Re: Windows Workflow to create 360 videos?

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 3, 2008
      Yes the hv20/hv30 have very offcentre sensors and the wide angle is
      very wide for the mirror lens -- so you have to zoom in quite a bit

      I have tried to get decent images from 0-360 with not too much
      success but the best results were with the hv30 in still mode so that
      encourages me to persist with video with the hv30

      the hv20/30 in still mode has a autobracket feature btw which helps

      with mirror lens the depth of focus is critical which is why small
      sensors are better -- I got better results with the hv30 in still
      mode than I did with a canontx1 or a dslr

      the focus shd be closer to the dome of the mirror than the base btw

      I tried with tx1 with CHDK firmware hack giving raw, focus bracketing
      etc but still the hv30 in still mode was better

      (but the CHDK software + TX1 is amazing for other apps -- macro
      stereography, lenticular print/panorama camera arrays etc especially
      with the Stereodata Maker version)

      Peter

      > Peter, did yuo experiment that the center of the mirror circle is
      very
      > non-centered too?
      > With my HV20, it is centered horizontally but very uncentered
      vertically.
      > So I lose a lot of resolution (the mirror area is only a small part
      of the
      > frame)
      >
      > However, from my fist tests the output quality is very
      disappointing.
      > Because of the small cicle diameter (about only 800px), a lot of
      blur, and
      > my poor experience.
      > Do you think is it possible to achieve good quality results with
      similar
      > hardware
      > (1 HDV camcorder and 1 parabolic mirror)?
      >
      > If I will not obtain acceptable results, I will try with more HDV
      cameras (3
      > oblique or 4 vertical)
      > using cropped fisheye frames (with lens raynox 185° or FC-E9?) so to
      > increase quality and vfov too.
      > Final cost of the equipment should be about 3000-4000 $. About a
      third of
      > the desired Ladybug2...
      >
      > Giorgio

    • panovrx
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 3, 2008
        I have been testing a Fc-e9 on the hv30 and was not greatly impressed.
        And if you have an array of these your parallax problems will be high.
        The answer for high quality surround video is I think miniature
        fisheye lenses like the machine vision fujinon fisheyes on 3 or 4
        very compact
        1/2" 12bit Gigabit Ethernet sensors using Cineform and Streampix and
        a laptop with a ExpressCard external box with a Raid array = $10,000
        or so
        Peter
        cf too:
        http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/projection/cameras/
        http://www.nabble.com/impressive-nine-camera-360-video-td15890538.html

        > using cropped fisheye frames (with lens raynox 185° or FC-E9?) so to
        > increase quality and vfov too.
        > Final cost of the equipment should be about 3000-4000 $. About a
        third of
        > the desired Ladybug2...
        >
        > Giorgio

      • Benjamin Bouville
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 3, 2008
          Hi all :)

          Interesting topic :) I plan to try 360 video. Does someone could
          advise me about the purchase of the most affordable but suitable
          camcorder to use with a one-shot lens please ?

          Thanks a lot
          Regards.

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Giorgio Marchetto - GIS