Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: failed 360 panomra - help required

  • crane@ukonline.co.uk
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 3, 2008
      Quoting Erik Krause <erik.krause@...>:
      again.

      > > http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/bugbear33/workshop.jpg
      >
      > Nice old smoothing planes you have!
      where is the jar of rabbit skin glue ?

      regards

      mick

      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 3, 2008
        On Tuesday, June 03, 2008 at 19:08, crane@... wrote:

        > > > http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/bugbear33/workshop.jpg
        > >
        > > Nice old smoothing planes you have!
        > where is the jar of rabbit skin glue ?

        In this panorama it's partly hidden behind the ladder:
        http://pano.erik-krause.de/ateliers/werkstatt.jpg

        That was my workshop shortly after we moved to the new rooms - its
        far messier now...

        best regards
      • Bruno Postle
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 3, 2008
          On Tue 03-Jun-2008 at 09:54 +0100, paul womack wrote:
          >I've just taken a pano sequence. There were several
          >people moving about during the shooting.
          >
          >In some cases I took multiple exposures in a single
          >position to get "whole" people in shot (as opposed
          >to a person on a picture boundary).

          >I assume my core editing task is to render data areas
          >I don't want transparent.

          Yes, in though in practice you can be quite approximate about this.
          Creating transparent areas for enblend has two purposes:

          1. Indicating groups of pixels that you don't want contributing to
          the final blended image. With enough blend levels is is conceivable
          that every available source pixel in every photo contributes to
          every pixel in the output.

          2. Guiding the blend seam, which is actually a path, this seam is
          placed as far away from transparent areas as possible, so just a
          single transparent pixel can move the seam significantly.

          >How do I proceed in Hugin? Do I stitch and then
          >edit the (cropped) mapped tiffs?
          >(which may be difficult - I'm not sure Gimp
          >handles cropped tiff correctly).

          Don't save cropped tiffs, as far as I remember cinepaint is the
          only tool that handles them properly.

          >Or should I remove data I don't want from the
          >un-mapped images?

          You can do that too, but it is very difficult to see which bits you
          need to edit without seeing them in a stack.

          >Or is there another option?

          If you are feeling adventurous then you can do it in Inkscape:

          http://hugin.sourceforge.net/tutorials/enblend-svg/

          ..though hopefully this this summer, the google summer of code
          'masking' project will make all this redundant.

          --
          Bruno
        • paul womack
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 4, 2008
            crane@... wrote:
            > Quoting Erik Krause <erik.krause@...>:
            > again.
            >>> http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/bugbear33/workshop.jpg
            >> Nice old smoothing planes you have!
            > where is the jar of rabbit skin glue ?

            Hidden behind other stuff on the shelves.

            BugBear (with several old tools)
          • paul womack
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 4, 2008
              Erik Krause wrote:
              > In this panorama it's partly hidden behind the ladder:
              > http://pano.erik-krause.de/ateliers/werkstatt.jpg

              Ah - hah! A luthier!

              BugBear
            • paul womack
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 4, 2008
                Erik Krause wrote:
                > On Tuesday, June 03, 2008 at 16:27, paul womack wrote:
                >
                >> I've used "panorama" before,
                >
                > My versions of hugin (the oldest is 0.7 beta 5) don't have "Panorama"
                > :-( Which version do you use?

                About gives me 0.7.0

                >> My pano is being wrapped top-to-bottom, and opposed to the nice 360
                >> wrap round I want.
                >> So - how do I control this?
                >
                > First choose cylindrical. Then try "Straighten" in Pano Preview. If
                > this doesn't work, set pitch to 0.0 for all images, then optimize
                > again.
                >
                >> http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/bugbear33/workshop.jpg
                >
                > Nice old smoothing planes you have!

                Why, thank you.

                BugBear
              • paul womack
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 4, 2008
                  paul womack wrote:
                  > Erik Krause wrote:
                  >> On Tuesday, June 03, 2008 at 16:27, paul womack wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> I've used "panorama" before,
                  >> My versions of hugin (the oldest is 0.7 beta 5) don't have "Panorama"
                  >> :-( Which version do you use?
                  >
                  > About gives me 0.7.0
                  >
                  >>> My pano is being wrapped top-to-bottom, and opposed to the nice 360
                  >>> wrap round I want.
                  >>> So - how do I control this?

                  It appears my optimiser had got stuck in a "loop"

                  resetting all the images to be 0,0,0, and then setting
                  roll to 270 (to allow for the portrait mode
                  when taking the shots) and re-optimising
                  suddenly gave me what I wanted.

                  Thanks to all who helped.

                  BugBear
                • paul womack
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 4, 2008
                    paul womack wrote:
                    (reponse below)

                    > I've just taken a pano sequence. There were several
                    > people moving about during the shooting.
                    >
                    > In some cases I took multiple exposures in a single
                    > position to get "whole" people in shot (as opposed
                    > to a person on a picture boundary).
                    >
                    > So I *think* I've got all the image information
                    > I need.
                    >
                    > I assume my core editing task is to render data areas
                    > I don't want transparent.
                    >
                    > How do I proceed in Hugin? Do I stitch and then
                    > edit the (cropped) mapped tiffs?
                    > (which may be difficult - I'm not sure Gimp
                    > handles cropped tiff correctly).
                    >
                    > Or should I remove data I don't want from the
                    > un-mapped images?
                    >
                    > Or is there another option?
                    >
                    > I'm working on Linux, so Hugin and Gimp are
                    > my main tools, with command line image processing
                    > via imagemagic and netpbm as my backup.

                    In case someone else searches the archive, I decide
                    to proceed by turning my source JPGs into tiffs,
                    and then removing (making transparent) the unwanted
                    areas (normally duplicate people) in Gimp
                    via an Alpha channel (set in the Layer dialog).

                    I also need to resequence some of the images in
                    the pano to get my preferred shots to be
                    dominant (i.e. go on top).

                    I iterated a few times via the panorama
                    preview to work out what edits to make.

                    I did it this way (rather than editing the
                    mapped tiffs) for two reasons

                    1) I can now re-map-and-blend at different sizes
                    2) Gimp doesn't handle cropped tiffs.

                    Feature request for Hugin; could there be
                    a reload(refresh?) changed source image.

                    It was irksome to have to quit and restart
                    hugin to see the result of a source edit.

                    BugBear
                  • Bruno Postle
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 4, 2008
                      On Wed 04-Jun-2008 at 14:57 +0100, paul womack wrote:

                      >Feature request for Hugin; could there be
                      >a reload(refresh?) changed source image.
                      >
                      >It was irksome to have to quit and restart
                      >hugin to see the result of a source edit.

                      This is a good suggestion, it would be really useful if you could
                      add it to the hugin tracker:

                      https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=77506

                      --
                      Bruno