Lyneham Coombe (newbuild eco house) Tour

  • sphereworks
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 11, 2008
      Hi,

      Thought some of you might be interested to see the images I've been
      working on recently of an Eco house for sale. I've produced some VR
      and Still images to assist marketing of the house. Also I took an
      object image around the house. Going to attempt this again soon with
      a monopod to keep the height of the camera the same.

      http://www.sphereworks.co.uk/tour_demo/lyneham_coombe_tour.php

      The house is quite impressive. The frame of the house is constructed
      from laminated timber beams, clad with red cedar and roofed in cedar
      shingles. They say this method of construction and choice of
      materials will lock in hundreds of tonnes of carbon for the life of
      the building, which would otherwise be dissipated into the atmosphere
      in the form of carbon dioxide (greenhouse gas). The house has no
      mains water. Has two separate water systems, a potable system
      providing water for drinking and washing, and a 'grey' (recycled)
      water system for toilets, garden watering, car washing etc. The
      water comes from two wells and water collected from the roof. The
      house has its own mini sewerage plant which they say is cleaner that
      water in the local rivers.

      Let me know what you think.

      Best Wishes,

      Pete
      Sphereworks Ltd
      www.sphereworks.co.uk
    • Philipp B. Koch
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 11, 2008
        Hi Pete,

        sphereworks schrieb:
        > Also I took an
        > object image around the house. Going to attempt this again soon with
        > a monopod to keep the height of the camera the same.
        >
        > http://www.sphereworks.co.uk/tour_demo/lyneham_coombe_tour.php
        Quite impressive. But without a doubt, keeping the camera height equal
        between the single frames
        of your around-house-vr would improve the viewing experience a lot.

        How do you make this around-the-house-vr techniqually? I don't mean the
        photography (which is clear),
        but the Flash thing. Is is a plugin or special SWF you use, or did you
        do it yourself with Flash (the program)?

        Regards, Philipp
      • sphereworks
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 11, 2008
          Hi Philipp,

          Thank you for looking. I used Pano2QTVR to produce the object
          movie. I would like to know what other software is out there to do
          this? The image was a little rushed as the sun was popping in and
          out every other minute. I was thinking of producing it full screen
          but I think the smaller version works just fine.

          Cheers,

          Pete
          www.sphereworks.co.uk

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Philipp B. Koch" <pk@...> wrote:

          > Hi Pete,
          >
          > sphereworks schrieb:
          > > Also I took an
          > > object image around the house. Going to attempt this again soon
          with
          > > a monopod to keep the height of the camera the same.
          > >
          > > http://www.sphereworks.co.uk/tour_demo/lyneham_coombe_tour.php
          > Quite impressive. But without a doubt, keeping the camera height
          equal
          > between the single frames
          > of your around-house-vr would improve the viewing experience a lot.
          >
          > How do you make this around-the-house-vr techniqually? I don't mean
          the
          > photography (which is clear),
          > but the Flash thing. Is is a plugin or special SWF you use, or did
          you
          > do it yourself with Flash (the program)?
          >
          > Regards, Philipp

        • paul womack
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 11, 2008
            sphereworks wrote:

            > The house is quite impressive.

            For 1,400,000 quid, I should damn well hope so!

            BugBear
          • Philipp B. Koch
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 11, 2008
              Hi Pete,

              sphereworks schrieb:
              > Hi Philipp,
              >
              > Thank you for looking. I used Pano2QTVR to produce the object
              > movie. I would like to know what other software is out there to do
              > this?

              Unfortunately, I don't have experience with object movies. But there's
              atutorial I had a look at
              that shows how to make it yourself from inside Flash
              (http://www.actionscript.org/resources/articles/164/1/Object-VR-In-Flash-MX/Page1.html).
              I don't have Flash, so at least for me it's not an option. Another
              software being capable of object movie creation is Easypano Modelweaver
              (http://www.easypano.com/product-43_343.html), for example.

              > The image was a little rushed as the sun was popping in and
              > out every other minute. I was thinking of producing it full screen
              > but I think the smaller version works just fine.
              I agree, the small version is just fine. IMO the images themselves
              should be enhanced with a greater dynamic range, using Enblend or
              something similar.

              Best regards, Philipp
            • Vincèn
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 11, 2008
                Very nice :) What camera and lens did you use ?

