The return of IPIX

  • Tamas Varga
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
      Hi All,

      just to let you know that IPIX is not dead
      http://www.securityinfowatch.com/online/The-Latest-for-Manufacturers/IPIX-readies-for-a-comeback/15897SIW304

      and "Welcome to PictoSphere™, inventors of spherical photography."
      http://www.pictosphere.com/

      Now we are a more relaxed community of panographers / VRists that we
      know who is the deity, though we will not worship them :-)

      My best
      Tamas

      http://www.panograph.hu
      http://www.budapest360.hu
      http://www.beijing360.cn
      http://www.worldpanoramastock.com
    • johncharlesriley
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
        Hmm, so Ford Oxaal is now IPIX? Did not know that. I am also struggling to think what
        IPIX/PictoSphere has that Realviz/Autodesk could want to license. Anybody understand
        what that is all about?

        I have never heard a single person on this list or elsewhere say that they use Ford's
        PictoStitch Pro. Has anyone here even tried it? Anyone use it?

        John

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Tamas Varga" <tvarga@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > just to let you know that IPIX is not dead
        > http://www.securityinfowatch.com/online/The-Latest-for-Manufacturers/IPIX-readies-
        for-a-comeback/15897SIW304

        > and "Welcome to PictoSphere™, inventors of spherical photography."
        > http://www.pictosphere.com/
        >
        > Now we are a more relaxed community of panographers / VRists that we
        > know who is the deity, though we will not worship them :-)
        >
        > My best
        > Tamas
        >
        > http://www.panograph.hu
        > http://www.budapest360.hu
        > http://www.beijing360.cn
        > http://www.worldpanoramastock.com

      • Fernando Chaves
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
          Hi,
          It's an old and very, very, long story.
          Part of Oxaal's version can be read here:

          http://www.pictosphere.com/kwx/patents-more.html

          he claims to be the inventor of immersive image. And he patented his
          invention in the USA, around 2000.
          Then some people from Ipix (his former partner or boss) has also patented
          Oxaal's invention. There was a law suit Oxaal X Ipix.
          Oxaal won Ipix...but Ipix has lots of money and starts suing or threatening
          people from USA, Europe, Australia doing panos or immersive images (>180°)
          using fisheye lenses. They sue Helmut Dersch, making shut down he's site and
          email list.
          And so on. Sounds like a nightmare or a tale.

          Fernando Chaves
          1 514 667-6281
          1 514 467-9800

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
            On 04/06/2008, at 3:38 AM, johncharlesriley wrote:
            > Hmm, so Ford Oxaal is now IPIX? Did not know that.

            ROFL!!! I nearly fell off my chair when I read that story! Well, well
            how the worm has turned.

            > I am also struggling to think what
            > IPIX/PictoSphere has that Realviz/Autodesk could want to license.
            > Anybody understand
            > what that is all about?

            Really short synopsis without digging through years of old mail ...
            Ford (when much younger and inexperienced in the ways of "big-
            business") took his (fortunately patented) idea to Ipix (or
            TeleRobotics International (TRI) as they were called at the time) and
            gave them a demo. They said (effectively) nice but don't call us
            we'll call you. Thereafter they came out with their "own" product
            which (surprise, surprise) was what Ford had basically shown them.

            http://tinyurl.com/3sczng

            There ensued a lengthy, costly law suit for patent infringement which
            took years (as these things do) during which Ipoo (er sorry, Ipix ;-)
            built their empire, sued Helmut (and everyone else they thought they
            could bluff) and basically single-handedly dragged VR tours back into
            the dark ages with their poor quality, cheap prices and crazy
            licencing scheme, in the fall-out driving a lot of good pano-graphers
            into other fields to survive.

            Then as the court case drew to it's inevitable conclusion, they
            basically filleted their businesses, selling off parts of it left
            right and center (oh and all this time they kept getting heaps of
            investors to sink capital in to keep them afloat).

            Ford won, they agreed to "licence" his technology, but by now they
            were in deep do-do.

            I seem to recall not that long ago (so probably a few years back??)
            Realviz licencing something from someone ... details are hazy, would
            have to dig through old mail ...

            I completely missed the part where Ford got his hands (as CEO) on the
            Ipix business, but there is poetic justice for you!

            Does this portend anything for us? Good or "evil" ... dunno. Ford has
            always insisted he was not interested in pursuing people the way Ipoo
            did ... but that was when he was younger and less experienced in the
            ways of "big business" ... I think I wish him well, I certainly
            appreciate the irony!

