failed 360 panomra - help required

  • paul womack
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 3, 2008
      Further to my people question, I've imported and
      "control pointed" my 22 images in Hugin

      I have around 6-8 control points between
      each pair in the sequence.

      Optimisation proceded OK, with a maximum error or 4.5

      But stitching is a disaster.

      The projection is panorama, 360 horizontal, 168 vertical.

      The lens is around 38 mm wide, and the shots were
      taken in portrait mode.

      I simply cannot understand what it's done.

      Can anyone interpret this image?

      http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/bugbear33/photo_tech/360.jpg

      BugBear
    • Sebastien Perez-Duarte
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 3, 2008
        On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 4:42 PM, paul womack <pwomack@...> wrote:
        > The projection is panorama, 360 horizontal, 168 vertical.

        This looks like a Transverse Mercator projection. Try equirectangular
        or cylindrical instead.

        Best,

        Seb
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 3, 2008
          On Tuesday, June 03, 2008 at 15:42, paul womack wrote:

          > Can anyone interpret this image?
          >
          > http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/bugbear33/photo_tech/360.jpg

          That's obviously the wrong projection. Choose "projection (f):
          cylindrical" on Stitcher tab...

          best regards
        • paul womack
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 3, 2008
            Erik Krause wrote:
            > On Tuesday, June 03, 2008 at 15:42, paul womack wrote:
            >
            >> Can anyone interpret this image?
            >>
            >> http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/bugbear33/photo_tech/360.jpg
            >
            > That's obviously the wrong projection. Choose "projection (f):
            > cylindrical" on Stitcher tab...

            I've used "panorama" before, to get a "wrapped" cylinder
            on a 11x2 pano of my workshop:

            http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/bugbear33/workshop.jpg

            (it's actually broken in two there, since photobucket
            has a 1024x768 maximum size limit).

            My new pano (a 22 shot single row)
            is, I think, failing at the optimise stage:
            despite a maximum error of 1.19 pixels,
            I'm getting strong variation in yaw, pitch AND roll.

            yaw varies from -16 to 154
            pitch from -86 to 40
            and roll from -180 to 180

            That doesn't sound right to me.

            BugBear
          • Uri Cogan
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 3, 2008
              paul womack wrote:

              > I've just taken a pano sequence. There were several
              > people moving about during the shooting.
              >
              > In some cases I took multiple exposures in a single
              > position to get "whole" people in shot (as opposed
              > to a person on a picture boundary).
              >
              > So I *think* I've got all the image information
              > I need.
              >
              > I assume my core editing task is to render data areas
              > I don't want transparent.
              >
              > How do I proceed in Hugin? Do I stitch and then
              > edit the (cropped) mapped tiffs?
              > (which may be difficult - I'm not sure Gimp
              > handles cropped tiff correctly).

              I'm not familiar with hugin; I use PTGui, but the procedure for removing
              "ghosts" may be similar:

              I tell PTGui to output the equirectangular image as a complete image,
              plus a set of separate layers, where each of the segments is accessible
              in Photoshop. This allows me to mask unwanted areas and as a side
              benefit, to correct minor stitching errors.

              I hope this helps.

            • paul womack
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 3, 2008
                paul womack wrote:
                > Erik Krause wrote:
                >> On Tuesday, June 03, 2008 at 15:42, paul womack wrote:
                >>
                >>> Can anyone interpret this image?
                >>>
                >>> http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/bugbear33/photo_tech/360.jpg

                By removing images, I think I've spotted the problem.

                My pano is being wrapped top-to-bottom, and opposed to the
                nice 360 wrap round I want.

                So - how do I control this?

                BugBear
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 3, 2008
                  On Tuesday, June 03, 2008 at 16:27, paul womack wrote:

                  > I've used "panorama" before,

                  My versions of hugin (the oldest is 0.7 beta 5) don't have "Panorama"
                  :-( Which version do you use?

                  > My pano is being wrapped top-to-bottom, and opposed to the nice 360
                  > wrap round I want.
                  > So - how do I control this?

                  First choose cylindrical. Then try "Straighten" in Pano Preview. If
                  this doesn't work, set pitch to 0.0 for all images, then optimize
                  again.

                  > http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/bugbear33/workshop.jpg

                  Nice old smoothing planes you have!

                  best regards
                • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 3, 2008
                    Quoting Erik Krause <erik.krause@...>:
                    again.

                    > > http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/bugbear33/workshop.jpg
                    >
                    > Nice old smoothing planes you have!
                    where is the jar of rabbit skin glue ?

                    regards

                    mick

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 3, 2008
                      On Tuesday, June 03, 2008 at 19:08, crane@... wrote:

                      > > > http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/bugbear33/workshop.jpg
                      > >
                      > > Nice old smoothing planes you have!
                      > where is the jar of rabbit skin glue ?

                      In this panorama it's partly hidden behind the ladder:
                      http://pano.erik-krause.de/ateliers/werkstatt.jpg

                      That was my workshop shortly after we moved to the new rooms - its
                      far messier now...

                      best regards
                    • Bruno Postle
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 3, 2008
                        On Tue 03-Jun-2008 at 09:54 +0100, paul womack wrote:
                        >I've just taken a pano sequence. There were several
                        >people moving about during the shooting.
                        >
                        >In some cases I took multiple exposures in a single
                        >position to get "whole" people in shot (as opposed
                        >to a person on a picture boundary).

                        >I assume my core editing task is to render data areas
                        >I don't want transparent.

                        Yes, in though in practice you can be quite approximate about this.
                        Creating transparent areas for enblend has two purposes:

                        1. Indicating groups of pixels that you don't want contributing to
                        the final blended image. With enough blend levels is is conceivable
                        that every available source pixel in every photo contributes to
                        every pixel in the output.

