Re: The return of IPIX

  • johncharlesriley
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
      Hmm, so Ford Oxaal is now IPIX? Did not know that. I am also struggling to think what
      IPIX/PictoSphere has that Realviz/Autodesk could want to license. Anybody understand
      what that is all about?

      I have never heard a single person on this list or elsewhere say that they use Ford's
      PictoStitch Pro. Has anyone here even tried it? Anyone use it?

      John

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Tamas Varga" <tvarga@...> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > just to let you know that IPIX is not dead
      > http://www.securityinfowatch.com/online/The-Latest-for-Manufacturers/IPIX-readies-
      for-a-comeback/15897SIW304

      > and "Welcome to PictoSphere™, inventors of spherical photography."
      > http://www.pictosphere.com/
      >
      > Now we are a more relaxed community of panographers / VRists that we
      > know who is the deity, though we will not worship them :-)
      >
      > My best
      > Tamas
      >
      > http://www.panograph.hu
      > http://www.budapest360.hu
      > http://www.beijing360.cn
      > http://www.worldpanoramastock.com

    • Fernando Chaves
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
        Hi,
        It's an old and very, very, long story.
        Part of Oxaal's version can be read here:

        http://www.pictosphere.com/kwx/patents-more.html

        he claims to be the inventor of immersive image. And he patented his
        invention in the USA, around 2000.
        Then some people from Ipix (his former partner or boss) has also patented
        Oxaal's invention. There was a law suit Oxaal X Ipix.
        Oxaal won Ipix...but Ipix has lots of money and starts suing or threatening
        people from USA, Europe, Australia doing panos or immersive images (>180°)
        using fisheye lenses. They sue Helmut Dersch, making shut down he's site and
        email list.
        And so on. Sounds like a nightmare or a tale.

        Fernando Chaves
        1 514 667-6281
        1 514 467-9800

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
          On 04/06/2008, at 3:38 AM, johncharlesriley wrote:
          > Hmm, so Ford Oxaal is now IPIX? Did not know that.

          ROFL!!! I nearly fell off my chair when I read that story! Well, well
          how the worm has turned.

          > I am also struggling to think what
          > IPIX/PictoSphere has that Realviz/Autodesk could want to license.
          > Anybody understand
          > what that is all about?

          Really short synopsis without digging through years of old mail ...
          Ford (when much younger and inexperienced in the ways of "big-
          business") took his (fortunately patented) idea to Ipix (or
          TeleRobotics International (TRI) as they were called at the time) and
          gave them a demo. They said (effectively) nice but don't call us
          we'll call you. Thereafter they came out with their "own" product
          which (surprise, surprise) was what Ford had basically shown them.

          http://tinyurl.com/3sczng

          There ensued a lengthy, costly law suit for patent infringement which
          took years (as these things do) during which Ipoo (er sorry, Ipix ;-)
          built their empire, sued Helmut (and everyone else they thought they
          could bluff) and basically single-handedly dragged VR tours back into
          the dark ages with their poor quality, cheap prices and crazy
          licencing scheme, in the fall-out driving a lot of good pano-graphers
          into other fields to survive.

          Then as the court case drew to it's inevitable conclusion, they
          basically filleted their businesses, selling off parts of it left
          right and center (oh and all this time they kept getting heaps of
          investors to sink capital in to keep them afloat).

          Ford won, they agreed to "licence" his technology, but by now they
          were in deep do-do.

          I seem to recall not that long ago (so probably a few years back??)
          Realviz licencing something from someone ... details are hazy, would
          have to dig through old mail ...

          I completely missed the part where Ford got his hands (as CEO) on the
          Ipix business, but there is poetic justice for you!

          Does this portend anything for us? Good or "evil" ... dunno. Ford has
          always insisted he was not interested in pursuing people the way Ipoo
          did ... but that was when he was younger and less experienced in the
          ways of "big business" ... I think I wish him well, I certainly
          appreciate the irony!

          Cheers,
          KathyW.