                Thanks

                Vincèn

                Le 11 juin 08 à 15:09, sphereworks a écrit :

                > Hi,
                >
                > Thought some of you might be interested to see the images I've been
                > working on recently of an Eco house for sale. I've produced some VR
                > and Still images to assist marketing of the house. Also I took an
                > object image around the house. Going to attempt this again soon with
                > a monopod to keep the height of the camera the same.
                >
                > http://www.sphereworks.co.uk/tour_demo/lyneham_coombe_tour.php
                >
                > The house is quite impressive. The frame of the house is constructed
                > from laminated timber beams, clad with red cedar and roofed in cedar
                > shingles. They say this method of construction and choice of
                > materials will lock in hundreds of tonnes of carbon for the life of
                > the building, which would otherwise be dissipated into the atmosphere
                > in the form of carbon dioxide (greenhouse gas). The house has no
                > mains water. Has two separate water systems, a potable system
                > providing water for drinking and washing, and a 'grey' (recycled)
                > water system for toilets, garden watering, car washing etc. The
                > water comes from two wells and water collected from the roof. The
                > house has its own mini sewerage plant which they say is cleaner that
                > water in the local rivers.
                >
                > Let me know what you think.
                >
                > Best Wishes,
                >
                > Pete
                > Sphereworks Ltd
                > www.sphereworks.co.uk

              • sphereworks
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 11, 2008
                  > IMO the images themselves
                  > should be enhanced with a greater dynamic range, using Enblend or
                  > something similar.

                  I do to, but this is made up of around 70 stills. Blending with such
                  software would take ages..... (I think, I've not used Enblend yet)

                  Pete
                  www.sphereworks.co.uk
                • Rodolpho Pajuaba
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 11, 2008
                    The panos are amazing, very good, as we always expect from you, but I
                    really liked the "tripod cap", it´s a different and creative way to use
                    a christmas ball.Congratulations.
                    Regards,
                    Rodolpho Pajuaba

                    sphereworks wrote:
                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > Thought some of you might be interested to see the images I've been
                    > working on recently of an Eco house for sale. I've produced some VR
                    > and Still images to assist marketing of the house. Also I took an
                    > object image around the house. Going to attempt this again soon with
                    > a monopod to keep the height of the camera the same.
                    >
                    > http://www.sphereworks.co.uk/tour_demo/lyneham_coombe_tour.php
                    >

                    > Best Wishes,
                    >
                    > Pete
                    > Sphereworks Ltd
                    > www.sphereworks.co.uk

                  • John Houghton
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 11, 2008
                      Generally very nice panos but I think the interiors are far too warmly
                      balanced - or was it painted in cream/yellow throughout? I don't much
                      care for the tripod cap, though, which is somewhat large. There's a
                      very minor stitching error on the wall cupboard in the hall, which
                      would be easy to correct.

                      John

                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "sphereworks" <sphereworkspete@...>

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 11, 2008
                        sphereworks schrieb:
                        >> IMO the images themselves
                        >> should be enhanced with a greater dynamic range, using Enblend or
                        >> something similar.
                        >>
                        > I do to, but this is made up of around 70 stills. Blending with such
                        > software would take ages..... (I think, I've not used Enblend yet)
                        oh, sorry -- of course I meant ENFUSE, not Enblend! You should give it a
                        try: http://software.bergmark.com/enfuseGUI/. It doesn't necessarily
                        take that long, depending on your machine, but IMO the results are
                        literally another dimension.
                        Plus: It's free, it's convenient. I wouldn't want to live without once
                        I've tried it :-)

                        Regards, Philipp
                      • sphereworks
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 11, 2008
                          I downloaded 'Enfuse' a few months ago as everyone was going on about
                          it lots here. Haven't had the chance to go through it yet. I've
                          been using Photomatix for some time now though not always keen on the
                          results I get from it.

                          Pete
                          www.sphereworks.co.uk

                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Philipp B. Koch" <pk@...> wrote:

                          > sphereworks schrieb:
                          > >> IMO the images themselves
                          > >> should be enhanced with a greater dynamic range, using Enblend
                          or
                          > >> something similar.
                          > >>
                          > > I do to, but this is made up of around 70 stills. Blending with
                          such
                          > > software would take ages..... (I think, I've not used Enblend
                          yet)
                          > oh, sorry -- of course I meant ENFUSE, not Enblend! You should give
                          it a
                          > try: http://software.bergmark.com/enfuseGUI/. It doesn't
                          necessarily
                          > take that long, depending on your machine, but IMO the results are
                          > literally another dimension.
                          > Plus: It's free, it's convenient. I wouldn't want to live without
                          once
                          > I've tried it :-)
                          >
                          > Regards, Philipp

                        • sphereworks
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 11, 2008
                            Hi John,

                            Thanks for pointing out the stitching error, I've corrected that
                            now. The paint was slightly off white, I do try and keep some warmth
                            in the images - though I will have a look through the images again.
                            The cap is a simular size to the hole I'm covering up, wouldn't want
                            to make it any larger. Personly I don't like caps really, but I'm
                            not getting paid to edit the floor shot in for our real estate work
                            so a cap it is.

