More pixels in imgs ???

  • Daniel Lemos
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 7 6:52 PM
      Friends I have made many changes since I started to join, I hope I can always help!

      When used 2 shots of 180, with a canon 5D and a sigma of 8mm and had
      good results, but did not have an image with the size satisfactory, no
      more than 5500x2700, then tried to take more shots the first 4 and then
      6 but the images remain final with the same final size using PTgui,
      where I am wrong?

      Tanks !!!

      http://br.mail.yahoo.com/

    • bohonus
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 7 8:44 PM
        You are using the same lens. You won't get an increase in overall resolution of the final
        panorama unless you use a lens with a smaller field of view. Thus, requiring more images to
        create a panorama resulting in an increase in resolution.

        > When used 2 shots of 180, with a canon 5D and a sigma of 8mm and had
        > good results, but did not have an image with the size satisfactory, no
        > more than 5500x2700, then tried to take more shots the first 4 and then
        > 6 but the images remain final with the same final size using PTgui,
        > where I am wrong?
      • aiwetir
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 7 9:54 PM
          another way to look at it is that the height of your image stays the
          same no matter how many images around you take.

          On 07 Jun 2008, at 20:44, bohonus wrote:

          > You are using the same lens. You won't get an increase in overall
          > resolution of the final
          > panorama unless you use a lens with a smaller field of view. Thus,
          > requiring more images to
          > create a panorama resulting in an increase in resolution.
          >
          > > When used 2 shots of 180, with a canon 5D and a sigma of 8mm and had
          > > good results, but did not have an image with the size
          > satisfactory, no
          > > more than 5500x2700, then tried to take more shots the first 4 and
          > then
          > > 6 but the images remain final with the same final size using PTgui,
          > > where I am wrong?

        • John Houghton
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 7 11:14 PM
            Daniel, Whether you use 2,4 or 6 shots, the level of detail captured in
            each shot will be the same. The main difference will be that you are
            duplicating data in bigger or smaller overlaps. To increase the
            resolution, it's necessary to use a lens with a narrower angle of
            view. This will have the effect of magnifying the view recorded in
            each shot, enabling a higher level of detail to be recorded, albeit
            requiring more shots to cover the full 360x180 view. PTGui will then
            generate a correspondingly larger output panorama at maximum size.

            John

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Lemos <danmhz@...> wrote:

            > When used 2 shots of 180, with a canon 5D and a sigma of 8mm and had
            > good results, but did not have an image with the size satisfactory, no
            > more than 5500x2700, then tried to take more shots the first 4 and
            then
            > 6 but the images remain final with the same final size using PTgui,
            > where I am wrong?
          • Daniel Lemos
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 8 7:20 AM
              But I can continue using the 8mm + a normal lens as a 28-70mm alternating the shots or I will have to use ONLY the 28-70mm?

              You are using the same lens. You won't get an increase in overall resolution of the final

              panorama unless you use a lens with a smaller field of view. Thus, requiring more images to

              create a panorama resulting in an increase in resolution.

              > When used 2 shots of 180, with a canon 5D and a sigma of 8mm and had

              > good results, but did not have an image with the size satisfactory, no

              > more than 5500x2700, then tried to take more shots the first 4 and then

              > 6 but the images remain final with the same final size using PTgui,

              > where I am wrong?

              http://br.mail.yahoo.com/

            • Fernando Chaves
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 8 8:23 AM
                Hi Daniel,
                You have to do all the images with the same lens.
                It's all about degres/pixels ratio.
                Sigma 8 will produce a circle image with 180 degres on a sensor, say
                2000x3000 pixels, (actually 2000x2000 fisheye image).
                On the same sensor another lens will print a rectilinear 90 degres image.
                So you get a 90 degres image with 2000x3000 pixels and, of course, you
                need many 2000x3000 images to cover the same field of view you have
                covered with a single fisheye image.
                Best regards,
                Fernando

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 8 9:03 AM
                  On Sunday, June 08, 2008 at 7:20, Daniel Lemos wrote:

                  > But I can continue using the 8mm + a normal lens as a 28-70mm alternating the
                  > shots or I will have to use ONLY the 28-70mm?

                  You can sperimpose higher resolution images on a low resolution
                  panorama, but this is definitely an advanced technique.

                  The maximum resolutions you can obtain for a particular DSLR-fisheye-
                  combination can be found here:
                  http://wiki.panotools.org/Spherical_resolution

                  best regards
                • Daniel Lemos
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 8 7:54 PM
                    What would be ideal lens to make it a great pano, larger than 8000mp with 4 to 6 shots?

                    http://br.mail.yahoo.com/

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 9 1:20 AM
                      Daniel Lemos-2 wrote:

                      > What would be ideal lens to make it a great pano, larger than 8000mp with
                      > 4 to 6 shots?

                      You certainly don't mean 8000 megapixels but 8000 pixels wide, do you?

                      With the EOS 5D? From http://wiki.panotools.org/Spherical_resolution you can
                      see, that this would have to be a 15mm or 16mm fisheye lens. Go for the
                      Zenitar 16mm, the Canon 15mm fisheye or for the Tokina 10-17mm fisheye zoom.
                      10mm or 10.5mm would give you slightly less than 8000 pixels equirectangular
                      width.

                      best regards
                      Erik

                      -----