                        2. Guiding the blend seam, which is actually a path, this seam is
                        placed as far away from transparent areas as possible, so just a
                        single transparent pixel can move the seam significantly.

                        >How do I proceed in Hugin? Do I stitch and then
                        >edit the (cropped) mapped tiffs?
                        >(which may be difficult - I'm not sure Gimp
                        >handles cropped tiff correctly).

                        Don't save cropped tiffs, as far as I remember cinepaint is the
                        only tool that handles them properly.

                        >Or should I remove data I don't want from the
                        >un-mapped images?

                        You can do that too, but it is very difficult to see which bits you
                        need to edit without seeing them in a stack.

                        >Or is there another option?

                        If you are feeling adventurous then you can do it in Inkscape:

                        http://hugin.sourceforge.net/tutorials/enblend-svg/

                        ..though hopefully this this summer, the google summer of code
                        'masking' project will make all this redundant.

                        --
                        Bruno
                      • paul womack
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 4, 2008
                          crane@... wrote:
                          > Quoting Erik Krause <erik.krause@...>:
                          > again.
                          >>> http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/bugbear33/workshop.jpg
                          >> Nice old smoothing planes you have!
                          > where is the jar of rabbit skin glue ?

                          Hidden behind other stuff on the shelves.

                          BugBear (with several old tools)
                        • paul womack
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 4, 2008
                            Erik Krause wrote:
                            > In this panorama it's partly hidden behind the ladder:
                            > http://pano.erik-krause.de/ateliers/werkstatt.jpg

                            Ah - hah! A luthier!

                            BugBear
                          • paul womack
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 4, 2008
                              Erik Krause wrote:
                              > On Tuesday, June 03, 2008 at 16:27, paul womack wrote:
                              >
                              >> I've used "panorama" before,
                              >
                              > My versions of hugin (the oldest is 0.7 beta 5) don't have "Panorama"
                              > :-( Which version do you use?

                              About gives me 0.7.0

                              >> My pano is being wrapped top-to-bottom, and opposed to the nice 360
                              >> wrap round I want.
                              >> So - how do I control this?
                              >
                              > First choose cylindrical. Then try "Straighten" in Pano Preview. If
                              > this doesn't work, set pitch to 0.0 for all images, then optimize
                              > again.
                              >
                              >> http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/bugbear33/workshop.jpg
                              >
                              > Nice old smoothing planes you have!

                              Why, thank you.

                              BugBear
                            • paul womack
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 4, 2008
                                paul womack wrote:
                                > Erik Krause wrote:
                                >> On Tuesday, June 03, 2008 at 16:27, paul womack wrote:
                                >>
                                >>> I've used "panorama" before,
                                >> My versions of hugin (the oldest is 0.7 beta 5) don't have "Panorama"
                                >> :-( Which version do you use?
                                >
                                > About gives me 0.7.0
                                >
                                >>> My pano is being wrapped top-to-bottom, and opposed to the nice 360
                                >>> wrap round I want.
                                >>> So - how do I control this?

                                It appears my optimiser had got stuck in a "loop"

                                resetting all the images to be 0,0,0, and then setting
                                roll to 270 (to allow for the portrait mode
                                when taking the shots) and re-optimising
                                suddenly gave me what I wanted.

                                Thanks to all who helped.

                                BugBear
                              • paul womack
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 4, 2008
                                  paul womack wrote:
                                  (reponse below)

                                  > I've just taken a pano sequence. There were several
                                  > people moving about during the shooting.
                                  >
                                  > In some cases I took multiple exposures in a single
                                  > position to get "whole" people in shot (as opposed
                                  > to a person on a picture boundary).
                                  >
                                  > So I *think* I've got all the image information
                                  > I need.
                                  >
                                  > I assume my core editing task is to render data areas
                                  > I don't want transparent.
                                  >
                                  > How do I proceed in Hugin? Do I stitch and then
                                  > edit the (cropped) mapped tiffs?
                                  > (which may be difficult - I'm not sure Gimp
                                  > handles cropped tiff correctly).
                                  >
                                  > Or should I remove data I don't want from the
                                  > un-mapped images?
                                  >
                                  > Or is there another option?
                                  >
                                  > I'm working on Linux, so Hugin and Gimp are
                                  > my main tools, with command line image processing
                                  > via imagemagic and netpbm as my backup.

                                  In case someone else searches the archive, I decide
                                  to proceed by turning my source JPGs into tiffs,
                                  and then removing (making transparent) the unwanted
                                  areas (normally duplicate people) in Gimp
                                  via an Alpha channel (set in the Layer dialog).

                                  I also need to resequence some of the images in
                                  the pano to get my preferred shots to be
                                  dominant (i.e. go on top).

                                  I iterated a few times via the panorama
                                  preview to work out what edits to make.

                                  I did it this way (rather than editing the
                                  mapped tiffs) for two reasons

                                  1) I can now re-map-and-blend at different sizes
                                  2) Gimp doesn't handle cropped tiffs.

                                  Feature request for Hugin; could there be
                                  a reload(refresh?) changed source image.

                                  It was irksome to have to quit and restart
                                  hugin to see the result of a source edit.

                                  BugBear
                                • Bruno Postle
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jun 4, 2008
                                    On Wed 04-Jun-2008 at 14:57 +0100, paul womack wrote:

                                    >Feature request for Hugin; could there be
                                    >a reload(refresh?) changed source image.
                                    >
                                    >It was irksome to have to quit and restart
                                    >hugin to see the result of a source edit.

                                    This is a good suggestion, it would be really useful if you could
                                    add it to the hugin tracker:

                                    https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=77506

                                    --
                                    Bruno