        • crane@ukonline.co.uk
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
            Quoting Kathy Wheeler <kathyw@...>:

            > On 04/06/2008, at 3:38 AM, johncharlesriley wrote:
            > > Hmm, so Ford Oxaal is now IPIX? Did not know that.
            >
            > ROFL!!! I nearly fell off my chair when I read that story! Well, well
            > how the worm has turned.

            I just remember reading he got stiffed by the bad guys( what does that mean )
            I think he is welcome aboard.

            regards

            mick

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
              'got stiffed' means 'not compensated faiirly'

              On 03 Jun 2008, at 17:44, crane@... wrote:

              > Quoting Kathy Wheeler <kathyw@home. albury.net. au>:
              >

              > > On 04/06/2008, at 3:38 AM, johncharlesriley wrote:
              > > > Hmm, so Ford Oxaal is now IPIX? Did not know that.
              > >
              > > ROFL!!! I nearly fell off my chair when I read that story! Well,
              > well
              > > how the worm has turned.
              >
              > I just remember reading he got stiffed by the bad guys( what does
              > that mean )
              > I think he is welcome aboard.
              >
              > regards
              >
              > mick

            • Jook Leung
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
                Along the way I've met Ford few times and also talk on the phone with
                him. He has a cowboy personality with a wiry sense of humor and
                choses to live in a small rural town in upstate New York with his
                family. During Pictosphere he was like a one man shop along with his
                lawyers fighting ipix. In the end he took ipix home on a plate. The
                recent news with the licensing deals with Grandeye and Autodesk shows
                he is a mighty shrew business guy.

                With ipix now a Minds Eye View subsidiary, he's a 2 man operation
                with the former head of ipix software engineering. They do customer
                support for existing ipix customers and is moving into 360 video for
                entertainment venues.

                Here's a 360VR of Ford Oxaal with his ipix 6mm fisheye:
                http://360vr.com/Ford_Oxaal/

                Jook

                On Jun 3, 2008, at 1:38 PM, johncharlesriley wrote:

                > Hmm, so Ford Oxaal is now IPIX? Did not know that. I am also
                > struggling to think what
                > IPIX/PictoSphere has that Realviz/Autodesk could want to license.
                > Anybody understand
                > what that is all about?
                >
                > I have never heard a single person on this list or elsewhere say
                > that they use Ford's
                > PictoStitch Pro. Has anyone here even tried it? Anyone use it?
                >
                > John
                >
                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Tamas Varga" <tvarga@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi All,
                > >
                > > just to let you know that IPIX is not dead
                > > http://www.securityinfowatch.com/online/The-Latest-for-
                > Manufacturers/IPIX-readies-
                > for-a-comeback/15897SIW304
                > >
                > > and "Welcome to PictoSphere�, inventors of spherical photography."
                > > http://www.pictosphere.com/
                > >
                > > Now we are a more relaxed community of panographers / VRists that we
                > > know who is the deity, though we will not worship them :-)
                > >
                > > My best
                > > Tamas
                > >
                > > http://www.panograph.hu
                > > http://www.budapest360.hu
                > > http://www.beijing360.cn
                > > http://www.worldpanoramastock.com

                Jook Leung Photography
                360VR Images - 360 degree Panoramic photography
                Web: http://360vr.com
                E-mail: jook@...
                Mobile: 201 679 6177

              • John Riley
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
                  On Jun 3, 2008, at 10:16 PM, Jook Leung wrote:

                  > Here's a 360VR of Ford Oxaal with his ipix 6mm fisheye:
                  > http://360vr.com/Ford_Oxaal/

                  LOL! Seeing him holding that lens immediately made me recall the old
                  Burger King advertisement slogan: "It takes two hands to handle a
                  Whopper."

                  Thanks for the history review from some of you, but I actually know
                  all of that. I just didn't quite grasp what Realviz could want from
                  IPIX/Oxaal. They already apparently have a license to use two
                  circular fisheyes to make a pano, so what else could they want?

                  And seriously, has anyone ever tried out Ford's PictoStitch Pro
                  software?

                  John Riley
                  johnriley@...
                  jriley@...