Re: [PanoToolsNG] Windows Workflow to create 360 videos?

  • Jim Watters
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2008
      Use Helmut Dersch's Motion Panoramas stitcher
      http://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/~dersch/mp/MotionPanoramas.html
      with ffmpeg you should be able to do both input the .mpeg2 file directly
      and output the .flv file.

      You just need to figure out the script to use to convert your one shot
      lens to a spherical image. Depending on the projection of the image
      that is captured it may not convert directly.

      Jim

      --
      Jim Watters

      Yahoo ID: j1vvy ymsgr:sendIM?j1vvy
      jwatters @ photocreations . ca
      http://photocreations.ca
    • panovrx
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2008
        Hi Giorgio
        I have a HV30 video camera and a 0-360 mirror lens.
        I convert to frames and then crop to the circle and
        batch with Photoshop/filter/distort/polarcoordinates
        -- then resize, rotate and canvas size
        ... then I select a section at the bottom of the image in frame and
        resize it to make it a bit taller -- ie. stretch it a bit --- because
        otherwise it is a bit squashed looking in the lower half of the frame

        it sounds rather random but you only have to work it out the once
        --- I find the cropping by trial and error with Deval checking to
        see if my scene verticals and horizontals stay straight -- then I
        know I have the centre of frame correct vertically

        Peter Murphy
        www.mediavr.com/blog

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Giorgio Marchetto - GIS

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 3, 2008
          Thanks Jim & Peter
          for fast reply

          You suggested me two interesting and different approaches
          1- the most technical with MPRemap
          2- the most 'custom' based on Photoshop

          I will try both.
          I suppose the first one is more time saving too, only a bit complicated to
          work with Panotools commands.

          Peter, did yuo experiment that the center of the mirror circle is very
          non-centered too?
          With my HV20, it is centered horizontally but very uncentered vertically.
          So I lose a lot of resolution (the mirror area is only a small part of the
          frame)

          However, from my fist tests the output quality is very disappointing.
          Because of the small cicle diameter (about only 800px), a lot of blur, and
          my poor experience.
          Do you think is it possible to achieve good quality results with similar
          hardware
          (1 HDV camcorder and 1 parabolic mirror)?

          If I will not obtain acceptable results, I will try with more HDV cameras (3
          oblique or 4 vertical)
          using cropped fisheye frames (with lens raynox 185° or FC-E9?) so to
          increase quality and vfov too.
          Final cost of the equipment should be about 3000-4000 $. About a third of
          the desired Ladybug2...

          Giorgio
        • panovrx
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 3, 2008
            Yes the hv20/hv30 have very offcentre sensors and the wide angle is
            very wide for the mirror lens -- so you have to zoom in quite a bit

            I have tried to get decent images from 0-360 with not too much
            success but the best results were with the hv30 in still mode so that
            encourages me to persist with video with the hv30

            the hv20/30 in still mode has a autobracket feature btw which helps

            with mirror lens the depth of focus is critical which is why small
            sensors are better -- I got better results with the hv30 in still
            mode than I did with a canontx1 or a dslr

            the focus shd be closer to the dome of the mirror than the base btw

            I tried with tx1 with CHDK firmware hack giving raw, focus bracketing
            etc but still the hv30 in still mode was better

            (but the CHDK software + TX1 is amazing for other apps -- macro
            stereography, lenticular print/panorama camera arrays etc especially
            with the Stereodata Maker version)

            Peter

            > Peter, did yuo experiment that the center of the mirror circle is
            very
            > non-centered too?
            > With my HV20, it is centered horizontally but very uncentered
            vertically.
            > So I lose a lot of resolution (the mirror area is only a small part
            of the
            > frame)
            >
            > However, from my fist tests the output quality is very
            disappointing.
            > Because of the small cicle diameter (about only 800px), a lot of
            blur, and
            > my poor experience.
            > Do you think is it possible to achieve good quality results with
            similar
            > hardware
            > (1 HDV camcorder and 1 parabolic mirror)?
            >
            > If I will not obtain acceptable results, I will try with more HDV
            cameras (3
            > oblique or 4 vertical)
            > using cropped fisheye frames (with lens raynox 185° or FC-E9?) so to
            > increase quality and vfov too.
            > Final cost of the equipment should be about 3000-4000 $. About a
            third of
            > the desired Ladybug2...
            >
            > Giorgio

          • panovrx
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 3, 2008
              I have been testing a Fc-e9 on the hv30 and was not greatly impressed.
              And if you have an array of these your parallax problems will be high.
              The answer for high quality surround video is I think miniature
              fisheye lenses like the machine vision fujinon fisheyes on 3 or 4
              very compact
              1/2" 12bit Gigabit Ethernet sensors using Cineform and Streampix and
              a laptop with a ExpressCard external box with a Raid array = $10,000
              or so
              Peter
              cf too:
              http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/projection/cameras/
              http://www.nabble.com/impressive-nine-camera-360-video-td15890538.html

              > using cropped fisheye frames (with lens raynox 185° or FC-E9?) so to
              > increase quality and vfov too.
              > Final cost of the equipment should be about 3000-4000 $. About a
              third of
              > the desired Ladybug2...
              >
              > Giorgio

            • Benjamin Bouville
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 3, 2008
                Hi all :)

                Interesting topic :) I plan to try 360 video. Does someone could
                advise me about the purchase of the most affordable but suitable
                camcorder to use with a one-shot lens please ?

                Thanks a lot
                Regards.