Re: Windows Workflow to create 360 videos?

  • Giorgio Marchetto - GIS Solution
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 3, 2008
      Thanks Jim & Peter
      for fast reply

      You suggested me two interesting and different approaches
      1- the most technical with MPRemap
      2- the most 'custom' based on Photoshop

      I will try both.
      I suppose the first one is more time saving too, only a bit complicated to
      work with Panotools commands.

      Peter, did yuo experiment that the center of the mirror circle is very
      non-centered too?
      With my HV20, it is centered horizontally but very uncentered vertically.
      So I lose a lot of resolution (the mirror area is only a small part of the
      frame)

      However, from my fist tests the output quality is very disappointing.
      Because of the small cicle diameter (about only 800px), a lot of blur, and
      my poor experience.
      Do you think is it possible to achieve good quality results with similar
      hardware
      (1 HDV camcorder and 1 parabolic mirror)?

      If I will not obtain acceptable results, I will try with more HDV cameras (3
      oblique or 4 vertical)
      using cropped fisheye frames (with lens raynox 185° or FC-E9?) so to
      increase quality and vfov too.
      Final cost of the equipment should be about 3000-4000 $. About a third of
      the desired Ladybug2...

      Giorgio
    • panovrx
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 3, 2008
        Yes the hv20/hv30 have very offcentre sensors and the wide angle is
        very wide for the mirror lens -- so you have to zoom in quite a bit

        I have tried to get decent images from 0-360 with not too much
        success but the best results were with the hv30 in still mode so that
        encourages me to persist with video with the hv30

        the hv20/30 in still mode has a autobracket feature btw which helps

        with mirror lens the depth of focus is critical which is why small
        sensors are better -- I got better results with the hv30 in still
        mode than I did with a canontx1 or a dslr

        the focus shd be closer to the dome of the mirror than the base btw

        I tried with tx1 with CHDK firmware hack giving raw, focus bracketing
        etc but still the hv30 in still mode was better

        (but the CHDK software + TX1 is amazing for other apps -- macro
        stereography, lenticular print/panorama camera arrays etc especially
        with the Stereodata Maker version)

        Peter

        > Peter, did yuo experiment that the center of the mirror circle is
        very
        > non-centered too?
        > With my HV20, it is centered horizontally but very uncentered
        vertically.
        > So I lose a lot of resolution (the mirror area is only a small part
        of the
        > frame)
        >
        > However, from my fist tests the output quality is very
        disappointing.
        > Because of the small cicle diameter (about only 800px), a lot of
        blur, and
        > my poor experience.
        > Do you think is it possible to achieve good quality results with
        similar
        > hardware
        > (1 HDV camcorder and 1 parabolic mirror)?
        >
        > If I will not obtain acceptable results, I will try with more HDV
        cameras (3
        > oblique or 4 vertical)
        > using cropped fisheye frames (with lens raynox 185° or FC-E9?) so to
        > increase quality and vfov too.
        > Final cost of the equipment should be about 3000-4000 $. About a
        third of
        > the desired Ladybug2...
        >
        > Giorgio

      • panovrx
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 3, 2008
          I have been testing a Fc-e9 on the hv30 and was not greatly impressed.
          And if you have an array of these your parallax problems will be high.
          The answer for high quality surround video is I think miniature
          fisheye lenses like the machine vision fujinon fisheyes on 3 or 4
          very compact
          1/2" 12bit Gigabit Ethernet sensors using Cineform and Streampix and
          a laptop with a ExpressCard external box with a Raid array = $10,000
          or so
          Peter
          cf too:
          http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/projection/cameras/
          http://www.nabble.com/impressive-nine-camera-360-video-td15890538.html

          > using cropped fisheye frames (with lens raynox 185° or FC-E9?) so to
          > increase quality and vfov too.
          > Final cost of the equipment should be about 3000-4000 $. About a
          third of
          > the desired Ladybug2...
          >
          > Giorgio

        • Benjamin Bouville
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 3, 2008
            Hi all :)

            Interesting topic :) I plan to try 360 video. Does someone could
            advise me about the purchase of the most affordable but suitable
            camcorder to use with a one-shot lens please ?

            Thanks a lot
            Regards.

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Giorgio Marchetto - GIS