Windows Workflow to create 360 videos?

  • Giorgio Marchetto - GIS Solution
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2 11:13 AM
      Hello panofriends
      My question is: which is the best Windows workflow to create 360 videos
      [using a HDV camcorder and a one shot lens]
      to view with Pano2VR flash player or Lucid flash player?

      I have a CanonHV20 and a One Shot Lens.

      Actually my workflow is:
      1-shot 25p spherical mirror video
      2-convert .mpeg2 to .avi and import into Imatronics Interactive video
      3-create panoramic video with the same program
      4-confert to .flv or desired format

      #2 point is critical because the program is buggy
      most times it crashes in my PC
      and I only evaluate it (I don't want to spend 200$ for this program)

      A solution could be using special version of the Panotools plugin of
      Mr.Dersch
      to convert frame by frame donut (raw circular) video to panoramic video.

      thanks in advance for your help

      G.Marchetto
    • Jim Watters
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2 4:39 PM
        Use Helmut Dersch's Motion Panoramas stitcher
        http://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/~dersch/mp/MotionPanoramas.html
        with ffmpeg you should be able to do both input the .mpeg2 file directly
        and output the .flv file.

        You just need to figure out the script to use to convert your one shot
        lens to a spherical image. Depending on the projection of the image
        that is captured it may not convert directly.

        Jim

        --
        Jim Watters

        Yahoo ID: j1vvy ymsgr:sendIM?j1vvy
        jwatters @ photocreations . ca
        http://photocreations.ca
      • panovrx
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2 8:43 PM
          Hi Giorgio
          I have a HV30 video camera and a 0-360 mirror lens.
          I convert to frames and then crop to the circle and
          batch with Photoshop/filter/distort/polarcoordinates
          -- then resize, rotate and canvas size
          ... then I select a section at the bottom of the image in frame and
          resize it to make it a bit taller -- ie. stretch it a bit --- because
          otherwise it is a bit squashed looking in the lower half of the frame

          it sounds rather random but you only have to work it out the once
          --- I find the cropping by trial and error with Deval checking to
          see if my scene verticals and horizontals stay straight -- then I
          know I have the centre of frame correct vertically

          Peter Murphy
          www.mediavr.com/blog

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Giorgio Marchetto - GIS

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 3 4:58 AM
            Thanks Jim & Peter
            for fast reply

            You suggested me two interesting and different approaches
            1- the most technical with MPRemap
            2- the most 'custom' based on Photoshop

            I will try both.
            I suppose the first one is more time saving too, only a bit complicated to
            work with Panotools commands.

            Peter, did yuo experiment that the center of the mirror circle is very
            non-centered too?
            With my HV20, it is centered horizontally but very uncentered vertically.
            So I lose a lot of resolution (the mirror area is only a small part of the
            frame)

            However, from my fist tests the output quality is very disappointing.
            Because of the small cicle diameter (about only 800px), a lot of blur, and
            my poor experience.
            Do you think is it possible to achieve good quality results with similar
            hardware
            (1 HDV camcorder and 1 parabolic mirror)?

            If I will not obtain acceptable results, I will try with more HDV cameras (3
            oblique or 4 vertical)
            using cropped fisheye frames (with lens raynox 185° or FC-E9?) so to
            increase quality and vfov too.
            Final cost of the equipment should be about 3000-4000 $. About a third of
            the desired Ladybug2...

            Giorgio
          • panovrx
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 3 6:35 AM
              Yes the hv20/hv30 have very offcentre sensors and the wide angle is
              very wide for the mirror lens -- so you have to zoom in quite a bit

              I have tried to get decent images from 0-360 with not too much
              success but the best results were with the hv30 in still mode so that
              encourages me to persist with video with the hv30

              the hv20/30 in still mode has a autobracket feature btw which helps

              with mirror lens the depth of focus is critical which is why small
              sensors are better -- I got better results with the hv30 in still
              mode than I did with a canontx1 or a dslr

              the focus shd be closer to the dome of the mirror than the base btw

              I tried with tx1 with CHDK firmware hack giving raw, focus bracketing
              etc but still the hv30 in still mode was better

              (but the CHDK software + TX1 is amazing for other apps -- macro
              stereography, lenticular print/panorama camera arrays etc especially
              with the Stereodata Maker version)

              Peter

              > Peter, did yuo experiment that the center of the mirror circle is
              very
              > non-centered too?
              > With my HV20, it is centered horizontally but very uncentered
              vertically.
              > So I lose a lot of resolution (the mirror area is only a small part
              of the
              > frame)
              >
              > However, from my fist tests the output quality is very
              disappointing.
              > Because of the small cicle diameter (about only 800px), a lot of
              blur, and
              > my poor experience.
              > Do you think is it possible to achieve good quality results with
              similar
              > hardware
              > (1 HDV camcorder and 1 parabolic mirror)?
              >
              > If I will not obtain acceptable results, I will try with more HDV
              cameras (3
              > oblique or 4 vertical)
              > using cropped fisheye frames (with lens raynox 185° or FC-E9?) so to
              > increase quality and vfov too.
              > Final cost of the equipment should be about 3000-4000 $. About a
              third of
              > the desired Ladybug2...
              >
              > Giorgio

            • panovrx
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 3 7:01 AM
                I have been testing a Fc-e9 on the hv30 and was not greatly impressed.
                And if you have an array of these your parallax problems will be high.
                The answer for high quality surround video is I think miniature
                fisheye lenses like the machine vision fujinon fisheyes on 3 or 4
                very compact
                1/2" 12bit Gigabit Ethernet sensors using Cineform and Streampix and
                a laptop with a ExpressCard external box with a Raid array = $10,000
                or so
                Peter
                cf too:
                http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/projection/cameras/
                http://www.nabble.com/impressive-nine-camera-360-video-td15890538.html

                > using cropped fisheye frames (with lens raynox 185° or FC-E9?) so to
                > increase quality and vfov too.
                > Final cost of the equipment should be about 3000-4000 $. About a
                third of
                > the desired Ladybug2...
                >
                > Giorgio

              • Benjamin Bouville
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 3 11:57 AM
                  Hi all :)

                  Interesting topic :) I plan to try 360 video. Does someone could
                  advise me about the purchase of the most affordable but suitable
                  camcorder to use with a one-shot lens please ?

                  Thanks a lot
                  Regards.