my nail-in-the-ceiling approach. And obviously there is, as all
              the answers have shown. I think I will try something with several laser
              pointers if I have the chance one day.

              > I did a series of panos of my back yard from the deck all summer long.
              > I marked the extension of the tripod, so it was extended to the same
              > position each time.
              > I placed a screw into the deck, and drew a circle around it that the
              > tripod legs would sit on.

              Hhm, impossible in my case because the floor must not be painted at nor
              could I place screws in it.

              Again, thanks to everyone!

              Best regards, Philipp