            Cheers,
            KathyW.

          • crane@ukonline.co.uk
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
              Quoting Kathy Wheeler <kathyw@...>:

              > On 04/06/2008, at 3:38 AM, johncharlesriley wrote:
              > > Hmm, so Ford Oxaal is now IPIX? Did not know that.
              >
              > ROFL!!! I nearly fell off my chair when I read that story! Well, well
              > how the worm has turned.

              I just remember reading he got stiffed by the bad guys( what does that mean )
              I think he is welcome aboard.

              regards

              mick

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
                'got stiffed' means 'not compensated faiirly'

                On 03 Jun 2008, at 17:44, crane@... wrote:

                > Quoting Kathy Wheeler <kathyw@home. albury.net. au>:
                >

                > > On 04/06/2008, at 3:38 AM, johncharlesriley wrote:
                > > > Hmm, so Ford Oxaal is now IPIX? Did not know that.
                > >
                > > ROFL!!! I nearly fell off my chair when I read that story! Well,
                > well
                > > how the worm has turned.
                >
                > I just remember reading he got stiffed by the bad guys( what does
                > that mean )
                > I think he is welcome aboard.
                >
                > regards
                >
                > mick

              • Jook Leung
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
                  Along the way I've met Ford few times and also talk on the phone with
                  him. He has a cowboy personality with a wiry sense of humor and
                  choses to live in a small rural town in upstate New York with his
                  family. During Pictosphere he was like a one man shop along with his
                  lawyers fighting ipix. In the end he took ipix home on a plate. The
                  recent news with the licensing deals with Grandeye and Autodesk shows
                  he is a mighty shrew business guy.

                  With ipix now a Minds Eye View subsidiary, he's a 2 man operation
                  with the former head of ipix software engineering. They do customer
                  support for existing ipix customers and is moving into 360 video for
                  entertainment venues.

                  Here's a 360VR of Ford Oxaal with his ipix 6mm fisheye:
                  http://360vr.com/Ford_Oxaal/

                  Jook

                  On Jun 3, 2008, at 1:38 PM, johncharlesriley wrote:

                  > Hmm, so Ford Oxaal is now IPIX? Did not know that. I am also
                  > struggling to think what
                  > IPIX/PictoSphere has that Realviz/Autodesk could want to license.
                  > Anybody understand
                  > what that is all about?
                  >
                  > I have never heard a single person on this list or elsewhere say
                  > that they use Ford's
                  > PictoStitch Pro. Has anyone here even tried it? Anyone use it?
                  >
                  > John
                  >
                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Tamas Varga" <tvarga@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi All,
                  > >
                  > > just to let you know that IPIX is not dead
                  > > http://www.securityinfowatch.com/online/The-Latest-for-
                  > Manufacturers/IPIX-readies-
                  > for-a-comeback/15897SIW304
                  > >
                  > > and "Welcome to PictoSphere�, inventors of spherical photography."
                  > > http://www.pictosphere.com/
                  > >
                  > > Now we are a more relaxed community of panographers / VRists that we
                  > > know who is the deity, though we will not worship them :-)
                  > >
                  > > My best
                  > > Tamas
                  > >
                  > > http://www.panograph.hu
                  > > http://www.budapest360.hu
                  > > http://www.beijing360.cn
                  > > http://www.worldpanoramastock.com

                  Jook Leung Photography
                  360VR Images - 360 degree Panoramic photography
                  Web: http://360vr.com
                  E-mail: jook@...
                  Mobile: 201 679 6177

                • John Riley
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
                    On Jun 3, 2008, at 10:16 PM, Jook Leung wrote:

                    > Here's a 360VR of Ford Oxaal with his ipix 6mm fisheye:
                    > http://360vr.com/Ford_Oxaal/

                    LOL! Seeing him holding that lens immediately made me recall the old
                    Burger King advertisement slogan: "It takes two hands to handle a
                    Whopper."

                    Thanks for the history review from some of you, but I actually know
                    all of that. I just didn't quite grasp what Realviz could want from
                    IPIX/Oxaal. They already apparently have a license to use two
                    circular fisheyes to make a pano, so what else could they want?

                    And seriously, has anyone ever tried out Ford's PictoStitch Pro
                    software?

                    John Riley
                    johnriley@...
                    jriley@...