Re: [PanoToolsNG] panos with people (under Linux/hugin)

  • paul womack
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 4, 2008
      paul womack wrote:
      (reponse below)

      > I've just taken a pano sequence. There were several
      > people moving about during the shooting.
      >
      > In some cases I took multiple exposures in a single
      > position to get "whole" people in shot (as opposed
      > to a person on a picture boundary).
      >
      > So I *think* I've got all the image information
      > I need.
      >
      > I assume my core editing task is to render data areas
      > I don't want transparent.
      >
      > How do I proceed in Hugin? Do I stitch and then
      > edit the (cropped) mapped tiffs?
      > (which may be difficult - I'm not sure Gimp
      > handles cropped tiff correctly).
      >
      > Or should I remove data I don't want from the
      > un-mapped images?
      >
      > Or is there another option?
      >
      > I'm working on Linux, so Hugin and Gimp are
      > my main tools, with command line image processing
      > via imagemagic and netpbm as my backup.

      In case someone else searches the archive, I decide
      to proceed by turning my source JPGs into tiffs,
      and then removing (making transparent) the unwanted
      areas (normally duplicate people) in Gimp
      via an Alpha channel (set in the Layer dialog).

      I also need to resequence some of the images in
      the pano to get my preferred shots to be
      dominant (i.e. go on top).

      I iterated a few times via the panorama
      preview to work out what edits to make.

      I did it this way (rather than editing the
      mapped tiffs) for two reasons

      1) I can now re-map-and-blend at different sizes
      2) Gimp doesn't handle cropped tiffs.

      Feature request for Hugin; could there be
      a reload(refresh?) changed source image.

      It was irksome to have to quit and restart
      hugin to see the result of a source edit.

      BugBear
    • Bruno Postle
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 4, 2008
        On Wed 04-Jun-2008 at 14:57 +0100, paul womack wrote:

        >Feature request for Hugin; could there be
        >a reload(refresh?) changed source image.
        >
        >It was irksome to have to quit and restart
        >hugin to see the result of a source edit.

        This is a good suggestion, it would be really useful if you could
        add it to the hugin tracker:

        https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=77506

        --
        Bruno