                            Cheers,

                            Pete
                            www.sphereworks.co.uk

                            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "John Houghton" <j.houghton@...>

                            Message 13 of 21 , Jun 11, 2008
                              Nikon D200 + 10.5mm.

                              Cheers,

                              Pete
                              www.sphereworks.co.uk

                              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Vincèn <mailing@...> wrote:

                              > Very nice :) What camera and lens did you use ?
                              >
                              > Thanks
                              >
                              > Vincèn
                              >
                              > Le 11 juin 08 à 15:09, sphereworks a écrit :
                              >
                              > > Hi,
                              > >
                              > > Thought some of you might be interested to see the images I've
                              been
                              > > working on recently of an Eco house for sale. I've produced some
                              VR
                              > > and Still images to assist marketing of the house. Also I took an
                              > > object image around the house. Going to attempt this again soon
                              with
                              > > a monopod to keep the height of the camera the same.
                              > >
                              > > http://www.sphereworks.co.uk/tour_demo/lyneham_coombe_tour.php
                              > >
                              > > The house is quite impressive. The frame of the house is
                              constructed
                              > > from laminated timber beams, clad with red cedar and roofed in
                              cedar
                              > > shingles. They say this method of construction and choice of
                              > > materials will lock in hundreds of tonnes of carbon for the life
                              of
                              > > the building, which would otherwise be dissipated into the
                              atmosphere
                              > > in the form of carbon dioxide (greenhouse gas). The house has no
                              > > mains water. Has two separate water systems, a potable system
                              > > providing water for drinking and washing, and a 'grey' (recycled)
                              > > water system for toilets, garden watering, car washing etc. The
                              > > water comes from two wells and water collected from the roof. The
                              > > house has its own mini sewerage plant which they say is cleaner
                              that
                              > > water in the local rivers.
                              > >
                              > > Let me know what you think.
                              > >
                              > > Best Wishes,
                              > >
                              > > Pete
                              > > Sphereworks Ltd
                              > > www.sphereworks.co.uk

                            • Vincèn
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 11, 2008
                                oky thanks a lot Pete for details :)

                                Vincèn

                                Le 11 juin 08 à 17:10, sphereworks a écrit :

                                > Nikon D200 + 10.5mm.
                                >
                                > Cheers,
                                >
                                > Pete
                                > www.sphereworks.co.uk
                                >
                                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Vincèn <mailing@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Very nice :) What camera and lens did you use ?
                                > >
                                > > Thanks
                                > >
                                > > Vincèn
                                > >
                                > > Le 11 juin 08 à 15:09, sphereworks a écrit :
                                > >
                                > > > Hi,
                                > > >
                                > > > Thought some of you might be interested to see the images I've
                                > been
                                > > > working on recently of an Eco house for sale. I've produced some
                                > VR
                                > > > and Still images to assist marketing of the house. Also I took an
                                > > > object image around the house. Going to attempt this again soon
                                > with
                                > > > a monopod to keep the height of the camera the same.
                                > > >
                                > > > http://www.sphereworks.co.uk/tour_demo/lyneham_coombe_tour.php
                                > > >
                                > > > The house is quite impressive. The frame of the house is
                                > constructed
                                > > > from laminated timber beams, clad with red cedar and roofed in
                                > cedar
                                > > > shingles. They say this method of construction and choice of
                                > > > materials will lock in hundreds of tonnes of carbon for the life
                                > of
                                > > > the building, which would otherwise be dissipated into the
                                > atmosphere
                                > > > in the form of carbon dioxide (greenhouse gas). The house has no
                                > > > mains water. Has two separate water systems, a potable system
                                > > > providing water for drinking and washing, and a 'grey' (recycled)
                                > > > water system for toilets, garden watering, car washing etc. The
                                > > > water comes from two wells and water collected from the roof. The
                                > > > house has its own mini sewerage plant which they say is cleaner
                                > that
                                > > > water in the local rivers.
                                > > >
                                > > > Let me know what you think.
                                > > >
                                > > > Best Wishes,
                                > > >
                                > > > Pete
                                > > > Sphereworks Ltd
                                > > > www.sphereworks.co.uk

                              • Ken Warner
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jun 11, 2008
                                  Tried EnfuseGUI on Windows2000; old nVidia card.

                                  Didn't even start. See the attached JPEG screen capture.

                                  Philipp B. Koch wrote:
                                  > sphereworks schrieb:
                                  >
                                  >>>IMO the images themselves
                                  >>>should be enhanced with a greater dynamic range, using Enblend or
                                  >>>something similar.
                                  >>>

                                  >>I do to, but this is made up of around 70 stills. Blending with such
                                  >>software would take ages..... (I think, I've not used Enblend yet)
                                  >
                                  > oh, sorry -- of course I meant ENFUSE, not Enblend! You should give it a
                                  > try: http://software.bergmark.com/enfuseGUI/. It doesn't necessarily
                                  > take that long, depending on your machine, but IMO the results are
                                  > literally another dimension.
                                  > Plus: It's free, it's convenient. I wouldn't want to live without once
                                  > I've tried it :-)
                                  >
                                  > Regards, Philipp

                                • sphereworks
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jun 11, 2008
                                    I've removed some of the yellow tone from the inturnal VR's and
                                    uploaded them. Thank you for mentioning this, at a second look the
                                    images did have a yellow look to them. Much better now, especialy
                                    the kitchen shot. You might have to clear your temp internet files
                                    to view them, my computer is still showing the old ones.

                                    wrote:

                                    > Generally very nice panos but I think the interiors are far too
                                    warmly
                                    > balanced - or was it painted in cream/yellow throughout? I don't
                                    much
                                    > care for the tripod cap, though, which is somewhat large. There's
                                    > very minor stitching error on the wall cupboard in the hall, which
                                    > would be easy to correct.
                                    >
                                    > John
                                    >
                                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "sphereworks"
                                    <sphereworkspete@>
                                    > wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Hi,
                                    > >
                                    > > Thought some of you might be interested to see the images I've
                                    been
                                    > > working on recently of an Eco house for sale.

                                  • Bernhard Vogl
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jun 11, 2008
                                      > Quite impressive. But without a doubt, keeping the camera height equal
                                      > between the single frames
                                      > of your around-house-vr would improve the viewing experience a lot.

                                      If think, the object movie works pretty well.
                                      Concerning the camera height: You may try to re-align the "center point"
                                      of the house to the same level. This could be done by some creative
                                      mis-use of PTGui and should give a little smoother rotation...

                                      Best regards
                                      Bernhard
                                    • sphereworks
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jun 12, 2008
                                        Hi Bernhard,

                                        Are you sugesting I edit each image or is there a way of loading them
                                        all at once? I will have a fiddle with it later. If you're
                                        sugesting I edit them individualy I could probably do this in
                                        photoshop with layers.

                                        Cheers,

                                        Pete
                                        www.sphereworks.co.uk

                                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bernhard Vogl <bvogl@...> wrote:

                                        > > Quite impressive. But without a doubt, keeping the camera height
                                        equal
                                        > > between the single frames
                                        > > of your around-house-vr would improve the viewing experience a
                                        lot.

                                        > If think, the object movie works pretty well.
                                        > Concerning the camera height: You may try to re-align the "center
                                        point"
                                        > of the house to the same level. This could be done by some creative
                                        > mis-use of PTGui and should give a little smoother rotation...
                                        >
                                        > Best regards
                                        > Bernhard

                                      • Marc Huff
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jun 12, 2008
                                          If I could offer some suggestions with the object VRs....

                                          I've done these types of shoots before.

                                          Keep the camera as level as humanly possible... even get a level of some
                                          kind with the camera.

                                          Take one of your focusing points in your camera's viewfinder and pick a
                                          point on the house to use as a place to pivot around.

                                          If you use these two principals, it will help the object VR a LOT.

                                          _Marc Huff
                                          WHdigital, Inc.

                                        • paul womack
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jun 13, 2008
                                            Marc Huff wrote:
                                            > If I could offer some suggestions with the object VRs....
                                            >
                                            > I've done these types of shoots before.
                                            >
                                            > Keep the camera as level as humanly possible... even get a level of some
                                            > kind with the camera.

                                            Just an top-of-my-head idea; if one added a "suitable"
                                            weight to the bottom of a monopod, and "hangs it"
                                            the camera becomes level (or at least repeatable)
                                            due to the monopod/weight acting as a plumb bob.

                                            BugBear
                                          • sphereworks
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jun 13, 2008
                                              Hum.... interesting idea, I might try that. Was thinking of popping
                                              back their today providing the weather keeps up. Last time the sun
                                              was going in and out every couple minuets. I had other photography to
                                              be getting on with so didn't spend much time on it.

                                              Pete
                                              www.sphereworks.co.uk